Vinyl Me Please Essentials

IMO the best “Best Albums” list are probably the Village Voice Paz and Jop Yearly polls. I look through those on occasion and it’s still interesting how albums reputations have changed as time has passed. The biggest issue with those is the same with most music criticism up to the Popism revolution of the early 2000’s most music critics had a Rockist bent. Still I think they are some f the best curated lists ever compiled.

IMO the best “Best Albums” list are probably the Village Voice Paz and Jop Yearly polls. I look through those on occasion and it’s still interesting how albums reputations have changed as time has passed. The biggest issue with those is the same with most music criticism up to the Popism revolution of the early 2000’s most music critics had a Rockist bent. Still I think they are some f the best curated lists ever compiled.

RIP Pazz and jop

An oral history of Sign of the Times courtesy of the BBC.

An oral history of Voodoo will never be written, nor would anyone be interested to read it.
Well this oral history wasn't "written" ;) .

Clearly he was very much inspired by Prince and Hendrix according to it though.

oral history of Voodoo will never be written, nor would anyone be interested to read it.
Still, I understand why Voodoo ranked higher than Sign O’ The Times, just like I understand how Purple Rain ranked higher than Voodoo!

There’s a reason why Voodoo ranked so highly on the list; because it’s a freaking masterpiece! A lot of people think it’s the best album of the 2000’s; cough @Ghost cough!

Voodoo is still sounds very fresh! It’s contemporary, organic, buttery smooth, sensual, political, comforting and is an album where the instrumentals and vocals are beautifully layered! Crisp and dense, yet smooth and intricate! Voodoo is magnificent, it’s an album that melts in your mouth! ❤️

An oral history of Sign of the Times courtesy of the BBC.

An oral history of Voodoo will never be written, nor would anyone be interested to read it.
This is pretty myopic take. I love SOTT too but a simple google search I found this...
And this...
And this...

I understand someone enjoying one album over another but to act like Voodoo is trash is laughable.

I personally don’t care much for Frank Ocean’s Blond but I understand it is an important generation defining album and I’m not gonna argue with anyone who agrees with that sentiment.

Last edited:
This is pretty myopic take. I love SOTT too but a simple google search I found this...
And this...
And this...

I understand someone enjoying one album over another but to act like Voodoo is trash is laughable.

I personally don’t care much for Frank Ocean’s Blonde but I understand it is an important generation defining album and and not gonna argue with anyone who agrees with that sentiment.

Yes... I should have added a “ :cool: “ to signal the post was meant to be cheeky and flippant, not aggressive or snide.

No one believes Voodoo is trash.
I was just stirring the pot a bit but did not signal that appropriately.

My bad.

Pet Sound was inspired by by Rubber Soul. Creative and Interesting art begat creative and interesting art.
Hey I was jumping on the supporting an oral history of the importance of Voodoo train. Same page, but Questlove and Elevado talk about D being inspired by Hendrix and Prince (and Prince was at Electric Lady at one point apparently) in there, which was interesting considering @The Commish's recent comments, that's all I meant.

Yes... I should have added a “ :cool: “ to signal the post was meant to be cheeky and flippant, not aggressive or snide.

No one believes Voodoo is trash.
I was just stirring the pot a bit but did not signal that appropriately.

My bad.
LOL, we are good. I relish the opportunity for debate. Please do not take anything personal, you are a good sport. I didn’t take anything you have stated in a hostile manner. Music opinion is a fun thing to argue about as there is no right or wrong answers, just make sure you show your work. 🤠

Hey I was jumping on the supporting an oral history of the importance of Voodoo train. Same page, but Questlove and Elevado talk about D being inspired by Hendrix and Prince (and Prince was at Electric Lady at one point apparently) in there, which was interesting considering @The Commish's recent comments, that's all I meant.
Sorry, I got what you were saying I was attempting to back up your statement.

And this...
And this...

I personally don’t care much for Frank Ocean’s Blond but I understand it is an important generation defining album and and not gonna argue with anyone who agrees with that sentiment.
I prefer both Brown Sugar & Black Messiah over Voodoo 🙊. And I also prefer both GKMC & Damn over To Pimp A Butterfly. I'm a heathen😂

tbh i think voodoo might actually be his worst album... i never got why everyone called it one of his best when it was very much too long and too complicated
mmmm It is a very long album like with Prince's Sign O' The Times, OutKast's Stankonia, Stevie Wonder's Songs in the key of Life, Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly, but nonetheless is all quality - just like with those albums I mentioned which all also ranked strongly in the RollingStones #500 albums of all-time list!

I think the songs on Voodoo are very memorable and catchy; it's certainly less complicated that Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly for example. Voodoo is just a very layered, rich album instrumentally and D'Angelo's vocals on Voodoo are angelic and buttery smooth!

And you have the Raphael Saadiq who produced the centrepiece of the record; Untitled (How Does It Feel) - an epic, slow-burning, yearning, sultry ballad that is so passionate and so sexy that when it hits the spot, you will make you want to cry tears of joy!

Back