Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Well this is interesting, as I believe @folsom_lives mentioned yesterday, side 2 sounds... pretty bad. Very sibilant and tinny. Strange. Total 180 from Side One. I'll have to check it against the digital version but yeah side two doesn't sound very good.

EDIT: Well after listening to the digital, this is pretty much what those three tracks sound like, in fact the digital version of "Break You Off" is painful, so this remaster is actually much better. So while side two is sibilant, that's pretty much just what those tracks are so, nothing to really worry about there. Would have been nice to get rid of it but I'm pretty sure the Roots masters were some of the ones burnt up in that warehouse fire several years ago so they probably had to work off digital masters.

On to side 3.
That is exactly the experience I had with my OG too. Was hoping they would fix that, but it may just be in the recording and not fixable. It is pretty wild that the other sides sound quite great though. Some of the best songs are on side 2 too and it does indeed sound the worst. The Seed is the worst sounding song on the whole album on my copy unfortunately and Break It Off is just as bad. It’s more the vocals than anything though, the instruments/beats don’t seem to have any distortion. I’ll try to compare it when I get it later this week or early next.

That is exactly the experience I had with my OG too. Was hoping they would fix that, but it may just be in the recording and not fixable. It is pretty wild that the other sides sound quite great though. Some of the best songs are on side 2 too and it does indeed sound the worst. The Seed is the worst sounding song on the whole album on my copy unfortunately and Break It Off is just as bad. It’s more the vocals than anything though, the instruments/beats don’t seem to have any distortion. I’ll try to compare it when I get it later this week or early next.
I will say it's definitely better than the OG master that I streamed on Spotify. But still not great. "The Seed" is better than "Break You Off" for sure on the new LP. But when I steamed it "Break You Off" was actually painful to listen to so it's DEFINITELY better than that, but it's still sibilant for sure, but I think you'll be happy as it should sound better. But it's definitely not as nice as I'd hoped for.

Last edited:
I'M SORRY I DIDN'T EXPECT MY STUPID JOKE TO START A DEBATE

One time in a guess thread I made it fit the Shaggs, and then I come back an hour later and it's like 5 pages on and @NathanRicaud is near tears trying to convince himself that maybe he'll learn to like the Shaggs? Maybe it's ART and he just can't hear it yet??

It was one of the best days of my life.

I will say it's definitely better than the OG master that I steamed on Spotify. But still not great. "The Seed" is better than "Break You Off" for sure on the new LP. But when I steamed it "Break You Off" was actually painful to listen to so it's DEFINITELY better than that, but it's still sibilant for sure, but I think you'll be happy as it should sound better. But it's definitely not as nice as I'd hoped for.
This pretty much sums up my experience...

The roots artwork is easily the best so far this year, it's that "before phenology" comic that I thought was just free for every single version. It's very nice and id love more stuff like that, it very slightly brings back the club aspect by giving you a history of the band

The roots artwork is easily the best so far this year, it's that "before phenology" comic that I thought was just free for every single version. It's very nice and id love more stuff like that, it very slightly brings back the club aspect by giving you a history of the band
I agree, that comic actually adds something to the release unlike most of the artwork that comes with these. Like I actually consider it a part of the album package as opposed to this extra thing that got thrown in. Good job by the artist on this one. I'd love for more stuff like this or the actual artist photos like we got... last month I think?

I agree, that comic actually adds something to the release unlike most of the artwork that comes with these. Like I actually consider it a part of the album package as opposed to this extra thing that got thrown in. Good job by the artist on this one. I'd love for more stuff like this or the actual artist photos like we got... last month I think?
The last 2 months actually

But yeah when I saw the artwork in the trailer I thought "ok this is a cool insert that comes with the vinyl" but seeing it as the art was very nice

The last 2 months actually

But yeah when I saw the artwork in the trailer I thought "ok this is a cool insert that comes with the vinyl" but seeing it as the art was very nice
Also really liking the artwork. The actual jacket though...kind of disappointing. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but not this...it feels like really cheap stock.

First thing I noticed with The Roots is that this is a different master compared to the OG, maybe the CD? Not surprising since there’s been talk that the original masters were thought to be lost in the Universal Fire (someone mentioned that here I think). There’s a false start on The Seed on the OG and this one doesn’t have that. There might be other differences as well that I’m not picking up. I think there are slight pauses between songs on the OG and not the case on the VMP. Break You Off sounds absolutely terrible on VMP one (lots of distortion in the vocals, the instruments sound good though. Maybe a line stylus might be able to make it sound better if it’s a tracking issue) and sounds better on the OG but not by much. I’m only through record one but those are the major differences I’ve noticed so far. Maybe a touch more bass on the VMP version. Both versions sound quite good for what it’s worth (minus Break You Off and The Seed to some extent), especially side one.

The packaging is fantastic though! Really like the comic art print and the redesigned cover art is cool too. Wish it was a nice gatefold but the OG is a single sleeve too.

First thing I noticed with The Roots is that this is a different master compared to the OG, maybe the CD? Not surprising since there’s been talk that the original masters were thought to be lost in the Universal Fire (someone mentioned that here I think). There’s a false start on The Seed on the OG and this one doesn’t have that. There might be other differences as well that I’m not picking up. I think there are slight pauses between songs on the OG and not the case on the VMP. Break You Off sounds absolutely terrible on VMP one (lots of distortion in the vocals, the instruments sound good though. Maybe a line stylus might be able to make it sound better if it’s a tracking issue) and sounds better on the OG but not by much. I’m only through record one but those are the major differences I’ve noticed so far. Maybe a touch more bass on the VMP version. Both versions sound quite good for what it’s worth (minus Break You Off and The Seed to some extent), especially side one.

The packaging is fantastic though! Really like the comic art print and the redesigned cover art is cool too. Wish it was a nice gatefold but the OG is a single sleeve too.

Quills and Pussy Galore have pretty distorted vocals too. Side 4 is sounding great though... Complexity is fantastic.

Quills and Pussy Galore have pretty distorted vocals too. Side 4 is sounding great though... Complexity is fantastic.
Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Back