Vinyl Me Please Essentials

First thing I noticed with The Roots is that this is a different master compared to the OG, maybe the CD? Not surprising since there’s been talk that the original masters were thought to be lost in the Universal Fire (someone mentioned that here I think)
VMP admitted that ryan smith was given digital files for this reissue

Storf & Co said:
New lacquers were cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound from digital sources

Which isn’t a bad thing to be fair. It does sound pretty good minus a few songs that will never sound good. Just too bad that they couldn’t use the original master for whatever reason.
just wanted to note that.. yes it has been confirmed that this is a digitally sourced master... personally doesn't bug me as i know the science behind a digital file means that as long as the album as the rest of the process (mastering, plating, pressing) is fine it will have no sonic issues, and whats important to me, no specific parts of the music lost, like a missing detail that could make it beautiful

also to note.. maybe its because i only heard the spotify, but the seed sounds perfectly fine (maybe a little brighter and doesn't have as much of a bassy punch which is weird because the bass was pretty prominent here) and i didn't notice any missing false start

Which isn’t a bad thing to be fair. It does sound pretty good minus a few songs that will never sound good. Just too bad that they couldn’t use the original master for whatever reason.

The original master was sadly lost in a fire.

also to note.. maybe its because i only heard the spotify, but the seed sounds perfectly fine (maybe a little brighter and doesn't have as much of a bassy punch which is weird because the bass was pretty prominent here) and i didn't notice any missing false start
The false start is on the original vinyl. It’s pretty cool actually and gives a real live band in studio type of sound to it. I might be able to rip both copies to audacity and share them if anyone cares. Not sure when I will have the time though.

Love the Phrenology package. Seconded that the print is maybe the best they’ve ever done. It’s unique and informative and creative. Really awesome and it feels like an actual addition that makes the package special. More like that please.
That jacket is really great as well though I wish it was a gatefold instead of single pocket.

I really can't get into Caroline Rose. Lots of my friends are into her, and she seems up my alley genre-wise but I can't get into it at all, and the new songs of this record aren't doing it for me either. Am I alone on this one??

I quite enjoyed the last album. We got the new one at the station this week. I listened to it and it not at all like I was expecting.

I really can't get into Caroline Rose. Lots of my friends are into her, and she seems up my alley genre-wise but I can't get into it at all, and the new songs of this record aren't doing it for me either. Am I alone on this one??
I really didn't like 'Feel The Way I Want' but 'Freak Like Me' is 100mph up my alley. Probably won't get the album though.

Back