Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Trying to decide if I should get this. I'm not really into hip hop, but I have Raising Hell and Three Feet High (bc I'm old) and those are pretty much the only albums I can play that my kids won't complain about bc they like hip hop. I do like what little I've heard from the Roots, so I'm curious to give this a chance, but is it even appropriate to play around kids under 10?
The biggest single is probably “The Seed 2.0” which was played on the radio and MTV with some regularity upon its initial release. That being said it’s a song celebrating knocking up women. So, I don’t know if it’s appropriate per se but I find the prospect of a small child singing the “I push my seed in her bush for life...” chorus to be quite hilarious. That being said I am the terrible uncle tha gives my Niece and Nephews positive reinforcement when they use swear words so I might not be the best person to offer a reply on this matter.

The biggest single is probably “The Seed 2.0” which was played on the radio and MTV with some regularity upon its initial release. That being said it’s a song celebrating knocking up women. So, I don’t know if it’s appropriate per se but I find the prospect of a small child singing the “I push my seed in her bush for life...” chorus to be quite hilarious. That being said I am the terrible uncle tha gives my Niece and Nephews positive reinforcement when they use swear words so I might not be the best person to offer a reply on this matter.
Haha, I don't think those lyrics are meant to be taken as literally as you have taken them.

When I listen to Phillies games on the radio they always have The Seed as the transition music when they come back from commercial breaks.

Haha, I don't think those lyrics are meant to be taken as literally as you have taken them.
Yeah this is where it starts getting tricky. If taken at face value its a song about a man cheating behind his 'lovers back' to get another woman pregnant so his legacy lives on. BUT the Roots rarely write lyrics to be taken at face value. The opening lyrics 'She wants neo soul cause hip hop is old. She don't want no rock'n roll. She want platinum, ice and gold' is setting up the analogy of the music industry being the woman in question. So 'I only want to fertilize another behind my lover's back. I sit and watch it grow standin' where I'm at ' is The Roots saying they dont want to stick to traditional Hip-Hop and instead want to venture into other genres, merge them, then watch where that takes them musically.

I could go on but lets face it, a 10-year old wont be looking that deep at the lyrics :LOL:

Yeah this is where it starts getting tricky. If taken at face value its a song about a man cheating behind his 'lovers back' to get another woman pregnant so his legacy lives on. BUT the Roots rarely write lyrics to be taken at face value. The opening lyrics 'She wants neo soul cause hip hop is old. She don't want no rock'n roll. She want platinum, ice and gold' is setting up the analogy of the music industry being the woman in question. So 'I only want to fertilize another behind my lover's back. I sit and watch it grow standin' where I'm at ' is The Roots saying they dont want to stick to traditional Hip-Hop and instead want to venture into other genres, merge them, then watch where that takes them musically.

I could go on but lets face it, a 10-year old wont be looking that deep at the lyrics :LOL:
Agreed, but let's make it clear that Cody Chestnutt gets a writer credit!

Anyone know mastering details for Phrenology? I have a pretty clean OG and it sounds great (cut at Sterling) but some songs are a little sibilant. Hope they fix that. I also have to wait to pick this one up second hand. Is it a gatefold? Sorry some of this info might not be available yet... also, the first record just fucking goes from Rock You through Break it Off.

And The Seed definitely cannot be taken lyrically at face value. It’s a metaphor for how the narrator wants to leave his mark (knocking up, seed, baby) on music as a whole. More broadly, I think it’s about how hip hop was including more diverse elements and changing music in general.

Anyone know mastering details for Phrenology? I have a pretty clean OG and it sounds great (cut at Sterling) but some songs are a little sibilant. Hope they fix that. I also have to wait to pick this one up second hand. Is it a gatefold? Sorry some of this info might not be available yet... also, the first record just fucking goes from Rock You through Break it Off.

And The Seed definitely cannot be taken lyrically at face value. It’s a metaphor for how the narrator wants to leave his mark (knocking up, seed, baby) on music as a whole. More broadly, I think it’s about how hip hop was including more diverse elements and changing music in general.
The write-up says new lacquers by Ryan Smith at Sterling. Doesn't say where pressed.

Yeah, sorry my literal interpretation was more in regard to the perception of the song by that of a child. Since he was asking if the content was appropriate for children.

I think lots of RJ Sterling hip-hop cuts sound pretty good, are you sure the sibilance isn't in the recording (it's not the most hifi album) or just a tracking issue on your end?

I think lots of RJ Sterling hip-hop cuts sound pretty good, are you sure the sibilance isn't in the recording (it's not the most hifi album) or just a tracking issue on your end?
It’s almost certainly in the recording. I haven’t listened to it digitally in awhile and had the CD growing up but I can’t remember how it sounds. I don’t have an issue with sibilance overall on my modest system though.

It’s almost certainly in the recording. I haven’t listened to it digitally in awhile and had the CD growing up but I can’t remember how it sounds. I don’t have an issue with sibilance overall on my modest system though.

Surprisingly I find hip hop to be one of the most demanding genres to track properly due to the amount of hot vocals. Still it should be tame on an average system. I’d hope the new cut addresses that too.

Back