Vinyl Me Please Essentials

There are readily available mixdowns of the four discs available through questionable internet sources.
I took my 4xCD set and uploaded them into recording software (Audacity is free for anyone interested, I used Cubase) and made my own mixdowns. When Wayne released discs 5-10 I added those in too.
It's an unfortunately overlooked and underappreciated album for the songwriting.
I remember one of my friends getting the set via Colombia Hours 12 CD's for like a penny back in High School and actually getting together a bunch of boom boxes and portable stereos along with my home stereo and attempting to play it all in sync (per the instructions) while it was a fun to play around with for an afternoon it wasn't something we ever attempted again. If I recall my buddy said some of them were nice enough background music in their own right. I am amazed they were able to convince anyone to give them the $$ to release such an sonic experiment (I think they were on Warner Bros. at the time).

I remember one of my friends getting the set via Colombia Hours 12 CD's for like a penny back in High School and actually getting together a bunch of boom boxes and portable stereos along with my home stereo and attempting to play it all in sync (per the instructions) while it was a fun to play around with for an afternoon it wasn't something we ever attempted again. If I recall my buddy said some of them were nice enough background music in their own right. I am amazed they were able to convince anyone to give them the $$ to release such an sonic experiment (I think they were on Warner Bros. at the time).

It was a weird time at Warner’s. They’d sacked the board and hadn’t appointed a new one. They saw this weird oddball band that were too much hassle to deal with so gave them $200,000 to go away, get out of the record companies hair and deliver two albums for them to release. It led to Zaireeka and The Soft Bulletin! Both released with minimal record company input or interference!

It was a weird time at Warner’s. They’d sacked the board and hadn’t appointed a new one. They saw this weird oddball band that were too much hassle to deal with so gave them $200,000 to go away, get out of the record companies hair and deliver two albums for them to release. It led to Zaireeka and The Soft Bulletin! Both released with minimal record company input or interference!

I remember having a blast the one time my friends and I played Zaireeka on 4 CD players. I don't think we were sober.

I just tried listening to The Soft Bulletin for the first time in years. Two songs in and (barring an unexpectedly exciting swaption) I realized I'll finally get to cancel my VMP membership. I know it's a great album and think it's a good Essentials pick, but personally I just detest it.

I remember having a blast the one time my friends and I played Zaireeka on 4 CD players. I don't think we were sober.

I just tried listening to The Soft Bulletin for the first time in years. Two songs in and (barring an unexpectedly exciting swaption) I realized I'll finally get to cancel my VMP membership. I know it's a great album and think it's a good Essentials pick, but personally I just detest it.
This is the boat I'm in as well. I just can't get into TFL and I've tried. I wouldn't pass up a chance to see them live but I don't need this on my shelf.

This is the boat I'm in as well. I just can't get into TFL and I've tried. I wouldn't pass up a chance to see them live but I don't need this on my shelf.

they were my "band to see live" band for a really long time.
Once i saw them, I lost interest completely.
May get this ROTM just for nostalgia

they were my "band to see live" band for a really long time.
Once i saw them, I lost interest completely.
May get this ROTM just for nostalgia

Same - they were a huge letdown after tame impala as the opener. It didn’t help that Wayne Coyne kept telling the audience to clap more and get into the show - if you are telling your audience to do these things, it feels like you’ve given up on the possibility that they would actually clap, dance, or sing along on their own. It felt less like a show and more like a support group. There were a lot of lights and props to make the show visually stimulating but the music was pretty boring and it was really awkward and uncomfortable to see him struggling so hard to engage the audience and get so frustrated that it didn’t really work.

I’m really excited that The Soft Bulletin is probably the choice! I remember listening to this album for the first time maybe around a year ago and it just completely blew me away and its quickly become one of my all time fav records.

I made a post on the exclusive wishlist thread of the old VMP forum about requesting this album as an exclusive or ROTM since this year is its 20th anniversary, I think I made the suggestion of like a blue/yellow swirl vinyl.

I remember storf liking my post about it and then the official VMP account teasing about the album on twitter, so I was always hoping that they were gonna do something with album eventually, and I’m really excited to see what they’re gonna do with it if this is the ROTM!

So unless he's just trying to keep the guessing going, the only other guesses we have require some twisting to call it the 9th albums, right?
Yes the plot thickens. I was thinking maybe there is a female rockers 1st album in 94 like Tori Amos or something , and a rap group with 9 albums by 99? (no idea) I'm drawing a blank though and it's probably just Storf messing with us.

Yes the plot thickens. I was thinking maybe there is a female rockers 1st album in 94 like Tori Amos or something , and a rap group with 9 albums by 99? (no idea) I'm drawing a blank though and it's probably just Storf messing with us.

Tori's first album (Little Earthquakes) was released in '92, although many fans count Y Kant Tori Read (released in '88) as her first album, especially since she has started playing some of those songs live again in recent years.
I really tried to stretch it to make Public Enemy fit with 1999, but even by including a compilation and the He Got Game soundtrack I only was able to get There's A Poison Going On as their 8th.

Tori's first album (Little Earthquakes) was released in '92, although many fans count Y Kant Tori Read (released in '88) as her first album, especially since she has started playing some of those songs live again in recent years.
I really tried to stretch it to make Public Enemy fit with 1999, but even by including a compilation and the He Got Game soundtrack I only was able to get There's A Poison Going On as their 8th.
Dido's first album was in 99 that would just leave a rap group with 9 albums by 1994 lol.

...that would just leave a rap group with 9 albums by 1994 lol.

I've got nothing.
Best I can do is perhaps performers who were already recorded or represented on 8 other released by '94, which is possible if you look at something like the Native Tongues collective, but probably not the straightforward approach we have come to expect from VMP.

If that’s an alt rock album then I just don’t know. Also that’d be a new low, even by Phoenix standards.
I really really doubt it's actually that. His hat comment just has me scrambling for ideas lol. I really should be working though.

I really really doubt it's actually that. His hat comment just has me scrambling for ideas lol. I really should be working though.
Just because he offered to pick the hat doesn't necessarily mean that the redditor would have to eat it. He could just be effing with everyone. In the past when the community figured it out too soon, he has done just that. Obviously at this point we will haveta wait until the next clue but unlike the other guesses people were certain about he didn't outright dismiss Flaming Lips. We shall see.

Back