Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Best since 3 ft high and rising probably. I can't wait to see what kind of psychedelic colored viny and art print they'll give it if it is indeed The Soft Bulletin. And if the 2 exclusives attached are Yoshimi and Mystics....that would be a killer special edition trilogy to get from VMP
I’d be in for Yoshimi. Don’t care too much for Mystics tbh.

As a Lips fan who has put off grabbing The Soft Bulletin on vinyl, this pick would make me real happy.

Also, the thought of having a vinyl variant with some kind of blue-and-yellow combo is real appealing.

I would also venture to guess (like many others) that Clouds Taste Metallic would be one of the related exclusives. Zaireeka would seem a bit silly. I have a red pressing of Yoshimi already, but would understand if they went with that. Priest Driven Ambulance did have a repressing last year. I could also easily see Transmission From A Satellite Heart being one along with Clouds Taste Metallic.

As a Lips fan who has put off grabbing The Soft Bulletin on vinyl, this pick would make me real happy.

Also, the thought of having a vinyl variant with some kind of blue-and-yellow combo is real appealing.

I would also venture to guess (like many others) that Clouds Taste Metallic would be one of the related exclusives. Zaireeka would seem a bit silly. I have a red pressing of Yoshimi already, but would understand if they went with that. Priest Driven Ambulance did have a repressing last year. I could also easily see Transmission From A Satellite Heart being one along with Clouds Taste Metallic.
Zaireeka would be cool if they could put all 4 back into the mix and release that as a special edition - but I highly, highly doubt that's what is being done.

For two exclusives, I think it will be Yoshimi and Mystics, but the earlier stuff would be welcome.

Zaireeka would be cool if they could put all 4 back into the mix and release that as a special edition - but I highly, highly doubt that's what is being done.

For two exclusives, I think it will be Yoshimi and Mystics, but the earlier stuff would be welcome.

I think that Wayne Coyne had an agreement with Warner’s that they would never downmix it to stereo. There were talks of a 5.1 dvd-a of it but I don’t think that ever came to fruition.

I think the Sleater-Kinney ROTM pick was a poor pick. This Sleater-Kinney record is one of their weakest efforts yet. It wasn’t a unique album/listening experience like Mitski’s Be The Cowboy, St Vincent’s Masseduction or Moses Sumney’s Aromanticism was! Those were great new-release Essential ROTM picks!

You have to be very careful with picking a new album to be an Essentials ROTM. It can work, but it needs to be a “WOW” record that is unique, immaculate, contains little or no filler and really stands out. Weyes Blood’s Titanic Rising would have been an excellent pick, as would Tyler The Creator’s IGOR (for a 2019 Essentials ROTM) Both albums are very unique, relatable, have a great story behind them and have amazing instrumentation. They are both albums where the more you listen to them, the more you unfold and uncover! Sleater-Kinney’s The Center Won’t Hold doesn’t have those qualities and there are filler tracks in there.

I hope VMP continue to only do one new-release ROTM per year. If they do none, even better! But I know that won’t be the case. So only one new release Essentials ROTM is the way I hope it stays!

I personally love the new sk album, it's even in my top 10 for the year but you are absolutely right that it should not have been ROTM. I love when they do new releases for essentials but that was not the one they should have picked. Especially since so many great and interesting releases are exclusives. They should have bumbed one of them up and mad sk an exclusive

Okay so year and 9th album. I mean I think it's right up VMPs alley especially if its some sort of remaster. Is there a list on here somewhere of other 9th albums released that year? Or were there like... none..

Because it’s either 1994 or 1999 i think we have it and a Sonic Youth album (with some creative accounting). There could be more, I leave the leg work to other people...

Because it’s either 1994 or 1999 i think we have it and a Sonic Youth album (with some creative accounting). There could be more, I leave the leg work to other people...

Someone also noted that if it's 94, it could be Let Love In from Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (if you count their live album in their discography).

Okay so year and 9th album. I mean I think it's right up VMPs alley especially if its some sort of remaster. Is there a list on here somewhere of other 9th albums released that year? Or were there like... none..
There were a few others mentioned (Meat Puppets, Sonic Youth, R.E.M.) but they have either been shot down by Storf or just are not as good of a fit as The Sof Bulletin.

I'd be pretty good with TFL, they're a band that I know has a huge following, that I know the name of about half of their albums, that I've been meaning to do a deep dive into for ages, and yet every time I try I come up for air after about 3 songs and go "Nah...". But I feel like they will click with me at some point and from what I can tell TSB or Yoshimi are pretty much the best starter albums for them so this seems like as good a time as any.

But if it's Let Love In... I will totes flip my wig yo. Also if it's Let Love In someone needs to sell me their damn VMP Boatmans Call
PLEASE AND THANK YOU

I'd be pretty good with TFL, they're a band that I know has a huge following, that I know the name of about half of their albums, that I've been meaning to do a deep dive into for ages, and yet every time I try I come up for air after about 3 songs and go "Nah...". But I feel like they will click with me at some point and from what I can tell TSB or Yoshimi are pretty much the best starter albums for them so this seems like as good a time as any.

But if it's Let Love In... I will totes flip my wig yo. Also if it's Let Love In someone needs to sell me their damn VMP Boatmans Call
PLEASE AND THANK YOU
The run of albums they did from Clouds Taste Metallic to War With the Mystic are their most accessible (and IMO best) With The Soft Bulletin being their apex. Their other albums both earlier and later had their moments but that run balanced their weirdo psychedelic tendencies with a nice pop sensibility. Also, for those interested in but unfamiliar with The Soft Bulletin it pairs nicely with Mercury Rev's Deserter's Songs. They were recorded at the same time using the same new fangled (at the time) Pro Tools techniques at Dave Fridmann's upstate New York studio Mercury Rev and The Flaming Lips were kinda building off what each other were doing and as a result the albums compliment each other really well.

I think that Wayne Coyne had an agreement with Warner’s that they would never downmix it to stereo. There were talks of a 5.1 dvd-a of it but I don’t think that ever came to fruition.

There are readily available mixdowns of the four discs available through questionable internet sources.
I took my 4xCD set and uploaded them into recording software (Audacity is free for anyone interested, I used Cubase) and made my own mixdowns. When Wayne released discs 5-10 I added those in too.
It's an unfortunately overlooked and underappreciated album for the songwriting.

There are readily available mixdowns of the four discs available through questionable internet sources.
I took my 4xCD set and uploaded them into recording software (Audacity is free for anyone interested, I used Cubase) and made my own mixdowns. When Wayne released discs 5-10 I added those in too.
It's an unfortunately overlooked and underappreciated album for the songwriting.

Oh yeah I know people have created them it’s more the chances of a proper full release of a stereo mix is less than zero!

Thoughts on what the LP would look like? I have fingers crossed for clear with blue and yellow splatter.
Splatter would be awesome!
I'm hoping black&yellow, like

Goat-Let-It-Burn-768x506.jpg

Back