Vinyl Me Please Essentials

View attachment 17287

Records sold seems to fit pretty well.
So, based on the edited clue. 156 weeks = 3 years and based off the wiki it took until 2002 to hit 100k and The Soft Bulletin was released in 1999. Da Brat was a 1M seller in 1 year so I think we can call this one...

Essentials = The Soft Bulletin

R&HH = Funkdafied

So, based on the edited clue. 156 weeks = 3 years and based off the wiki it took until 2002 to hit 100k and The Soft Bulletin was released in 1999. Da Brat was a 1M seller in 1 year so I think we can call this one...

Essentials = The Soft Bulletin

R&HH = Funkdafied
Case solved

download.jpg

The Flaming Lips are one of those bands that I just don't understand but are otherwise widely critically acclaimed. Just never got into them. This will probably be a swap, but of course I'll give it a go anyway to be sure.
Right on. It’s a psychedlic pop masterpiece but a lotta people find Wayne’s voice grating. It’s worth an honest listen.

Right on. It’s a psychedlic pop masterpiece but a lotta people find Wayne’s voice grating. It’s worth an honest listen.

There was a time in the late 90s and early 2000s where a few of my favorite bands were lushly-recorded psychedelic-tinged indie rock with singers with high-pitched "bad" singing voices: Flaming Lips, Sparklehorse, Mercury Rev, etc...

The Flaming Lips are one of those bands that I just don't understand but are otherwise widely critically acclaimed. Just never got into them. This will probably be a swap, but of course I'll give it a go anyway to be sure.

Of course, YMMV, but I’ve found that people not into the F’Lips may like The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi.

There was a time in the late 90s and early 2000s where a few of my favorite bands were lushly-recorded psychedelic-tinged indie rock with singers with high-pitched "bad" singing voices: Flaming Lips, Sparklehorse, Mercury Rev, etc...
Dave Fridmann certainly had a type didn't he? I also think the proliferation of Pro Tools played a lot in the ability of relatively small indie groups to be able to create such big sounds on a relatively tight budget.

Dave Fridmann certainly had a type didn't he? I also thing the proliferation of Pro Tools played a lot in the ability of relatively small indie groups to be able to create such big sounds on a relatively tight budget.

Plus being at the tail-end of the CD boom, with major record labels signing bands that didn't make a lot of sense on paper and then forgetting about them and letting them do whatever they wanted. I've always been surprised that the Flaming Lips and Built to Spill have been on Warner Bros. records for so long.

Plus being at the tail-end of the CD boom, with major record labels signing bands that didn't make a lot of sense on paper and then forgetting about them and letting them do whatever they wanted. I've always been surprised that the Flaming Lips and Built to Spill have been on Warner Bros. records for so long.

I mean, one of those bands played at the Peach Pit.

I didn't get them for a long time. But I revisited them after seeing them live, which gave me a new perspective on the band. Knowing more about them, and their image and how much they try to push for weird, fun and irregular made me look at everything through a new lens. I think understanding what they were going for was all I needed. That and possibly a little age as well. But the experience of seeing them just ties back into the music so heavily that it shifts the way I receive their music now.

But it's certainly not for everyone.

Back