Roland Kirk: I talk With The Spirits
Randy Weston: African Cookbook
Johnny Hartman: I Just Dropped By To Say Hello
Johnny Hartman: The Voice That Is!
Roy Haynes: People
The Albert Mangelsdorff Quintet In Asia - Now Jazz Ramwong
Booker Ervin: The Space Book
Booker Ervin: The Song Book
Ronnie Mathews With Freddie Hubbard: Doin' The Thang!
Ahmed Abdul-Malik: Spellbound
Paul Gonsalves Quartet - Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick
Bob Brookmeyer and Friends

Herbie Hancock

Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus
Getz/Gilberto
Idle Moments
Coltrane’s Sound
It’s Monk’s Time

Great Concert of Charles Mingus
Mingus at Monterey
Bill Evans - Trio 64

View attachment 19171

1964 releases
View attachment 19172

A left field pick for me would be Beat by Roy Brooks. Brooks was playing drums for Horace Silver at the time and this album has his bandmates Blue Mitchell on trumpet and Junior Cook on tenor sax.

Originally issued on Workshop Jazz label, a Motown subsidiary.
Never heard the album but that’s a great lineup! Has to be a solid album at the very least. The album cover is pretty great too. I like this pick!

Brubeck would be a nice pick - Jazz Impressions of Japan was in '64.

I would absolutely love this one, specially with the Classics recent quality for pressing / mastering. I've been trying to find a decent copy for a while since I found Jazz Impressions of New York in a used bin in Amsterdam.

Super excited for this one. I haven't been keeping up to date with the various guess threads so apologies if these have already been mentioned.

Albert Ayler released 'Something Different!!!!!!' on Bird Notes (an obscure Swedish label) plus 'My Name Is Albert Ayler' on Fontana. I would argue either of these would be VMP's most adventurous pick to date (his playing style is very much like marmite, you either love it or hate it). Ayler led a very unusual life and there's still to this day a shroud of mystery around his death, so plenty of material for the listening notes.

'Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus' is clearly a Classic, and would no doubt be a huge release for VMP.

I know we have already have the Coltrane/Davis final tour/paris sessions, but John Coltranes 'Crescent' would be a superb pick. He also had a number of other albums released in '64 including 'Black Pearls', 'Coltrane's Sound', 'Coltrane Live At Birdland' and 'The Believer'.

Cal Tjader's - Soul Sauce
would fit in with the vibe of several of the past classics, but it was actually released in '65. Was the clue released or recorded in '64?

I've always enjoyed 'Ben Webster - See You at the Fair' and it tends to get very favourable reviews. It has quite the line up of sidemen as well.

Super excited for this one. I haven't been keeping up to date with the various guess threads so apologies if these have already been mentioned.

Albert Ayler released 'Something Different!!!!!!' on Bird Notes (an obscure Swedish label) plus 'My Name Is Albert Ayler' on Fontana. I would argue either of these would be VMP's most adventurous pick to date (his playing style is very much like marmite, you either love it or hate it). Ayler led a very unusual life and there's still to this day a shroud of mystery around his death, so plenty of material for the listening notes.

'Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus' is clearly a Classic, and would no doubt be a huge release for VMP.

I know we have already have the Coltrane/Davis final tour/paris sessions, but John Coltranes 'Crescent' would be a superb pick. He also had a number of other albums released in '64 including 'Black Pearls', 'Coltrane's Sound', 'Coltrane Live At Birdland' and 'The Believer'.

Cal Tjader's - Soul Sauce
would fit in with the vibe of several of the past classics, but it was actually released in '65. Was the clue released or recorded in '64?

I've always enjoyed 'Ben Webster - See You at the Fair' and it tends to get very favourable reviews. It has quite the line up of sidemen as well.
Storf said it isn't Coltrane Sound or Mingus .

I would love Live at Birdland. Elvin Jones is on fire on that album.

Hell yes, i've been waiting for some more blues from them after they put out the killer Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters albums last winter.

(also note, since December is confirmed a confirmed AAA pressing, it probably won't be Chess since I'm pretty sure all the Chess masters are toast, unless there are copies somewhere)

Didn't most of Coltrane's master tapes burn up though? Wouldn't that rule him out of most albums for AAA?

I'm pretty sure you're right, but one of the reasons "AAA" is a useless extension of the SPARS code for vinyl is that they could just cut from a safety or dubbed copy, or even remix the album back down to two-track from the original session tapes if those are around and call it "AAA" without telling the whole story. Not sure if they have any of those in another location, but all those techniques have been employed by pretty much every audiophile label besides MoFi (outside of their silver label) and honestly have resulted in some pretty great sounding records. Still I'd assume for 'Trane all the analog stuff is toast and digital masters are all that exist.

I'm pretty sure you're right, but one of the reasons "AAA" is a useless extension of the SPARS code for vinyl is that they could just cut from a safety or dubbed copy, or even remix the album back down to two-track from the original session tapes if those are around and call it "AAA" without telling the whole story. Not sure if they have any of those in another location, but all those techniques have been employed by pretty much every audiophile label besides MoFi (outside of their silver label) and honestly have resulted in some pretty great sounding records. Still I'd assume for 'Trane all the analog stuff is toast and digital masters are all that exist.
Yeah and like you said there’s probably safety copies of these around the world used for reissues over the various decades for different markets. So if there is an AAA release, at least Impulse stuff, I’m pretty sure it will be from a safety copy. Honestly don’t think we are going to see a Coltrane Classics any time soon (if ever) since we already had his session with Miles Davis released on the track.

Coltrane was on different labels throughout his career though, so the ones owned by UME (Impulse) probably burned, but the Atlantic and Blue Note ones I don't believe should've been there.

And yeah, the original masters may have burned but if there are copies, you can still make an AAA pressing.

Hot damn I love me some Brubeck.

HOWEVER, Storf posted that message looking for writers for Brubeck on Oct 2nd... No chance they'd be looking for writers for the booklet less than one month before the album is announced. That stuff would have to be done months in advance...

Last edited:
Hot damn I love me some Brubeck.

HOWEVER, Storf posted that message looking for writers for Brubeck on Oct 2nd... No chance they'd be looking for writers for the booklet less than one month before the album is announced. That stuff would have to be done months in advance...
Maybe it isn’t for the booklet, perhaps just article copy. Who knows, I sure don’t, but I can hope

Back