Vinyl Me Please Classics

What are examples of "soul jazz", I'm not sure I'm familiar with the sub-genre.
I think the most stereotypical example would be the song The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan. That spawned off a lot of imitation in the mid 60’s fusing soul/R&B/jazz. Stanley T, Grant Green, Jimmy Smith, Horace Silver made music in the Soul Jazz genre, just to name a few.

That Monk Higgins album art is b-e-a-uttttiful. Thanks for sharing, I wonder if we'll be getting something off of this list then. I just picked up an older reissue of Freddie Hubbard's - Backlash, kind of a forgettable album imo spare "Little Sunflower"

That Monk Higgins album art is b-e-a-uttttiful. Thanks for sharing, I wonder if we'll be getting something off of this list then. I just picked up an older reissue of Freddie Hubbard's - Backlash, kind of a forgettable album imo spare "Little Sunflower"
Oh man! I love Backlash! I have an original mono pressing. But yes Little Sunflower is the best and most enduring tune of the lot.

I think the most stereotypical example would be the song The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan. That spawned off a lot of imitation in the mid 60’s fusing soul/R&B/jazz. Stanley T, Grant Green, Jimmy Smith, Horace Silver made music in the Soul Jazz genre, just to name a few.
Wow, surprises me that The Sidewinder falls into the soul jazz category. That to me has been the poster child of just "hard-bop" but to be fair, I know nothing of jazz's subgenres and classify anything that makes me sport an enhanced "Stank Face" as hard-bop lol.

Lou Donaldson, Jimmy Smith, later Grant Green, Baby Face Willette are some great Blue Note Soul jazz. I would say those Jazz Dispensary titles they put out last December were mostly Soul Jazz, though that is more jazz funk fusion.

I'm hoping for a great Jimmy Smith reissue or maybe Stop and Listen from Baby Face (although that was reissued by Classic Records a while back and can probably still be had for a reasonable sum)

The S/T track on the Sidewinder touches upon soul-jazz/boogaloo as its basis but I personally would say that the album as a whole is more hard-bop.

I would more typically associate soul-jazz musicians such as Stanley Turrentine, Jimmy Smith, Lou Donaldson, Big John Patton, Jimmy McGriff, Shirley Scott, Grant Green, Jack McDuff, Larry Young, Lonnie Smith.

In fact, if you consider any jazz organist then I would hazard a guess that they have played soul-jazz at some point in their career, it seemed to be the staple instrument for most sessions.

Last edited:
Lou Donaldson, Jimmy Smith, later Grant Green, Baby Face Willette are some great Blue Note Soul jazz. I would say those Jazz Dispensary titles they put out last December were mostly Soul Jazz, though that is more jazz funk fusion.

I'm hoping for a great Jimmy Smith reissue or maybe Stop and Listen from Baby Face (although that was reissued by Classic Records a while back and can probably still be had for a reasonable sum)
Irrespective of quality these are two of my favorite Jimmy Smith records based strictly on album covers.
3C8CECE0-B81C-435F-899E-D786DB7130DA.jpeg
1E19F450-F9BF-430D-A7C4-5D20406C1FF7.jpeg
Stay Loose is interesting because he sings too. Jimmy’s not much of a vocalist but I kinda enjoy his guttural attempts at singing.

Freddie Hubbard's - Backlash, kind of a forgettable album imo spare "Little Sunflower"
Yeah - you are nuts. On the Que-Tee is one of the great all time burners that does *NOT* get enough love. There should be more covers of that tune by every Hard and Post Bop band out there. James Frikkin' Spaulding on that record just kills it from cover to cover.

Yeah - you are nuts. On the Que-Tee is one of the great all time burners that does *NOT* get enough love. There should be more covers of that tune by every Hard and Post Bop band out there. James Frikkin' Spaulding on that record just kills it from cover to cover.
*Angrily pulls Backlash out of Kallax and slams onto turntable for a hefty "What am I missing listening session"*

I have a feeling Blue Note isn't giving any more titles to VMP. It's been a long time since Freedom Rider and that's about to be done as a Tone Poet next year. But if they did, my ass is signing back up.
Feel like Blue Note used some language recently that alluded to outside parties still getting exclusive access to certain Blue Note titles. I imagine VMP x Blue Notes relationship has been a successful one, so I'm hoping we'll still see the odd BN here and there

I have a feeling Blue Note isn't giving any more titles to VMP. It's been a long time since Freedom Rider and that's about to be done as a Tone Poet next year. But if they did, my ass is signing back up.
Agreed - they finally figured out how to do it properly once MMJ wound up so I see them holding onto their options. I do wish they would do Schizophrenia, though, since I passed on the Anthology given the QC issues and this would be a great Tone Poet.

Last edited:
Love the passion here. Just go right to On The Que-Tee, already.
Had to make a stop at Little Sunflower, on The Que-Tee rn and I must admit, its a great fiery track. I think Side B is much stronger than Side A. Everything minus Little Sunflower on Side A sounds like it was trying to be the next Sidewinder but flopped lol.

The S/T track on the Sidewinder touches upon soul-jazz/boogaloo as its basis but I personally would say that the album as a whole is more hard-bop.

I would more typically associate soul-jazz musicians such as Stanley Turrentine, Jimmy Smith, Lou Donaldson, Big John Patton, Jimmy McGriff, Shirley Scott, Grant Green, Jack McDuff, Larry Young, Lonnie Smith.

In fact, if you consider any jazz organist then I would hazard a guess that they have played soul-jazz at some point in their career, it seemed to be the staple instrument for most sessions.
Thank you for mentioning Big John Patton! He is my favorite and none of the Tone Poets yet have featured him. I don't know what the hell is going on, but I need them to start pressing some of his records. We're on like the 5th Grant Green TP and still nothing for Big John Patton. According to Wikipedia, he's the bandleader on 11 Blue Note albums and sideman on another 8.

Thank you for mentioning Big John Patton! He is my favorite and none of the Tone Poets yet have featured him. I don't know what the hell is going on, but I need them to start pressing some of his records. We're on like the 5th Grant Green TP and still nothing for Big John Patton. According to Wikipedia, he's the bandleader on 11 Blue Note albums and sideman on another 8.
I'm completely unfamiliar. Where should I start??

Agreed - they finally figured out how to do it properly once MMJ wound up so I see them holding onto their options. I do wish they would do Schizophrenia, though, since I passed on the Anthology given the QC issues and this would be a great Tone Poet.
I was after a copy of Schizophrenia for YEARS, I lost out on so may auction listing and store purchases. Finally picked it up last year so it would be just my luck that it would be chosen :ROFLMAO:
I'm completely unfamiliar. Where should I start??
'Oh Baby!' is fantastic and there is a decent reissue by Elemental which I picked up a while ago.

'Let Em Roll', 'Along Came John' and 'The Way I Feel' are all killer as well and I believe they all include Grant Green on guitar which is a nice bonus.

Back