Junior Wells
Lightnin' Hopkins
Magic Sam
Taj Mahal
Howlin' Wolf
Willie Dixon
Jimmy Witherspoon
Hound Dog Taylor

Some big name blues guys they could still do. I think they could really mine into the Original Blues Classics catalog that Craft Recordings owns just like they have been doing with the Original Jazz Classics catalog and reissue some of those. Those are great sounding recordings and are realistic to license since they partner with Craft all the time.

I would say the top of my list is Taj Mahal, Magic Sam, and Freddie King.

Freddie King
Junior Wells
Lightnin' Hopkins
Magic Sam
Taj Mahal
Howlin' Wolf
Willie Dixon
Jimmy Witherspoon
Hound Dog Taylor

Some big name blues guys they could still do. I think they could really mine into the Original Blues Classics catalog that Craft Recordings owns just like they have been doing with the Original Jazz Classics catalog and reissue some of those. Those are great sounding recordings and are realistic to license since they partner with Craft all the time.

I would say the top of my list is Taj Mahal, Magic Sam, and Freddie King.

Ha! Can’t believe I missed Taj. I’ve seen him a few times too. They did an Exclusive of Taj Mahal’s S/T record, but a Classic treatment of Natch’l Blues (or really any Taj) would be excellent.

And yeah, the OJC titles that Craft has would be great.

There really isn't any bad soul jazz.
I don't know about bad but there certainly is a lot of mundane/rote soul jazz that is nice and everything but doesn't make much of an impression. Sort of like the endless piano trio records. Fine music but utterly forgettable. We all have our own tastes - I find the Szabo record boring and dated but everyone here at least seems to dig it, to cite one example.

I'll remain optimistic but this sub has not been knocking it out of the park lately. I just have to think that it's way more difficult to find "lost sounds" to release anymore with the majors taking on a more active role ("guess what - vinyl is BAAAACCK")

I don't know about bad but there certainly is a lot of mundane/rote soul jazz that is nice and everything but doesn't make much of an impression. Sort of like the endless piano trio records. Fine music but utterly forgettable. We all have our own tastes - I find the Szabo record boring and dated but everyone here at least seems to dig it, to cite one example.

I'll remain optimistic but this sub has not been knocking it out of the park lately. I just have to think that it's way more difficult to find "lost sounds" to release anymore with the majors taking on a more active role ("guess what - vinyl is BAAAACCK")
What are examples of "soul jazz", I'm not sure I'm familiar with the sub-genre.

Soul Jazz is probs a stretch but Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul needs a reissue desperately
Hoping for a Tone Poet of this. All of Ike's are worthwhile endeavors. I do love the Mosaic he shared with John Hardee but that will never, ever be reissued by anyone. Sadly, Swing music from the BeBop Era is dead and buried.

What are examples of "soul jazz", I'm not sure I'm familiar with the sub-genre.

Hoping for a Tone Poet of this. All of Ike's are worthwhile endeavors. I do love the Mosaic he shared with John Hardee but that will never, ever be reissued by anyone. Sadly, Swing music from the BeBop Era is dead and buried.
I think I read it was rumored for a 2022 TP treatment but who knows, all just speculation I believe. I think VMP could do it justice if it were the soul jazz pick. VMP does have a Blue Note relationship and we haven't gotten a Blue Note from them since what, Freedom Rider?

Back