Vinyl Me Please Classics

I’m doing a “play random jazz records from my collection” at work tonight and as I’m listening to Norman Connors’ “Love from the Sun” I realized this might make for a nice candidate for the “soul-jazz” Classics month.

It’s not particularly hard to find or expensive to buy used, but that has absolutely never stopped Classics before.

I’m doing a “play random jazz records from my collection” at work tonight and as I’m listening to Norman Connors’ “Love from the Sun” I realized this might make for a nice candidate for the “soul-jazz” Classics month.

It’s not particularly hard to find or expensive to buy used, but that has absolutely never stopped Classics before.
I was also thinking Idris Muhammad’s ‘Turn This Mutha Out’ for soul jazz as it’s a jazzy album, but is also soul too! Imagine spinning that record and Could Heaven Ever Be Like This in high quality starts playing! I would feel as if I’m in a pillowy, luxurious cloud! 🙉😍

I'm completely unfamiliar. Where should I start??
Everything @Selaws said.

For me, it was the first song on Lou Donaldson's "Natural Soul" which was featured in the Blue Note Anthology that VMP did. I didn't buy the anthology, but I listened to all the records and that song "Funky Mama" sold me on Big John Patton. (And Grant Green.) That song has such a simple little riff, but he just creates a whole mood with it that makes the whole song feel like the best time ever.

I'm not an organ player, so what follows might just be bs that I've made up and tell myself, but here goes: Sometimes when people play the organ there are these little [probably unintentional] side effect sounds that happen because maybe they're used to playing the piano and they're basically trying to play the piano on the organ just to get a different sound. It's not really a big deal but I feel like I notice a clear difference listening to Big John Patton. He is in his element on the organ - he makes it breathe and sing. It just feels like, beyond understanding jazz and being able to improvise and jam, he is in tune with the mechanics and physics of how organs specifically make sound and takes fuller advantage than other organ players of the quirks of the sounds that they make in really musical ways. There's like vibrato that pulses through that simple little riff that makes it feel so alive.

Lol. I just got a shipping notice for a Hawk Flies High jacket. Anyone else?
yeah, me too. I didn't make it happen so ....

Order summary​

A71I5782_10f8930e-c960-4dca-bbbe-4424891c7197_compact_cropped.jpg
The Hawk Flies High JACKET ONLY × 1
Default Title
Free​
Discount
discounttag-d1f7c6d9334582b151797626a5ae244c56af0791fcd7841f21027dd44830bcc6.png
CS - COLEMAN JACKET REPLACEMENT
-$0.00
Subtotal
$0.00
Shipping
$0.00
Total
$0.00 USD

Everything @Selaws said.

For me, it was the first song on Lou Donaldson's "Natural Soul" which was featured in the Blue Note Anthology that VMP did. I didn't buy the anthology, but I listened to all the records and that song "Funky Mama" sold me on Big John Patton. (And Grant Green.) That song has such a simple little riff, but he just creates a whole mood with it that makes the whole song feel like the best time ever.

I'm not an organ player, so what follows might just be bs that I've made up and tell myself, but here goes: Sometimes when people play the organ there are these little [probably unintentional] side effect sounds that happen because maybe they're used to playing the piano and they're basically trying to play the piano on the organ just to get a different sound. It's not really a big deal but I feel like I notice a clear difference listening to Big John Patton. He is in his element on the organ - he makes it breathe and sing. It just feels like, beyond understanding jazz and being able to improvise and jam, he is in tune with the mechanics and physics of how organs specifically make sound and takes fuller advantage than other organ players of the quirks of the sounds that they make in really musical ways. There's like vibrato that pulses through that simple little riff that makes it feel so alive.
Funnily enough, whenever I post 'Natural Soul' on my instagram/instagram story it gets the most amount of comments and likes. People seem to really dig that album, and rightly so!

Lol. I just got a shipping notice for a Hawk Flies High jacket. Anyone else?
No shipping notice, but an "Thank you for your purchase" email. I have not received any shipping notice for this month, either (I only am supposed to get Cash).

No shipping notice, but an "Thank you for your purchase" email. I have not received any shipping notice for this month, either (I only am supposed to get Cash).

You are correct, it's just the order generation. (And, I'm still waiting on Cash as well.)

This does remind, why doesn't VMP separate some their replacement stock into jackets and vinyl? I got a replacement Billie Holiday on the way since it was noisy, but I only wanted the disc. Meanwhile, someone who got a seam split, but a pristine pressing, would likely rather have a replacement jacket than the $15 store credits they offer.

You are correct, it's just the order generation. (And, I'm still waiting on Cash as well.)

This does remind, why doesn't VMP separate some their replacement stock into jackets and vinyl? I got a replacement Billie Holiday on the way since it was noisy, but I only wanted the disc. Meanwhile, someone who got a seam split, but a pristine pressing, would likely rather have a replacement jacket than the $15 store credits they offer.

I've gotten replacement jackets a few times from them and they just sent me a jacket without the record.

It looks like Musical Massage is sold out now. I’m actually surprised if that’s the case.

Back