Vinyl Me Please Classics

I'm also up for renewal in April and took a 6mo bridge deal. I think the turning point for me was the PUTS release. I was pretty stoked for it, then found out there was an equally high quality pressing, but in black and without the stencil for much cheaper than it costs for me in Canada. If there's some hard to find exclusives then maybe I sign up month to month, but it's getting harder to justify the cost when some of the albums are being widely released for cheaper. That an the last three months have been meh.
I haven't been active on here since I dropped my VMP sub.
Here are my thoughts since I dropped my VMP sub as a fellow Canuck: Totally worth it
I haven't thought about VMP for ages and all the drama around it and I'm not gonna to sugar coat it, I've been much happier.
The Tone Poet and Acoustic Sound series are getting better and better and I've found that nearly all the Classics I've wanted since are available much cheaper than if I had stayed with VMP.
This is not meant to be anti-VMP, just saying that I agree there are other options that are just as good if not better
PS Hi everyone! I've missed you

I have been thinking about which jazz vocalists I would be excited to see in the Classic series. The success of Blossom Dearie makes me think that another will have to pop up at some point. Vocal jazz has never been my prefered choice but its been growing on me for the past few years.

The obvious picks would be Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughan, but I would also be happy to see musicians such as Esther Philips (From a Whisper to a Scream), Johnny Hartman (For Trane is an interesting one), and Etta Jones (Don't Go to Strangers was released as an exclusive so At Last! might be a good one).
Dinah Washington’s “the Swingin’ Miss ‘D’” complete with the bonus tracks from the 1988 CD reissue would be great. According to discogs, it hasn’t had a US vinyl pressing since 1965. Her voice has stunning emotional precision - she’s just a fearless performer and she can sound warm and safe and happy and then suddenly turn on a dime and there’s this edge in her voice that’s almost scary because it just comes out of nowhere and you realize she’s had this intensity tightly coiled up inside her this whole time ready to be unleashed the second you slip up and make the mistake of underestimating her. It makes for a uniquely thrilling listen, haha. She just keeps you on your toes but rewards you for paying close attention, too.

Dinah Washington’s “the Swingin’ Miss ‘D’” complete with the bonus tracks from the 1988 CD reissue would be great. According to discogs, it hasn’t had a US vinyl pressing since 1965. Her voice has stunning emotional precision - she’s just a fearless performer and she can sound warm and safe and happy and then suddenly turn on a dime and there’s this edge in her voice that’s almost scary because it just comes out of nowhere and you realize she’s had this intensity tightly coiled up inside her this whole time ready to be unleashed the second you slip up and make the mistake of underestimating her. It makes for a uniquely thrilling listen, haha. She just keeps you on your toes but rewards you for paying close attention, too.
Sold! Where do I send my money?

For anyone who missed out on Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchadinanda, Impulse is reissuing it themselves as part of their Impulse 60 campaign. Pre-order is up now:

For anyone who missed out on Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchadinanda, Impulse is reissuing it themselves as part of their Impulse 60 campaign. Pre-order is up now:

Anyone get clarification if these additional impulse titles not in the AS series are going to be any good? Just run of the mill digital reissues like the Vital series?

Anyone get clarification if these additional impulse titles not in the AS series are going to be any good? Just run of the mill digital reissues like the Vital series?
So the Ray Charles and Gil Evans have been announced as Kevin Gray and Ryan Smith, AAA cuts I believe. Don't know about the rest

So the Ray Charles and Gil Evans have been announced as Kevin Gray and Ryan Smith, AAA cuts I believe. Don't know about the rest
Right but they are part of the Acoustic Sounds series. The Alice Coltrane is up for pre order for $25. I’m assuming it’s a digital cut too since that’s all that’s ever been done for her stuff recently.

That Gil Evans is probably going to be the same tape they used for the AP reissue from a while ago right? It sounds awesome but it is a second generation tape. I actually think the original Van Gelder copy sounded a touch better but my copy is VG condition. We shall see how it turns out. I’ll be getting both.

Right but they are part of the Acoustic Sounds series. The Alice Coltrane is up for pre order for $25. I’m assuming it’s a digital cut too since that’s all that’s ever been done for her stuff recently.

That Gil Evans is probably going to be the same tape they used for the AP reissue from a while ago right? It sounds awesome but it is a second generation tape. I actually think the original Van Gelder copy sounded a touch better but my copy is VG condition. We shall see how it turns out. I’ll be getting both.

the Gil Evans is a new cut from the original master tape which apparently was found after being lost. Very exciting news! The Ray Charles is using the same master as the AP

The AP ones will be from tape AAA, the ones Universal are issuing on their own under the Impulse 60 banner I would assume are not. Price difference I would guess is the way to tell which.

I picked this up based on your rec and it is FANTASTIC. Thank you!

EDIT: The Speakers Corner pressing.

Last edited:
I picked this up based on your rec and it is FANTASTIC. Thank you!

EDIT: The Speakers Corner pressing.
I ordered the speakers corner pressing from a seller in Germany too and just got a notice that it has arrived (somewhere) in the US! I’d held off on ordering it for so long because I was hoping there would be a US reissue at some point with the bonus tracks, but after posting about it here, I realized I should just get it, and I can always upgrade it later if that expanded pressing ever happens.

I ordered the speakers corner pressing from a seller in Germany too and just got a notice that it has arrived (somewhere) in the US! I’d held off on ordering it for so long because I was hoping there would be a US reissue at some point with the bonus tracks, but after posting about it here, I realized I should just get it, and I can always upgrade it later if that expanded pressing ever happens.
Good call. My copy came from a shop in Japan.

I have been thinking about which jazz vocalists I would be excited to see in the Classic series. The success of Blossom Dearie makes me think that another will have to pop up at some point. Vocal jazz has never been my prefered choice but its been growing on me for the past few years.

The obvious picks would be Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughan, but I would also be happy to see musicians such as Esther Philips (From a Whisper to a Scream), Johnny Hartman (For Trane is an interesting one), and Etta Jones (Don't Go to Strangers was released as an exclusive so At Last! might be a good one).
The Pure Pleasure of Esther Phillips is real nice. Should be easy-ish to get in your neck of the woods too! Love that album.

There has been talk of this in jazz/audiophile thread...the releases make no sense to me. Why press a $25 version of Out of the Cool and then also do a $35 one (especially when the AS series can usually be picked up for $25). AS also said most of their releases this year will be Impulse. It would be really disappointing if the $25 preorders aren't AAA but for now I'm staying far away from them until they release some actual info on them. The Vital Vinyl series was pretty shit from my experience while the AS series is great.

As for Out of the Cool, Chad said they found the original master tape which people thought was lost. I think it will be a different master than the AP. But hard to tell on a lot of these which is frustrating. He played coy on that video series recently essentially saying "stop asking if they are master tapes....trust us...we are choosing the best sources possible".

There has been talk of this in jazz/audiophile thread...the releases make no sense to me. Why press a $25 version of Out of the Cool and then also do a $35 one (especially when the AS series can usually be picked up for $25). AS also said most of their releases this year will be Impulse. It would be really disappointing if the $25 preorders aren't AAA but for now I'm staying far away from them until they release some actual info on them. The Vital Vinyl series was pretty shit from my experience while the AS series is great.

As for Out of the Cool, Chad said they found the original master tape which people thought was lost. I think it will be a different master than the AP. But hard to tell on a lot of these which is frustrating. He played coy on that video series recently essentially saying "stop asking if they are master tapes....trust us...we are choosing the best sources possible".
Yeah I wish they would be clear on everything. Personally, I don’t care what source they use so long as it sounds good.

Guys, really - because some little online retailer with a bot has posted some clickbait to attract preorder clicks from FOMO sufferers doesn't mean anything.

Nobody is going to do a $25 AAA version and a $35 one. Universal wouldn't use a valuable master tape 60 years old that way. And no one would degrade the market for a premium series by offering a budget version as well. Just confuses the market and sabotoges the premium offering.

Relax, all will be revealed. The premium series is being done by AS. The shit ones by Uni.

I have a brown pressing of Musical Massage that sounds good, but I am curious about VMP’s pressing of it. I might get it as a swap somewhere down the line.

I went with Man On The Moon this month. It was an album I kept holding off on. Thank God I did. Pressing looks very nice! 😍

Back