Vinyl Me Please Classics

So I swapped Isaac Hayes to go back and grab Donny Hathaway, and I'm finally getting around to streaming the Jan/Feb/Mar titles...has there been a weaker 3 month run since Classics began? I've never been one to complain about too much Stax but this is ridiculous.
I agree. I REALLY wanted to like Frederick Knight but spaced out after the first song every single listen through, there was one other interesting track somewhere in there but everything else felt very generic and forgettable. I cannot even begin to enjoy the Isaac Hayes' pick. The music is well enough but I would never ever ever ever pick this up if it wasn't put on the table by VMP. Just feels like the music does its job but nothing more. I've come around on Musical Massage but definitely had to make some concessions to justify picking it up but it feels worth it. March is the only month that appeals to me across the board and just barely.

I agree. I REALLY wanted to like Frederick Knight but spaced out after the first song every single listen through, there was one other interesting track somewhere in there but everything else felt very generic and forgettable. I cannot even begin to enjoy the Isaac Hayes' pick. The music is well enough but I would never ever ever ever pick this up if it wasn't put on the table by VMP. Just feels like the music does its job but nothing more. I've come around on Musical Massage but definitely had to make some concessions to justify picking it up but it feels worth it. March is the only month that appeals to me across the board and just barely.
What he said.
Tough Guys - stuff Isaac had knocking around, perfect for a minor key soundtrack
Frederick Knight - consigned to history for a reason. Syrupy. Sickly.
Musical Massage - has its hype machine on these pages... but I just don’t enjoy Leon’s voice.

Finally getting around to listen to Musical Massage and... I'm not too impressed by it? So far nothing really stands out to me, it's definitely not making me want to go make sweet love to my wife (besides she's too busy playing Animal Crossing).

I guess I got two months to soak it in, but yeah, I gotta say this stretch of Classics is a pretty big disappointment.

Finally getting around to listen to Musical Massage and... I'm not too impressed by it? So far nothing really stands out to me, it's definitely not making me want to go make sweet love to my wife (besides she's too busy playing Animal Crossing).

I guess I got two months to soak it in, but yeah, I gotta say this stretch of Classics is a pretty big disappointment.
You tried listening to it while in the bath... wearing a suit? Right? That's the combo you need to set that one loose

So I now have both the VMP and the Speaker's Corner Donny Hathaway....

The VMP is smooth, quiet and very well done, but it was disappointing to me since I was quite familiar with the stereo version of these tracks.

So I decided to seek out the Speaker's Corner. AAA, Kevin Gray, pressed at Pallas, stereo mix. Anyway, it's amazing. The first thing I noticed is how much the horns pop out on this version compared to the mono mix.

Nod goes to the VMP version for packaging though - the tip-on is really nice.

Anyway, bottom line, if you have the VMP, it's quite good. Some people might even prefer the mono mix. But in my opinion, if you like the album, you should seek out a Speaker's Corner. Also, there's no question which sounds better on headphones.

Holy shit yeah I thought the album wasn't even finished when it suddenly stopped

Would it be worth emailing VMP over my December classics pick? I swapped for “It Serves You Right to Suffer” and it shipped on December 4th. I still haven’t received it yet... tracking says it is in transit, but it has said that for a while.

Would it be worth emailing VMP over my December classics pick? I swapped for “It Serves You Right to Suffer” and it shipped on December 4th. I still haven’t received it yet... tracking says it is in transit, but it has said that for a while.
I would do so to create a record. I've done it twice and was told to wait until the end of the week and they'd consider sending replacements.

Or you can do nothing and just continue to wait for it while you get increasingly frustrated but if you go that route then........it serves you right to suffer [i'm so sorry]

Last edited:
I had this issue. Complained by email twice, then when the Jan items shipped and Donny still hadn’t I got onto the new chat thing. Someone in the warehouse “made an error” and they got it shipped. Definitely worth doing

On Friday, they declared my December package was lost in transit and resent everything from my December box.

Anyone get Tough Guys yet? My shipment is super late this month- no tracking yet. Wondering if it’s affecting all classic subscribers.

Anyone get Tough Guys yet? My shipment is super late this month- no tracking yet. Wondering if it’s affecting all classic subscribers.
I just got a shipping notification for Tough Guys about an hour ago. Along with 6 other notifications for 6 other records. All being shipped separately. How have they not figured this out yet? My mail person hates me I’m sure.

Back