Vinyl Me Please Classics

And that’s without opening them. Even if you can look paste myriad errors, including the ridiculous copy & paste ones that we’ve seen on more than one occasion, there just a real cringe factor to his writing. Maybe some of the ones by other authors were better, i gave up on them pretty quickly.
I sometimes think that maybe the Nazis started book burning because they saw a future that included VMP slamming one in the sleeves of its entire classics range and thought that maybe we should all get in some early practice to deal with that fate appropriately

Never had the white-hot hatred of the booklets that others had for them. I just couldn't be bothered to fight the paper band off and read them most of the time, and instead just put them away in a box.

Wonder how much it costs to produce them? What ever it is, VMP probably could have probably printed the listening notes on a 12x24 gatefold cardstock for cheaper.

Im a sucker for music-related books especially if there is a good story to them. I agree that the quality of writing is weak, but only when it isn't curated by someone outside of VMP. There are endless music journalists, authors, experts that make a living off these kind of articles and why they think they are of that calibre I just can't understand (more likely its just to save a quick buck).

I ended up getting a box to put all of the booklets in (as well as other paraphernalia like stickers, 45 adapters ect) but would much prefer a 12x12 booklet, even if its less pages.

....and I just noticed my copy is missing the notes booklet. Ugh.

Interestingly, this was one of the flattest classics vinyl I ever received...

Screenshot_20210131-192111_Chrome.jpg

Scoob ol' buddy I think we just solved the mystery of the warped record. Next let's look through these 7 separate mailers and see if we can find out why VMP prices are so high.

Out of curiosity, did most people stick with the Knight? I've never swapped for credit but this was my first (the swaptions were poor as well). I will likely do it for the Ware as well as that hasn't hit me and I certainly don't see myself putting that on for repeat listens, like, say, the fabulous Prine, Monk and Sharrock that just hit my doorstep. Maybe it's my Gen Xishness but I'm not feeling any of the first three, as I am 0-3 starting out. The barrel of worthy titles hasn't been scraped so is there some better curation needed for this Track?

Out of curiosity, did most people stick with the Knight? I've never swapped for credit but this was my first (the swaptions were poor as well). I will likely do it for the Ware as well as that hasn't hit me and I certainly don't see myself putting that on for repeat listens, like, say, the fabulous Prine, Monk and Sharrock that just hit my doorstep. Maybe it's my Gen Xishness but I'm not feeling any of the first three, as I am 0-3 starting out. The barrel of worthy titles hasn't been scraped so is there some better curation needed for this Track?

My main track was classics, and I've been subbed from day one. December I swapped for Billie Holiday. I swapped January for credit and later bought Donna Summer. February, I switched tracks to essentials for Strokes. I'm not sure what I'll do for March, yet, probably swap for credit again.

I swapped for credit and put monk in my cart....and then went to run errands. And now it's sold out. Naturally.

I canceled my Essentials for this month and kept the Knight. I always regret skipping on Classics since they're such nice pressings (AAA, Ryan Smith, QRP, Stougton tip-ons) and even if it's not the best album the record always sounds really freakin' good on my system. Sometimes I get surprised too by how much I turn out to like the release even if I'm lukewarm on it going in (this was the case on Tough Guys, Mr. Hands, and Gabor Szabo in particular)

I swapped Knight for The Strokes and dropped my add-on tracks. I was really close to keeping it but I’m trying to break away from this compulsion I have to get every Classics release. I may pick it up down the road, but I’m trying to limit my self and try to only get stuff I really really want.

I’m going to run out of space in my apartment eventually so I need to try and delay that as long as possible until we get a bigger living space.

I swapped Knight for Donny Hathaway, which I was initially on the fence for (plus that was the month Jazz Dispensary showed up in swaps). It's really grown on me the past few months so I decided to get it now before it was gone.

I actually haven't even listened to Knight yet but based on its lukewarm reception, I figured I'd have time to get around to listening to it aand maybe pick up some time down the road.

I swapped Knight for Donny Hathaway, which I was initially on the fence for (plus that was the month Jazz Dispensary showed up in swaps). It's really grown on me the past few months so I decided to get it now before it was gone.

I actually haven't even listened to Knight yet but based on its lukewarm reception, I figured I'd have time to get around to listening to it aand maybe pick up some time down the road.
The Donny Hathaway is easily one of my favourite Classics ROTM’s of 2020! I think it’s my third favourite Classics ROTM after Gabor Szabo and Aretha Franklin!

The VMP pressing for Donny Hathaway sounds stunning! It’s such a beautiful album to listen to in high quality!

I was on the fence, but kept it. I’ve had it on a lot on Amazon music and I’m now enjoying it. Same with the Leon Ware. It’s a decent pick for me, but it doesn’t hit immediately.

Tough Guys was a better listen than I had thought.

But FAR from what I would consider to be a necessary Isaac Hayes album. Did I enjoy it? Yes.
But did it contain a classic Isaac Hayes monologue? Which is what makes some of his albums so damn great?
Hell to the hell to the no.

The first five minutes of this is what I come to an Isaac Hayes album for:

Finally got around to listening to Donnie Hathaway. Love it. Great pick. I'd be really interested to compare the SC but I don't quite love it enough to have it in mono and stereo. This will definitely do though. Shame the picks completely fell off a cliff after this as this is balls to the wall brilliant

Finally got around to spinning Tough Guys. It’s... fine.

I think Hayes is a very talented composer and arranger and it’s a pretty enjoyable listen. Plus the pressing sounds very good. I’ll enjoy spinning it every now and then, but I could’ve lived without it in all honesty. Especially since I recently picked up a copy of Shaft (which is way better).

This really is the weakest 3 month period for Classics...

Finally got around to spinning Tough Guys. It’s... fine.

I think Hayes is a very talented composer and arranger and it’s a pretty enjoyable listen. Plus the pressing sounds very good. I’ll enjoy spinning it every now and then, but I could’ve lived without it in all honesty. Especially since I recently picked up a copy of Shaft (which is way better).

This really is the weakest 3 month period for Classics...
Totally agree. I've switched for the Strokes this month and, while I was going to try next months blind, I don't think I can be arsed. I'd rather hit up some store credit and wait for an AP restock.

Honestly I'm very happy with Tough Guys. It sounds great and we weren't gonna get Shaft or Black Moses or Hot Buttered Soul in VMP Classics anyway. But yeah, the fact that it's part of this weak 3 month stretch is pretty unexciting. Hopefully we get a big time title or two this spring.

Honestly I'm very happy with Tough Guys. It sounds great and we weren't gonna get Shaft or Black Moses or Hot Buttered Soul in VMP Classics anyway. But yeah, the fact that it's part of this weak 3 month stretch is pretty unexciting. Hopefully we get a big time title or two this spring.
Yeah, I definitely think it would have been more well received if it was sandwiched between two more exciting releases. But a lackluster 3 month stretch was bound to happen eventually. I’ll be more worried if the next few releases are equally unexciting.

Back