Vinyl Me Please Classics

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: So no option for middle aged men living with grumpy pets. Fab! VMP really fucked up on inclusivity for the March '21 picks

Right, you know what. I was going to sack March off too but I'm going to get Musical Massage, despite having never heard of it, hating baths (why wallow in a massive puddle of your own dead skin and general filth?) and associating suits and ties with going to either work or going to funerals. I'm going to listen to it blind too. You can put that down as one in the win column
Lol...I never thought about these things; but @NathanRicaud maybe you need to reevaluate sexiness.

@Rowan makes a good point about baths, and why one would wear suits....now imagine if the person has a flower allergy too. It sounds like there would be a different soundtrack for a night like that.....I don't know, Blink-182 (I'm trying to think of some unsexy music)

Lol...I never thought about these things; but @NathanRicaud maybe you need to reevaluate sexiness.

@Rowan makes a good point about baths, and why one would wear suits....now imagine if the person has a flower allergy too. It sounds like there would be a different soundtrack for a night like that.....I don't know, Blink-182 (I'm trying to think of some unsexy music)
Scott Walker - The Drift. Unless you class an aging Scott creating percussive effects by smashing the ribs of dead sheep while getting his drone on as sexy.

Scott Walker - The Drift. Unless you class an aging Scott creating percussive effects by smashing the ribs of dead sheep while getting his drone on as sexy.
I mean, even if I did, there are social conventions that would advise I do not admit it.

"Getting one's drone on".....the exact opposite of what you want to hear in an appraisal of such encounters

Both albums are absolutely stunning! Incredible ROTM picks! March is a 10/10 month with all three ROTM’s for me! 🏆🏆🏆

But if I had to pick one out of the three ROTM’s in March, it’s Leon Ware’s Musical Massage! Also, imagine how amazing the pressing is going to sound for Musical Massage! It’s instrumentally, a very lush album, so it’ll be a treat to spin!

Drugs, night person and dirty college room = Kid Cudi’s Man On The Moon 🌚🍄💊🎮🎧

Sex, luxurious bath sessions with candles and roses, suit & tie = Leon Ware’s Musical Massage 🥀🛀🕯⛲🥰

If anyone is a bit unsure on which album/track to pick for their March subscription out of the Classics and Essentials, this simple guide might help! 😊

You obvs never been a student. All rooms are dirty and they’re all night people. The drugs tend to be pot pourri that some local scaly has convinced them is weed...

Also why are you wearing your suit and tie in the bath?

is the Kid Cudi album any good? Not that I pay much attention generally but it's only got a rating of 4.1 on Pitchfork. It passed me by at the time & I was never a big fan of Kanye.
For people my age, especially in the states, MOTM really resonated with us. It spoke to a culture of depressive introverts who didn’t really understand how to function in society or how to navigate their emotions. I was an adolescent dealing with a toxic living situation when it came out and it helped frame my angst and helped me heal my way through a lot of it. It was just one of those albums that came out and felt like it was speaking directly to you, helped a lot of young people feel seen. A lot of people felt it came along at the right time and saved them from a not so great future. It’s also an album that influenced a metric TON of current musicians and hip hop artists. MOTM2 was a great follow up in my opinion, but he hasn’t put out a good album since tbh. This is the Cudi album to own.
But......Musical Massage influenced D’Angelo’s Voodoo!!! It really was the start of Neo-Soul and albums like Maxwell’s Urban Hang Suite wouldn’t have existed if it wasn’t for Leon Ware. Musical Massage is the quintessential seductive, lush and erotic album!💡

Baby monster is gagged that you don’t care for that album! 😱

Yeah I can definitely see how people can enjoy it, don’t get me wrong, I do like it as well! Loveeeee the album art in particular, just not something I think I would ever spin. If I want something soulful and sensual I’ll probs just reach for Brown Sugar or Voodoo. We’ll see, it might grow on me by March. In the mean time, going to scoop up Lianne La Havas and a Tone Poet for my ROTMs for January.

For people my age, especially in the states, MOTM really resonated with us. It spoke to a culture of depressive introverts who didn’t really understand how to function in society or how to navigate their emotions. I was an adolescent dealing with a toxic living situation when it came out and it helped frame my angst and helped me heal my way through a lot of it. It was just one of those albums that came out and felt like it was speaking directly to you, helped a lot of young people feel seen. A lot of people felt it came along at the right time and saved them from a not so great future. It’s also an album that influenced a metric TON of current musicians and hip hop artists. MOTM2 was a great follow up in my opinion, but he hasn’t put out a good album since tbh. This is the Cudi album to own.

Yeah I can definitely see how people can enjoy it, don’t get me wrong, I do like it as well! Loveeeee the album art in particular, just not something I think I would ever spin. If I want something soulful and sensual I’ll probs just reach for Brown Sugar or Voodoo. We’ll see, it might grow on me by March. In the mean time, going to scoop up Lianne La Havas and a Tone Poet for my ROTMs for January.

Music is great like that. I'll definitely give it a listen, if it can make such an impact I'm sure it's a great album.

Lianne L.A. Havas’ album that came out earlier this year is one of the best albums of 2020! Pressing sounds great too! And you can’t go wrong with any of the Tone Poets so great selections for your January ROTM’s! 🔥

I also love the album art for Musical Massage! It’s hot and bold and striking! 😍

If you don’t think you’ll spin it, then it’s probably not for you. Hopefully you do warm up to it though! It’s an album I’ll be spinning more than any of the 25+ Tone Poet titles I own, so it’s well worth it for me! ♥️

is the Kid Cudi album any good? Not that I pay much attention generally but it's only got a rating of 4.1 on Pitchfork. It passed me by at the time & I was never a big fan of Kanye.
I used to love it back in senior year high school/early college but I’ve really burned out of it. It was one of my first purchases on vinyl actually. But I don’t think I’ve listened to it since 2011 ha! I sold it recently and kind of want this new pressing but I know I’ll only spin it once and it’ll just sit there. It’s an alright album in my opinion. A little too much filler. The singles are good though and were everywhere for a couple years. Not sure why Pitchfork panned it. I don’t think they’ve rated anything by him highly though.

I have to say that although the pressing and mastering is clean and as great as it can be, I'm still disappointed that Donny Hathaway is in MONO. Was there something wrong with the STEREO tapes for this? I always heard these songs in stereo before and I quite like that mix.... oh well. That should teach me to read the fine print before signing off on a track.

Last edited:
I have to say that although the pressing and mastering is clean as great as it can be, I'm still disappointed that Donny Hathaway is in MONO. Was there something wrong with the STEREO tapes for this? I always heard these songs in stereo before and I quite like that mix.... oh well. That should teach me to read the fine print before signing off on a track.
I think the Speakers Corner is in stereo, pressed at Pallas and cut by KG. Once again, it's probably the "definitive" reissue despite what VMP says...the Donny album is my last VMP since I forgot to cancel the 3 month bridge deal. Still glad I got that one but I think most of my money will go to MoFi/AP/Speakers Corner from now on...

I think the Speakers Corner is in stereo, pressed at Pallas and cut by KG. Once again, it's probably the "definitive" reissue despite what VMP says...the Donny album is my last VMP since I forgot to cancel the 3 month bridge deal. Still glad I got that one but I think most of my money will go to MoFi/AP/Speakers Corner from now on...

I've been keeping an eye on the Speakers Corner pressing. That's what I'll go with when I can score a reasonable copy. It's a really great album...

I have 4 months to go on my bridge sub and then I'm pretty sure that's it for me too.

I've been keeping an eye on the Speakers Corner pressing. That's what I'll go with when I can score a reasonable copy. It's a really great album...

I have 4 months to go on my bridge sub and then I'm pretty sure that's it for me too.
Every speakers corner album I have sounds fantastic. Not sure best place to get them shipped to Canada but in the US, Plaidroom has them as does Acoustic Sounds and Comeback Vinyl.

Every speakers corner album I have sounds fantastic. Not sure best place to get them shipped to Canada but in the US, Plaidroom has them as does Acoustic Sounds and Comeback Vinyl.

I only have the Lou Reed and Patti Smith so far but I’ve the Donny Hathaway and a pile of Pure Pleasure pressings in a basket right now and I’m trying to summon the fortitude to not press go on them lol!

I only have the Lou Reed and Patti Smith so far but I’ve the Donny Hathaway and a pile of Pure Pleasure pressings in a basket right now and I’m trying to summon the fortitude to not press go on them lol!

Where do you order from? Sometimes it comes out cheaper from Europe for me.

Where do you order from? Sometimes it comes out cheaper from Europe for me.

From Pure Pleasure but their postage isn’t the cheapest so I tend to wait until I have 3 or 4 to get before I buy. Currently have it, a Paul Robeson album and 2 Mary Black albums in a basket that’s winking at me...

I’m in the same boat. Have an cart filling up with acoustic sounds with some Speakers Corner releases right now but don’t have enough to hit $99 to get the 15% off haha

Frederick Knight is a certified turkey but Musical Massage is wonderful so I beg to differ. I also think the orchestral funk of Tough Guys will sound great if RKS works his usual magic. Plus Tough Guys has one of IH’s most popular tracks and two that were used in Quentin Tarantino flicks plus some big hip hop samples so I think it has a reasonable amount of cachet even if it’s not hard to find.

Frederick Knight is a certified turkey but Musical Massage is wonderful so I beg to differ. I also think the orchestral funk of Tough Guys will sound great if RKS works his usual magic. Plus Tough Guys has one of IH’s most popular tracks and two that were used in Quentin Tarantino flicks plus some big hip hop samples so I think it has a reasonable amount of cachet even if it’s not hard to find.
Tarantino cachet and someone sampling you does not a good album make. One of his most popular songs??

Back