Vinyl Me Please Classics

I didn't get Tough Guys either. Ordered Prine, Killer Mike and Hathaway this month.. Still haven't shown up. Got the shipping notice for Prine and Mike on 1/5, it was set to show up 1/19, but has since been delayed. The shipping notice for Donny went out like 1/12 and was supposed to show up 1/20, also now delayed. I know the Post Office is way backed up.

I didn't get Tough Guys either. Ordered Prine, Killer Mike and Hathaway this month.. Still haven't shown up. Got the shipping notice for Prine and Mike on 1/5, it was set to show up 1/19, but has since been delayed. The shipping notice for Donny went out like 1/12 and was supposed to show up 1/20, also now delayed. I know the Post Office is way backed up.
I just got Prine and Hathaway yesterday.

Just listened to Tough Guys. Really great pressing as always, sounds fantastic.

I must admit that it's an odd pick though. I tend to go in blind on the Classics' that I am not familiar with, which is the case here. I know its a soundtrack, buts its just kind of a weird pick that drifts from cheesy early electronic to cheesy instrumental to cheesy 70's/80's film intro music to cheesy jazz. I actually enjoy the album but I cant see it being one that gets played as much as some of the others.

Just listened to Tough Guys. Really great pressing as always, sounds fantastic.

I must admit that it's an odd pick though. I tend to go in blind on the Classics' that I am not familiar with, which is the case here. I know its a soundtrack, buts its just kind of a weird pick that drifts from cheesy early electronic to cheesy instrumental to cheesy 70's/80's film intro music to cheesy jazz. I actually enjoy the album but I cant see it being one that gets played as much as some of the others.
Wrong! It's high brow prog-funk, just as good as ELP. Guess you are too low brow.

Sorry, not totally sure if you just thought my joke was bad or didn't realize I was joking. Or maybe I'm missing your joke! Just in case, I was sarcastically aping what Storf said in the write-up, which I think is really condescending towards funk aside from also being weird and dumb.

...the soundtrack to Tough Guys ultimately is: a daring, widescreen, progressive funk album from one of the genre’s finest craftsmen. Because Hayes was Black, and rooted in R&B radio, he didn’t get lumped in with the prog-rock groups then making waves on the rock charts, but he should have been. He was making music as expansive and expressive as Emerson, Lake and Palmer, and Yes; he was just doing it in a different context.

I'll take most funk all day over ELP personally, but I would never call great funk prog-rock, because I don't see any reason to compare funk greats to ELP and Yes and certainly not lump them together.

nah i'm just kidding, i like brain salad surgery a bit but i prefer my prog more guitar-y and less keyboard-y than ELP. I have no feelings for a (apparently) mediocre and slightly forgetable hayes album

I've spun it a few times and really enjoy it. The opening/closing title track is a bit on the cheesy side but the stuff in between is top notch. Side 2 is especially killer. Sounds awesome on vinyl. I dont' have a problem with the album it's a good album. I think it was in interesting choice when all the other great Isaac Hayes albums are out there and they picked one of his more obscure ones. Storfer completionism obviously. But in the end I'm glad I have this record.

Sorry, not totally sure if you just thought my joke was bad or didn't realize I was joking. Or maybe I'm missing your joke! Just in case, I was sarcastically aping what Storf said in the write-up, which I think is really condescending towards funk aside from also being weird and dumb.

I'll take most funk all day over ELP personally, but I would never call great funk prog-rock, because I don't see any reason to compare funk greats to ELP and Yes and certainly not lump them together.

....and I just noticed my copy is missing the notes booklet. Ugh.

For any last minute swappers:

Last month I Swapped for Credits and then grabbed the Etta James Sings Funk exclusive. It's still in stock, so if you don't love Frederick Knight, but enjoy some sweet Soul vocals, I would highly recommend doing this.

Caveat Emptor: It didn't get the "Classics Treatment", so it's likely not AAA, as they didn't advertise it as such, and it's pressed at GZ, but my copy sounds excellent and it appears to be a true exclusive.

....and I just noticed my copy is missing the notes booklet. Ugh.

Interestingly, this was one of the flattest classics vinyl I ever received...

Yeah the warp factor is almost the biggest reason to drop the booklets. I say almost because it’s clearly the quality and content of the booklets that’s the biggest reason to dump them...

Yeah the warp factor is almost the biggest reason to drop the booklets. I say almost because it’s clearly the quality and content of the booklets that’s the biggest reason to dump them...
They're totally annoying. I've lost count of the number of times I've struggled to put a classics Lp back in the sleeve before remembering it'll have one of those shit booklets rammed in a corner at the bottom blocking it. A right useless load of bollocks

They're totally annoying. I've lost count of the number of times I've struggled to put a classics Lp back in the sleeve before remembering it'll have one of those shit booklets rammed in a corner at the bottom blocking it. A right useless load of bollocks

And that’s without opening them. Even if you can look paste myriad errors, including the ridiculous copy & paste ones that we’ve seen on more than one occasion, there just a real cringe factor to his writing. Maybe some of the ones by other authors were better, i gave up on them pretty quickly.

Back