Vinyl Me Please Classics

I want to talk to VMP and Motown on the phone and seductively and passionately beg them to press Marvin Gaye’s I Want You! 😆😩
That would probably work. Pro tip from a person who has made a lot of "seductive/passionate" phone calls (I mean, lawyers have used the words "harassing" and "threatening" in court proceedings against me on behalf of their clients, but we all know that's "legalese" for seductive and passionate)....

Start the calls with a lot of heavy breathing. No words. Just heavy breathing. Set the mood. Give it a good 30 seconds. By then they'll know what you're about.

Last edited:
That would probably work. Pro tip from a person who has made a lot of "seductive/passionate" phone calls (I mean, lawyers have used the words "harassing" and "threatening" in court proceeding against me on behalf of their clients, but we all know that's "legalese" for seductive and passionate)....

Start the calls with a lot of heavy breathing. No words. Just heavy breathing. Set the mood. Give it a good 30 seconds. By then they'll know what you're about.
And tell them if they don't do it you'll put out your own kick-starter and will take them down. Hire a content writer called The Steve to put together an awesome book of listening notes (that definitely serves a greater purpose than making it more difficult to get the record back in the sleeve), pick some funky colours and you're all set. Nathan's Funky Record Club

And tell them if they don't do it you'll put out your own kick-starter and will take them down. Hire a content writer called The Steve to put together an awesome book of listening notes (that definitely serves a greater purpose than making it more difficult to get the record back in the sleeve), pick some funky colours and you're all set. Nathan's Funky Record Club
Hmmm....Nathan's Sexy Vinyl Club

Leaves it ambiguous to what you're exactly signing up for...

Absolutely delighted about Musical Massage, I think that’s going to be a Classics pick for the ages. Otherwise it’s a pretty humdrum 9 selections, will likely pick up Tough Guys if the pressing is fab but Frederick Knight is generic soul as far as I’m concerned. Lord Quas has some great moments but probably more a CD listen and the chipmunk/Eminem vocals can start to grate.

Even though I've got a copy of the Isaac record, I'm ok with the pick. I do really dig the album. Interestingly, I'd really never searched it out until I picked up this great tribute album by El Michels Affair about 10 years ago, in which they did three tracks from the album. Immediately went and tracked one down after that.

So I am in on the Leon Ware album. I am passing on the Isaac Hayes album.

I'm on the fence about the Frederick Knight album. Gave it a first listen today. It's a little top heavy, but a nice slice of the later Stax sound. It's a nice compliment to the other Stax albums I've gotten from this sub. So I'll probably be in.

Is the Frederick Knight really all filler except for one track!?!? 😳
That was always the Stax model. Create one hit single and then pad it out after to release as an album. The irony of I've Been Lonely... as a Stax album is that neither the single nor the album were even recorded at Stax (or Memphis for that matter). It was recorded in Birmingham. And it was the strength of the single that got him signed to Stax.

I think the other tracks on the album are pleasant and many are originals, so use your own ears and make your own decisions.

Because Musical Massage is such a strong album, and is easy on the ears, it’s an album that’s great to play for many occasions! I can’t recommend the album enough! It’s an innovative album, coming from an innovative producer at the time, who produced some of Marvin Gaye’s and Minnie Riperton’s sexiest and best songs ever in my opinion! 💯
Glad you're so excited about Musical Massage Nathan, but even you would be more excited for the Marvin Gaye album Ware wrote/produced, over this album. Fwiw, I do think Musical Massage is the best of these three, and an interesting album in the transition from Soul to Disco. I would be fine having it in my collection, but alas my VMP subscription will have lapsed and their new pricing structure is, to paraphrase Jimmy McMillan, the price is too damn high for an album I think is a 7/10.

I just read the VMP magazine on the upcoming three Classics ROTM and I just want to say that I’m so grateful that VMP staff member Amileah Sutliff pushed for Leon Ware’s Musical Massage for two years! We’re getting an audiophile reissue of this sensual, erotic, passionate masterpiece because of her! 🙏

I’m so proud of Amileah and am just so happy someone from VMP loves Musical Massage so much! C
It was wonderful seeing that the VMP reissue is AAA, remastered and pressed at QRP too! 💎

I think I’m going to pass on the Frederick Knight because I feel like that particular ROTM will stay around for a long time and I don’t love the album. I don’t want to pay USD$36 for it; I’d much rather reach out for something in the Analogue Productions section for USD$39!

Even the Galt MacDermot is only USD$25, and is AAA, remastered by Ryan Smith and plated at QRP! I prefer that album much more and it’s $10 cheaper than the Frederick Knight! Plus, it will sound incredible; the Galt MacDermot!

I think I’m going to pass on the Frederick Knight because I feel like that particular ROTM will stay around for a long time and I don’t love the album. I don’t want to pay USD$36 for it; I’d much rather reach out for something in the Analogue Productions section for USD$39!

Even the Galt MacDermot is only USD$25, and is AAA, remastered by Ryan Smith and plated at QRP! I prefer that album much more and it’s $10 cheaper than the Frederick Knight! Plus, it will sound incredible; the Galt MacDermot!

I just grabbed that Macdermot earlier today. Ive cut down on store exclusives but $25 for that one is a great price.

I just grabbed that Macdermot earlier today. Ive cut down on store exclusives but $25 for that one is a great price.
Yeah, and the music on it is great! It’s a really cohesive album and I’m glad it’s getting the AAA, remastered by Ryan Smith and plated at QRP treatment! It’s a great deal for sure if you’re still a VMP member! 🙌

Their pricing is so damn strange, some are $25,, up to $45 for single LP AAA titles. I just don't get it.
Mmmmmm so crazy, right! I guess the Jazz Dispensary titles were mastered by Kevin Gray and pressed at RTI, whereas the Galt MacDermot was mastered by Ryan Smith and pressed at GZ....

Still, such a massive price difference for two titles that are both AAA and have great pressing details!

I just gave it another listen, and I think the Frederick Knight record may be better than I initially thought. It’s not mind blowing or anything, but I really enjoy the arrangements on a lot of the songs. There‘s actually some pretty creative and enjoyable instrumentation going on in several places.

Overall it’s sort of a by the numbers soul record, but there’s enough there to keep me engaged that I‘m liking it more now after giving it a fair shake.

its usually very rare when the classics sub is the track causing the most controversy... most of the time people are at worst saying "well this feels like a dollar bin record but hey its an AAA RKS QRP pressing", and yeah stuff like patrice rushen is kinda controversial because of that bargain bin status but most of the time people are happy here

its shocking that these 3 months have caused so much commotion

its usually very rare when the classics sub is the track causing the most controversy... most of the time people are at worst saying "well this feels like a dollar bin record but hey its an AAA RKS QRP pressing", and yeah stuff like patrice rushen is kinda controversial because of that bargain bin status but most of the time people are happy here

its shocking that these 3 months have caused so much commotion
Are you in for that Leon Ware Dukey!?!

It’s the sexiest record VMP have done an exclusive pressing for! That’s right, Musical Massage is sexier than FutureSex/LovsSounds! 💦🔥😏😈

Back