Vinyl Me Please Classics

I can’t believe we are getting Leon Ware’s masterpiece “Musical Massage”!!! 😍😍😍

I’m already orgasming just from the thought of how good the pressing is going to sound with my upgraded cartridge compared to my current cartridge with the pressing I own now! 🙉🙈

Seriously feel like I want to faint! I couldn’t be any more happier with the Leon Ware pick! ♥️♥️♥️

I can’t believe we are getting Leon Ware’s masterpiece “Musical Massage”!!! 😍😍😍

I’m already orgasming just from the thought of how good the pressing is going to sound with my upgraded cartridge compared to my current cartridge with the pressing I own now! 🙉🙈

Seriously feel like I want to faint! I couldn’t be any more happier with the Leon Ware pick! ♥️♥️♥️

Somebody get a hose and spray down Nathan.

I don't have the Prine yet, and I'll be happy to see what Ryan Smith can do with Room on Fire. The Essentials choices just aren't doing anything for me at the moment, but that could change. Not sure how I feel about March, but we all have to live through January and February first, so I'm not going to stress about anything three months off for the time being.

Of the three, only Musical Massage has me excited. I’ll need to listen to Frederick Knight again though.

Sort of letdown by the first stretch of this year for Classics.
I have very little knowledge when it comes to soul (and don't actually know any of these other than Issac Hayes and even then I havent heard his music) so its a bit of an anti-climatic reveal for me as well. At least I know the pressings will be good (based on the others) and exploring new music is one of the reasons I like this sub. I do wish they spread the genres out though.

I have very little knowledge when it comes to soul (and don't actually know any of these other than Issac Hayes and even then I havent heard his music) so its a bit of an anti-climatic reveal for me as well. At least I know the pressings will be good (based on the others) and exploring new music is one of the reasons I like this sub. I do wish they spread the genres out though.
Spreading the genres out would be really nice. I feel like they do this where it is a few months of a genre in a row versus spacing them out. 4 male soul artists in a row is tough.

Of the three, only Musical Massage has me excited. I’ll need to listen to Frederick Knight again though.

Sort of letdown by the first stretch of this year for Classics.
Same with me. I love me some 70s soul, and the Frederick Knight is really good, but it's pretty easy to find an original pressing in great condition for reasonable prices. The Leon Ware is something I'll probably end up adding on and will be worth it even at the higher add-on price now.

For me, the Leon Ware and Donny Hathaway are just so different from each other. Donny Hathaway’s ROTM has a family gospel community sound, with heartfelt and emotive vocals whereas Leon Ware’s ROTM is erotic, sensual and steamy with seductive, falsetto like vocals.

Yes, they are both soul albums, but they are just so different to each other as soul is a really diverse genre.

Then you have the Isaac Hayes ROTM, which is more of a funk release. It’s barely soul really as Isaac Hayes doesn’t sing. Tough Guys has disco undertones and is extremely funky. It’s only being called a Soul release because it’s an Isaac Hayes record. It’s actually a funk record though.

Like the lineup VMP has are all from Soul artists, but they are complete different albums in sound. One of them isn’t even a soul album, and the ones which are soul albums are extremely different to each other in my opinion.

Like imagine having Machine Gun as a Classics ROTM and then Roy Ayers’ Vibrations as the next ROTM. People are gonna be like “2 jazz records in a row”, but they are so, so different to each other. That’s how I kind of feel with this lineup, especially as Isaac Hayes’ Tough Guys isn’t a soul album and more a funk album.

I agree with spreading out the genres a bit more. Maybe VMP is trying this out, like 3 months of a genre, to see if they can pick up people into that on a 3 month sub. Then if they aren't into the genre for the next 3, they can pass. Makes some sense, it might work.

I am ok with these three. I agree that the Knight might be weak, but it is a surprise and I might just dig it. The Hayes is really a jazz album, or jazz-funk. The Leon Ware is a panty remover.

For me, the Leon Ware and Donny Hathaway are just so different from each other. Donny Hathaway’s ROTM has a family gospel community sound, with heartfelt and emotive vocals whereas Leon Ware’s ROTM is erotic, sensual and steamy with seductive, falsetto like vocals.

Yes, they are both soul albums, but they are just so different to each other as soul is a really diverse genre.

Then you have the Isaac Hayes ROTM, which is more of a funk release. It’s barely soul really as Isaac Hayes doesn’t sing. Tough Guys has disco undertones and is extremely funky. It’s only being called a Soul release because it’s an Isaac Hayes record. It’s actually a funk record though.

Like the lineup VMP has are all from Soul artists, but they are complete different albums in sound. One of them isn’t even a soul album, and the ones which are soul albums are extremely different to each other in my opinion.

Like imagine having Machine Gun as a Classics ROTM and then Roy Ayers’ Vibrations as the next ROTM. People are gonna be like “2 jazz records in a row”, but they are so, so different to each other. That’s how I kind of feel with this lineup, especially as Isaac Hayes’ Tough Guys isn’t a soul album and more a funk album.
I wish they would do Machine Gun.

Yes soul is a very broad church. Tough Guys is so underwhelming considering what they could have got from Stax/Isaac Hayes. I’m sure the pressing will liven it up but I feel this is the sort of thing people would have jumped on at the previous price point but will hold off when $33 +

I wish they would do Machine Gun.
I know, same! I love that album so so so much! I was so happy we got Gabor Szabo’s Dreams however, as that may be my all-time favourite Classics ROTM!

Would love for Machine Gun to get the Classics VMP treatment though!

Yes soul is a very broad church. Tough Guys is so underwhelming considering what they could have got from Stax/Isaac Hayes. I’m sure the pressing will liven it up but I feel this is the sort of thing people would have jumped on at the previous price point but will hold off when $33 +
100% agree with this! People would be happy to jump on this for $23, but not so much $33

But don’t you know that this isn’t about curation or customers, it’s about filling the holes in a certain someone’s collection.

But don’t you know that this isn’t about curation or customers, it’s about filling the holes in a certain someone’s collection.
It certainly seems that way. That’s why Buddha Of Suburbia by David Bowie, Plagarism by Sparks and The Gold Experience by Prince will be the first 3 albums in my Murfo Classics subscription.

Edit: Bad example. People will want them.

It certainly seems that way. That’s why Buddha Of Suburbia by David Bowie, Plagarism by Sparks and The Gold Experience by Prince will be the first 3 albums in my Murfo Classics subscription.

Edit: Bad example. People will want them.

Or more accurately why Warnings/Promises by Idlewild, I To Sky by JJ72 and Welcome to the North by The Music are the first three picks in the mid level British 00s landfill indie subscription by Joe...

Back