Vinyl Me Please Classics

i think that JCO is as experimental and hardcore as they can EVER go.... it goes places but its not loud enough to hurt is basically what im saying.. it SOUNDS like its a classically composed free jazz album

i think that JCO is as experimental and hardcore as they can EVER go.... it goes places but its not loud enough to hurt is basically what im saying.. it SOUNDS like its a classically composed free jazz album

I think I'm in agreement with that, at least as far as ROTMs are concerned. If they ever got Machine Gun, it'd probably be an exclusive like Sonny Sharrock or Art Ensemble.

This Sonny Rollins sounds glorious. Even my fiancé pointed it out, she enjoyed the actual playing and sound quality very much. Think this is going to be one people are going to want a repress of when it sells out. So stoked we’re getting so much jazz!

Damn. Y’all are making me sad I didn’t reup (to be fair I took two months off so didn’t get a chance to reup at the old price). Don’t think I can justify 40 for a 1 LP though
I saw a Rollins on Discogs that said “wobbly” but no playback issues for $20, if you wanted to take the chance there.

I saw a Rollins on Discogs that said “wobbly” but no playback issues for $20, if you wanted to take the chance there.

Because of these stellar reviews, I'm tempted by that warped one on discogs for $20 (I have Vinyl Flat).

But here's what I'm sure will be an unpopular take: I don't get the hype about this album itself. I have the Keepnews series CD reissue and listened last night. It's good but really seems like Rollins is simply experimenting in Freedom Suite on a simple riff and many albums he made after this are much more successful. And the drums/bass are a nice accompaniment by legendary musicians but nothing stands out. The other tracks are all short standards done well but also don't really seem that remarkable. In the liner notes to the CD reissue, Keepnews reflects on the session: Rollins showed up late, and even thereafter, they had real difficultly recording anything acceptable to him. In fact, it was only the later date, without Keepnews, where his label partner stepped in to produce (who rarely attended studio sessions) when Rollins recorded "Freedom Suite." And the LP, without the bonus tracks on the CD, is about 34 minutes of total music.

It's a great session from probably Rollins' best era of work, which in jazz is a lot different than on rock/pop albums. There can be several albums from one or two sessions usually and it's a lot of improvisation of a group of guys getting together. Their recording output is usually a lot more prolific. Jazz greats like Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, etc. put out a lot of albums and a ton of them are from a certain golden era in their career where you can't quantify being the fifth or tenth best album in their career as being compared to like the tenth best LP in a typical rock/pop group's career. Like how Miles put out 4 great albums from two marathon sessions that one year with Prestige.

They weren't gonna get Way Out West, Sax Colossus, Tenor Madness, The Bridge, or any of his blue note stuff that Music Matters just did, so I think this was an inspired choice from what they could do.

It's a great session from probably Rollins' best era of work, which in jazz is a lot different than on rock/pop albums. There can be several albums from one or two sessions usually and it's a lot of improvisation of a group of guys getting together. Their recording output is usually a lot more prolific. Jazz greats like Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey, Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, etc. put out a lot of albums and a ton of them are from a certain golden era in their career where you can't quantify being the fifth or tenth best album in their career as being compared to like the tenth best LP in a typical rock/pop group's career. Like how Miles put out 4 great albums from two marathon sessions that one year with Prestige.

They weren't gonna get Way Out West, Sax Colossus, Tenor Madness, The Bridge, or any of his blue note stuff that Music Matters just did, so I think this was an inspired choice from what they could do.
Completely agree with that last part. Feel like this one needed audiophile treatment, where as the others already got that from other outlets. I’m definitely not unhappy with the pick, especially for a $25 subscription.

Of course not

Of course not and, of course, I already have really decent pressings of all of those titles. "Freedom Suite" is a welcome addition to the collection; I just wouldn't put it in the same category as the others.

Sonny Rollins was delivered today and I gotta say, this is a great pick. It sounds really great. After the underwhelming Money Talks, this is a win in my book. I have to admit though that Side B feels almost “by the numbers” compared to Side A. But I still really enjoy it.

This, Sahara and Aretha Now are probably my top three favorite Classics picks this year. Looking forward to the next two jazz selections.

Has anyone figured out what’s coming up? I’m on the point of re subscription and tempted to spend my subscription money on AP & speakers corner issues

Back