Vinyl Me Please Classics

Has anyone figured out what’s coming up? I’m on the point of re subscription and tempted to spend my subscription money on AP & speakers corner issues
Can’t go wrong with Analogue Productions and Speakers Corner! I prefer Analogue Productions pressings a bit more generally speaking though! I love both of them though! 👌

Can’t go wrong with Analogue Productions and Speakers Corner! I prefer Analogue Productions pressings a bit more generally speaking though! I love both of them though! 👌

The AP's are definitely more expensive in Europe, but I want more :)

I got the Carly Simon - No Secrets & Lou Reed - Transformer, Speaker Corner pressings this month and was blown away bay both. But they are probably a bit like Pure Pleasure, who have many outstanding pressings but also a quite a few that aren't bad, just not as impressive.

The AP's are definitely more expensive in Europe, but I want more :)

I got the Carly Simon - No Secrets & Lou Reed - Transformer, Speaker Corner pressings this month and was blown away bay both. But they are probably a bit like Pure Pleasure, who have many outstanding pressings but also a quite a few that aren't bad, just not as impressive.
Yeah, some Speakers Corner pressings are a bit average from what I’ve read on Discogs but I’ve never heard anything average about an Analogue Productions pressing!

Because of these stellar reviews, I'm tempted by that warped one on discogs for $20 (I have Vinyl Flat).

But here's what I'm sure will be an unpopular take: I don't get the hype about this album itself. I have the Keepnews series CD reissue and listened last night. It's good but really seems like Rollins is simply experimenting in Freedom Suite on a simple riff and many albums he made after this are much more successful. And the drums/bass are a nice accompaniment by legendary musicians but nothing stands out. The other tracks are all short standards done well but also don't really seem that remarkable. In the liner notes to the CD reissue, Keepnews reflects on the session: Rollins showed up late, and even thereafter, they had real difficultly recording anything acceptable to him. In fact, it was only the later date, without Keepnews, where his label partner stepped in to produce (who rarely attended studio sessions) when Rollins recorded "Freedom Suite." And the LP, without the bonus tracks on the CD, is about 34 minutes of total music.
I agree. I feel like this is a nice, slight album, well-pressed, but hardly Rollins’ best work.

Along these exact same lines, I think East Broadway Rundown would have been a slightly more essential pick. More experimental, yes, but more of an experience instead of an episode if that makes any sense.

Along these exact same lines, I think East Broadway Rundown would have been a slightly more essential pick. More experimental, yes, but more of an experience instead of an episode if that makes any sense.
Different strokes, indeed. I think East Broadway Rundown is a failure and it's quite difficult to listen to, espcially with Elvin killing it in the engine room. I have a soft spot for Freedom Suite though I have to wonder if it is because I really enjoyed Ken Vandermark's sorely missed Vandermark 5 group that did some great work at bringing that back to life in the 00s when I had forgotten about it.

They are announcing the next three months for all tracks in a few days, so we'll all know soon at least.
For $43 a month (after $25/month for 5 years) I can buy almost ANYTHING that will be a better value per month.

That being said I hope they have some solid goodbye offerings to keep/swap for on my track's last month.

Different strokes, indeed. I think East Broadway Rundown is a failure and it's quite difficult to listen to, espcially with Elvin killing it in the engine room. I have a soft spot for Freedom Suite though I have to wonder if it is because I really enjoyed Ken Vandermark's sorely missed Vandermark 5 group that did some great work at bringing that back to life in the 00s when I had forgotten about it.
Rollins was not a good fit for Impulse. His first was a good album, if pretty standard, and next pairing him with Coltrane's rhythm section was an experiment that is interesting at times but overall doesnt gel, particularly Elvin.
Then there was Alfie...
...and a live album that Rollins didn't want released but I like more than the other Impulses.
Freedom Suite is a killer album.

Rollins was not a good fit for Impulse. His first was a good album, if pretty standard, and next pairing him with Coltrane's rhythm section was an experiment that is interesting at times but overall doesnt gel, particularly Elvin.
Then there was Alfie...
...and a live album that Rollins didn't want released but I like more than the other Impulses.
Freedom Suite is a killer album.
I agree, but to be honest Rollin's wasn't a good fit for the album format. He mentions in his biography that he was absolutely fine with live sessions and would often play up to an hour-long solo. When recording equipment was involved he would clam up and feel constricted by the time slots.

With that being said though it just makes his albums even more impressive imo.

what have we thought of for november and december since we dont have confirmation of it

Back