Vinyl Me Please Classics

i lived in a home where i felt worthless like the protagonist
Awwww, that's terrible you felt like that! I wanna give you a really big, comforting, loving, long hug Dukey! I'm very happy to know it's not like that anymore, and that you and your brother get along so well and plan on moving out together to a big city in the future! ♥

@Selaws - Remember a few weeks ago you linked me Peter Brötzmann's Machine Gun and wanted to know my thoughts on it? Well, here are my thoughts on the album.

When I first played the Machine Gun, my reaction was a bit similar to @Mather in that I was like "What the actual fuck am I listening to?"! On my first listen, I couldn't even make it halfway through the first track - Machine Gun - as the music was too abrasive, chaotic, intense, hellish and the jazz playing on there had little to no melody. I was actually sweating a bit after my first listen because it just sounded like a nightmare coming into reality. My heart was actually racing!!!

Then, I thought I'd play the album a second time, especially as I quickly looked up the album on Wikipedia and saw all the glowing reviews the album had! The Penguin Jazz Guide gave it a perfect score and placed it in its core collection of jazz records. I thought to myself "Ok, surely I need to give Machine Gun another chance!". The next day, I played the album and for the most part, I didn't really enjoy it, although I was still very intrigued by the punk, aggressive and furious sound of the first track. Again, I couldn't make it through the whole album but I did listen to a bit more than I did the first time! And Selaws, you should've seen my face when I was listening to the first track - It was so expressive, like Mr. Bean's face! The violin shrieks, sharp horn blasts, pounding drums and the overall screaming saxophone playing had me doing so many ridiculous facial expressions; facial expressions that looked like if a baby ate a lemon for the first time! Hahaha

After the first track ended, I turned the album off as I endured a mini headache! I was like "this album is too hellish and brutal for me! It's too torture-y like for my ears! I've had enough". I was prepared to write back to you "Machine Gun is a noisy, aggressive, torture-like album that makes me ears bleed. I bloody hope it isn't the 1968 Classics ROTM pick"! But then, I thought to myself, "Selaws, the king of jazz, is telling me to listen to this album, and this album isn't getting perfect 5-star reviews from multiple magazines for no reason"!

So, I did my research! I learnt about how this album was created during warfare, and was like a protest album! The other musicians that played on Machine Gun were all radicals, according to Peter Brötzmann! After reading about the history and significance of this album, I was very excited to give the album a third chance/listen; a listen where I was more educated about that album!

After I heard the Machine Gun in full, tears started rolling down my face and I full on cried! The track 'Machine Gun' is the most relentless, furious, expressive, violent, unapologetic and insane song I have EVER heard! Although barely any rhythm is developed during the 17-minute length time of the song, the compositions and musicianship and endurance is seriously impressive! Even though the instruments sound quite demonic at times, as if they have been transformed into a weapon, there is something intensely beautiful about the song! It's metaphysically meaningful, in an animalistic way, and is one of the most authentic jazz songs I have ever heard! I am not sure i have ever been so moved by a song! The last time I cried to a song was when i heard Fiona Apple's Paper Bag in 2018, and the last time i cried before that was when I listened to a few tracks on Frank Ocean's Blonde in 2016 (Self Control & White Ferrari)!

Listening to Machine Gun is like having an extreme, military-style, dehumanzing, soul-cleansing detox! That's what Machine Gun is to me; a detox! I love the track so much, and I look very forward to the day when I play this album on vinyl, as I heard the full album (on my 4th listen) via a Bluetooth Speaker!

♥♥♥
Fantastic review @NathanRicaud, really enjoyed reading your breakdown - album breakdown, not emotional breakdown, although its great to hear music can hit peoples feelings!

I might be wrong here but I believe the title, Machine Gun, came from Don Cherry describing Brotzmann unique sound, so theres another bit of useless information for you :ROFLMAO:

Now that you've connected with it I would be interested to hear if you think VMP would be brave enough to ever choose it for a Classics pick? By its own nature its very polarising, 30+ minutes of intense power and noise. I struggle to think that many people would sign up for it tbh, but interested to see what you think?

Fantastic review @NathanRicaud, really enjoyed reading your breakdown - album breakdown, not emotional breakdown, although its great to hear music can hit peoples feelings!

I might be wrong here but I believe the title, Machine Gun, came from Don Cherry describing Brotzmann unique sound, so theres another bit of useless information for you :ROFLMAO:

Now that you've connected with it I would be interested to hear if you think VMP would be brave enough to ever choose it for a Classics pick? By its own nature its very polarising, 30+ minutes of intense power and noise. I struggle to think that many people would sign up for it tbh, but interested to see what you think?
Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it and thanks again for telling me to check out the album!

Do you love the album ‘Machine Gun’ Selaws? 🤔

You’re right with that piece of information! I remember reading that when I was researching the album! I love that the album got its name from Don Cherry!

Even though Machine Gun is a very well known jazz album, and an album that would be a ‘big’ pick for the Classics track due to its significance and popularity, I don’t think VMP would be brave enough to make it a ROTM! It’s way too polarising in my opinion, and because it’s one of the most abrasive, noisy and insane jazz albums ever, VMP wouldn’t bother!

I would love VMP to prove me wrong though, as I freaking love the album! But yeah...I highly doubt VMP would make Machine Gun a Classics ROTM!

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it and thanks again for telling me to check out the album!

Do you love the album ‘Machine Gun’ Selaws? 🤔

You’re right with that piece of information! I remember reading that when I was researching the album! I love that the album got its name from Don Cherry!

Even though Machine Gun is a very well known jazz album, and an album that would be a ‘big’ pick for the Classics track due to its significance and popularity, I don’t think VMP would be brave enough to make it a ROTM! It’s way too polarising in my opinion, and because it’s one of the most abrasive, noisy and insane jazz albums ever, VMP wouldn’t bother!

I would love VMP to prove me wrong though, as I freaking love the album! But yeah...I highly doubt VMP would make Machine Gun a Classics ROTM!
Love is a strong word but its an album I have grown to really enjoy. I initially had very similar feelings about it that you did, that it was just too harsh. I've delved into quite a lot of free-jazz since my first listen and when I went back to it I enjoyed it a lot more. It's certainly an album I would choose to sit through in its entirety (albeit I would have to be in the right mood). I was born after the big punk era and always imagined it to be an incredible time musically. I imagine Machine Gun had a similar impact on the jazz world when it was first released as well, some people get it and love it, some people hate it.

And @Selaws - I think a lot of people would sign up for Machine Gun! I think there is a really strong cult for that album and even if not, it’s got an amazing story! VMP just need to know how to promote the pick! It would be a killer pick!

If I worked at VMP, I would even alert the Metalheads about this Classics ROTM! Not even joking! I would be motivating everyone to grab the album! I would be like “take a ride with me into a real-life nightmare - an excruciatingly aggressive jazz album that will make you feel as if you are getting strangled, yelled, deconstructed and tortured! However, you will come out feeling so cleansed and free! It will have you begging for more!” 😈😈😈

LMAO I dunno! But seriously! If VMP got the chance, Machine Gun would be a huge pick for Classics and would be a pick that would make a lot of people happy! 💯

My guess/wish for classics/1968/co-owner of label is Phil Cohran and & The Artistic Heritage Ensemble. If you haven't heard their music, I highly recommend it. Cohran founded Zulu records and the "Malcolm X Memorial" album came out in 1968. Mississippi records did a reissue of it in 2007 but even this is hard to find. I was just corresponding with the label and they said they're in contact with Cohran's family about other reieases. Eight (!) of Cohran's sons are in Hypnotic Brass Ensemble.

Fingers crossed...

If anyone is genuinely interested in Machine Gun on vinyl, the current reissue on Cien Fuegos sounds great and the screenprinted front cover in illuminous orange paint is lovely.
I was actually thinking about you after I heard the album @Mr Moore ! I was wondering whether you loved or hated Peter Brötzmann’s Machine Gun! I’m so happy to know you loved the album! I thought Machine Gun might have been too harsh, abrasive and chaotic for you! Love, love, love it that the master of jazz loves Machine Gun! ♥️

If anyone is genuinely interested in Machine Gun on vinyl, the current reissue on Cien Fuegos sounds great and the screenprinted front cover in illuminous orange paint is lovely.

It's tempting but a little pricey to get it over in the States. It's why I'm holding out hope for an eventual US/worldwide release.

I love that you all are talking about Machine Gun. Man, I've loved this record forever. Talking about sandblasting your face. Cien Fuegos has done a nice job on various FMP titles. I've particularly enjoyed The Nearer The Bone, The Sweeter The Meat. I also didn't think that $29 a pop was too bad, I mean, that's less than VMP for starters.

It's tempting but a little pricey to get it over in the States. It's why I'm holding out hope for an eventual US/worldwide release.
It actually was worldwide but the pressing numbers are pretty small. It’ll get reissued again soon I imagine. Keep an eye on Forced Exposure. That’s where I got mine the first time around if I’m not mistaken.

It actually was worldwide but the pressing numbers are pretty small. It’ll get reissued again soon I imagine. Keep an eye on Forced Exposure. That’s where I got mine the first time around if I’m not mistaken.
This. They are the best resource for this (if your local can't get it).

I love that you all are talking about Machine Gun. Man, I've loved this record forever. Talking about sandblasting your face. Cien Fuegos has done a nice job on various FMP titles. I've particularly enjoyed The Nearer The Bone, The Sweeter The Meat. I also didn't think that $29 a pop was too bad, I mean, that's less than VMP for starters.
My wife's just described Machine Gun as like listening to a group of five year old's who've been given instruments for the first time :ROFLMAO:

My wife's just described Machine Gun as like listening to a group of five year old's who've been given instruments for the first time :ROFLMAO:
Tell her it’s an album that bought me to tears, because of how expressive, intensely beautiful and authentic the album is! Tell her that Machine Gun has the same emotional potency as Frank Ocean’s Blonde! 💯

She’ll probably roll her eyes or will be like “what an absolute fucking joke of an opinion that is!” 😂

Back