Vinyl Me Please Classics

Man, I’m not diggin’ Uno Dos Tres as much as I wanted to. Feels like such a safe pick. A few decent tracks but mostly 😔 for me.

A huge let down from the Herbie Hancock hype created a few months ago. But I guess that’s what VMP excels at.
Gotta say the same for me. Listened through a couple of times and I'm ... bored. :eek:

And this was supposed to a "game changer" 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

I just cannot get into Africa Brasil despite trying multiple times. I want to like it because I arbitrarily decided to get all the essentials releases of 2019 and so I’m a bit stuck with it, whether I like it or not. What am I missing with this thing?

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but it seems like Spanish Grease is better regarded. I wonder why they didn't choose that one.

Edit: Still has pop covers though, not something I'm used to with jazz albums.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but it seems like Spanish Grease is better regarded. I wonder why they didn't choose that one.

Was about to say Spanish Grease would have been the better choice - “Elation” is fire -, but I have no idea what availability is like at the moment. It may be a coincidence, but “Fried Neckbones...” was mentioned in the Beastie Boys book, so maybe that was a factor? Personally, I dig most of both albums.

I just cannot get into Africa Brasil despite trying multiple times. I want to like it because I arbitrarily decided to get all the essentials releases of 2019 and so I’m a bit stuck with it, whether I like it or not. What am I missing with this thing?
Not sure. I like it. It has unique combo of musical styles with classic rock, Jazz/funk and latin rhythm, and just enough variation of other sound additions as the album goes along to keep me interested.

I like that VMP is still introducing me to music, but I’m also stoked that they’re antics are causing me to look elsewhere. They do the work, I reap the benefits, they don’t get any of my money and hey.... I don’t really need it to be foil numbered anyways. Win-Win! Them shutting the forum down was a blessing.

I have been super into soul-jazz, and Jazz-fusion for a little over a year now and it seems like damn near every record I own in the Genre Has at least a couple covers on em. Personally, while I never enjoy them more than the originals I think the covers are always fun and it’s interesting to get different interpretations of songs that I am usually already overly familiar with. I like the upbeat, rushed take on “Michele”. The chorus is almost shouted and brings en welcome energy to their version. I may be in the minority but I am pumped to get this Bobo and Africa-Brasília. Neither of which I was familiar with until the hype started here. After listening to both I am pretty excited for July (hopefully they will arrive I good shape).

Last edited:
I have been super into soul-jazz, and Jazz-fusion for a little over a year now and it seems like damn near every record I own in the Genre Has at least a couple covers on em. Personally, while I never enjoy them more than the originals I think the covers are always fun and it’s interesting to get different interpretations of songs that I am usually already overly familiar with. I like the upbeat, rushed take on “Michele”. The chorus is almost shouted and brings en welcome energy to their version. I may be on the minority but I am pumped to get this Bobo and Africa-Brasília. Neither of which I was familiar with until the hype started here. After listening to both I am pretty excited for July (hopefully they will arrive I good shape).
Glad you're excited about it! I wish I was as excited as you.

I don't think any of the jazz records I have include covers of pop songs, but I don't have a ton. Plenty of them have them doing standards or other musicians' compositions, not sure I'd call those covers though.

Last edited:
Back