Vinyl Me Please Classics

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but it seems like Spanish Grease is better regarded. I wonder why they didn't choose that one.

Edit: Still has pop covers though, not something I'm used to with jazz albums.

I like 1-2-3- well enough, but Spanish Grease is definitely the better album.

If I was to pick a boogaloo album, I would have gone in a different direction altogether though - Mongo Santamaria, Willie Colon or Joe Bataan most likely.

Sister Rosetta? Did you get it? It sounds incredible, and IMO the music is great. I'd put it with Blossom Dearie and Call Me in the top half of Classics so far this year.
In all fairness, I didn’t get it. I checked out the streaming version a bunch of times but the music didn’t grab me. I’m sure hearing the AAA remaster would make a big difference though.

In all fairness, I didn’t get it. I checked out the streaming version a bunch of times but the music didn’t grab me. I’m sure hearing the AAA remaster would make a big difference though.
It really does. I don't have a high-end system so I'm not one of those guys who swears that vinyl always makes a noticeable difference in sound quality. But in this case, streaming that album doesn't do it justice.

1-Call Me
2-Left My Blues In San Francisco
3-Laugh To Keep From Crying
4-Blossom Dearie
5-Gospel Train
6-Oriental Jazz

that's how I'd rank em this year so far. Gospel Train is great, only one I swapped was Lloyd Miller. I'd probably put Willie Bobo 6th and Oriental Jazz 7th, but I think it's pretty good. #1 and #2 are clearly the best of the year so far to me, as much as I dig the NTR.

I like 1-2-3- well enough, but Spanish Grease is definitely the better album.

If I was to pick a boogaloo album, I would have gone in a different direction altogether though - Mongo Santamaria, Willie Colon or Joe Bataan most likely.
When digging for clues I found I REALLY like Joe Bataan's early stuff. Wish that was it.

1-Call Me
4-Blossom Dearie
5-Gospel Train
6-Oriental Jazz

that's how I'd rank em this year so far. Gospel Train is great, only one I swapped was Lloyd Miller. I'd probably put Willie Bobo 6th and Oriental Jazz 7th, but I think it's pretty good. #1 and #2 are clearly the best of the year so far to me, as much as I dig the NTR.

Identical list for me. 🍻

1-Call Me
4-Blossom Dearie
5-Gospel Train
6-Oriental Jazz

Just listened to Call Me again last night. Damn, that's such a great album.

Last edited:
Got my copy of SRT today. Instead of a secret 7 I got someone's return mail in my box? Is it possible for loose mail to get into one of the VMP boxes with USPS?

View attachment 8068

I've had that happen before. Not with a VMP shipment, but with other record mailers. Just stick it back in your mailbox, and they should be able to deliver it... to somebody else at least.

This is so tough for me after 1 and 2. They are pretty interchangeable or mood-dependent, if you will. Case in point... it is taking me far longer to come up w/ a 3-7 bc i keep changing my mind... Outside of Sarah Webster Fabio, i can see any of the classics albums placed outside the first 2. I like Fabio just fine, but not something I play repeatedly.

1. Blossom
2. Al Green
3. James Booker
4. Little Milton
5. Koko Taylor
6. Nat Turner
7. Oriental Jazz

Back