Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I don’t know about all of you but I am so freaking excited about this Herbie Hancock Anthology Boxset! Especially as the recent VMP Anthologies have been sublime in terms of pressings and presentations/rollout! 👌

THIS BOXSET IS GOING TO BE SEMI LIFE-CHANGING FOR ME! 💯

I’ve got pretty much all of Miles Davis MoFi pressings and I’m so stoked to know that I’ll have a great collection of Herbie Hancock too - where are all the pressings I have will be quality ones! 💎

I’m definitely going to be listening to the podcast and am going to be fully immersing myself in all the Herbie Hancock albums! 🎹🎧👨‍💻

I’M SO EXCITED THINKING ABOUT IT ALL 😇🥳😃🤙

Dang you got me. I am not a huge jazz collector but I do own 7-8 Miles Davis records and have about 50 jazz records.
As of now I have zero Herbie Hancock records. It looks like I too will be picking up a copy of this. Time to save money!

Anyone received shipping yet for Zamrock, I've got a mysterious package coming from Harrisburg, and since I am no longer a VMP member not quite sure what else it could be. All my other orders I'm waiting for are coming from the west coast or canada, or overseas, so I have a hunch it may be Zamrock

Anyone received shipping yet for Zamrock, I've got a mysterious package coming from Harrisburg, and since I am no longer a VMP member not quite sure what else it could be. All my other orders I'm waiting for are coming from the west coast or canada, or overseas, so I have a hunch it may be Zamrock

In the past, VMP never shipped Anthology of NC. They shipped the Blue Note one out of Colorado, and the rest out of NY (Though I wouldnt be surprised if the NY shipping partner is not operating right now). I really really really hope they don't start using Saddle Creek for Anthology too...

In the past, VMP never shipped Anthology of NC. They shipped the Blue Note one out of Colorado, and the rest out of NY (Though I wouldnt be surprised if the NY shipping partner is not operating right now). I really really really hope they don't start using Saddle Creek for Anthology too...
Hmmm time to dig through order histories and see if there is anything I overlooked

Since I still don't have a shipping notice for April's yet, who knows. They did say they would be shipping in late April so it should be going out soon-ish, I hope.

So what date around do we all think the Herbie Hancock Anthology Box Set will go on sale? 🙇‍♂️ ✍️

I was thinking maybe really soon, but I think it won’t go on sale anytime soon as the Zamrock box hasn’t even started shipping yet! I think the Herbie Hancock Anthology will go on sale sometime in June!

What do you all think!? 🤔

kicking myself for waiting too long on the zamrock set. Hopefully there's a few that get listed on discogs for list price.
Supposedly most of the albums will get a re-release within the next year. Someone reached out to Econ and he supposedly said all the Now-Again titles will get released.

Supposedly most of the albums will get a re-release within the next year. Someone reached out to Econ and he supposedly said all the Now-Again titles will get released.
Oh neat that's way better. I assume they'll probably be cheaper but also lower quality packaging and pressed wherever now again does its standard releases. Still though that's better than no music.

Hoping the Herbie set has a high quality release of Thrust. That would push me to pick up a set day 1.

Oh neat that's way better. I assume they'll probably be cheaper but also lower quality packaging and pressed wherever now again does its standard releases. Still though that's better than no music.

Hoping the Herbie set has a high quality release of Thrust. That would push me to pick up a set day 1.
I really, really hope we get Thrust in that Herbie Hancock Boxset too! I have the Music On Vinyl pressing which is good, but I want a spectacular pressing of it! I love Thrust so much! It’s definitely one of my favourite Herbie Hancock albums!

Some Now-Again pressings are around $25 so will be interesting to see which get a repress soon. None of these are color vinyl so could see a lot of people be disappointed if it’s cheaper to buy in non-box form.

This is so awesome. I'm curious what the albums will be? Based on what hasn't had a recent reissues, here are my guesses:

Blue Note Leader (Edit: Empyrean Isles)
Miles' 2nd Quintet (Miles in the Sky)
Jazz-Funk Fusion (Sextant or Thrust?)
VSOP (VSOP)
80s/90s Herbie (Future Shock)
Elder Statesman Herbie (Gershwin's World)

I love some of these picks. I esp hope we get Point of View since Empyrean got a Music Matters release. Also think Miles in the Sky may be out too due to the mofi release. Moreover, I bet they focus on albums where Herbie's the main billing anyhow. Speak like a Child is still in stock with MM albeit for $100.

I think they'll discuss those eras but use his trajectory through the different labels/catalogs as guideposts, one would think 2 from each - Blue Note, Warner Brothers, Columbia and Verve. But, with the WB stint so brief, it could be heavier on one of the others. And, the WB releases all got recent MOV pressings.

Here's some that need reissues anyhow and aren't ones I frequently see in bargain bins:

Blue Note - Point of View

WB - (these got MOV releases last year or so)

Colombia/CBS - Directstep and The Piano (both need RE and represent his time recording Japan), VSOP (needs RE), Feats Don't Fail me Now (disco era; no LP RE since 79), Magic Windows (no RE since release in 81); The Quartet (no LP RE since 1982), Perfect Machine (Laswell, Collins period, no US LP, and the most divisive to be sure)

Verve - The New Standard (no LP, only South Korea); River: The Joni Letters (no US LP release, just euro 07)

I'm thinking its along the lines of:
Point of View (1963)
-(this jump bothers me, my hunch is its got to be something in this time frame and not the Quartet below)
VSOP (1977)
Directstep (1979)
- The Quartet (1982, recorded 81)
Magic Windows (1981)
Perfect Machine (1988)
The New Standard (1996)
The Joni Letters (2007)

I love some of these picks. I esp hope we get Point of View since Empyrean got a Music Matters release. Also think Miles in the Sky may be out too due to the mofi release. Moreover, I bet they focus on albums where Herbie's the main billing anyhow. Speak like a Child is still in stock with MM albeit for $100.

I think they'll discuss those eras but use his trajectory through the different labels/catalogs as guideposts, one would think 2 from each - Blue Note, Warner Brothers, Columbia and Verve. But, with the WB stint so brief, it could be heavier on one of the others. And, the WB releases all got recent MOV pressings.

Here's some that need reissues anyhow and aren't ones I frequently see in bargain bins:

Blue Note - Point of View

WB - (these got MOV releases last year or so)

Colombia/CBS - Directstep and The Piano (both need RE and represent his time recording Japan), VSOP (needs RE), Feats Don't Fail me Now (disco era; no LP RE since 79), Magic Windows (no RE since release in 81); The Quartet (no LP RE since 1982), Perfect Machine (Laswell, Collins period, no US LP, and the most divisive to be sure)

Verve - The New Standard (no LP, only South Korea); River: The Joni Letters (no US LP release, just euro 07)

I'm thinking its along the lines of:
Point of View (1963)
-(this jump bothers me, my hunch is its got to be something in this time frame and not the Quartet below)
VSOP (1977)
Directstep (1979)
- The Quartet (1982, recorded 81)
Magic Windows (1981)
Perfect Machine (1988)
The New Standard (1996)
The Joni Letters (2007)

I doubt Point of view will be included, since it will be reissued in the Tone Poet series later this year

Back