Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Here's the Anthology back cover art vs. the RVG Edition CD back cover that it was taken from:
View attachment 1449

View attachment 1451

Wow, that is incredibly lame. Somehow Analogue Productions and Classic Records were able to find suitable images for their reissues 10 years ago... so I wonder what the excuse here will be...

Wow, that is incredibly lame. Somehow Analogue Productions and Classic Records were able to find suitable images for their reissues 10 years ago... so I wonder what the excuse here will be...

Small company blah blah blah. Well, I think I now understand why they shut down the forum that quickly. They knew they screwed up again.

From the Steve Hoffman forum:

I guess Blue Note just sent the only hi-res artwork they had (the CD). But somebody at some point deleted track 8 (the CD bonus track) and changed the bottom copyright info, but didn’t worry about about the track listing not being listed by LP side, the producing/mastering credits being wrong, or the front cover having a totally irrelevant catalog number. Not to mention not having the original liner notes which every LP reissue of Dexter Calling has. It’s possible BN prepared the edits, or VMP. Either way it should have been caught 3-4 times before ever being released that way.

And also:

They knew that they messed up so they shut down the forums before all the complaining could come...

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/vmp-anthology-the-story-of-blue-note-records.826660/page-11

It will be the usual VMP 'dog ate my homework' excuse. Probably small company, just growing, staff rushed etc

The orginal:
dexter-gordon-blp-4083-dexter-calling-cover-1920-ljc.jpg

dexter-gordon-blp-4083-dexter-calling-back-1920-ljc.jpg

What we got (courtesy of @birchstick) :

The thing that kills me, is that this is such basic stuff. It's so completely obvious to anyone who is a music fan let alone works at a record company, that if you are doing what you claim to be a high end BlueNote box set you NEED to get the artwork right. There's no QUESTION it has to be a exact reproduction of the original artwork... one way or another. And if BlueNote sends you the wrong artwork you have to make sure it's corrected. How this sort of thing ever makes it to print is just staggering to me. It's gross incompetence, and it keeps happening over and over. It's beyond my comprehension.

Man, VMP may be hoping a lot of their more basic (i.e younger) customers don't sweat the catalogue number screwup, but MAN if you are a serious Blue Note collector and jazz head this is straight up non-forgivable and might even warrant a straight up refund.

Blue Note is as serious as it gets for collecting and having the damn CD number on the front cover of a high end collector box set is just laughable. If VMP doesn't do something it could seriously tarnish that Anthology rep.

Man, VMP may be hoping a lot of their more basic (i.e younger) customers don't sweat the catalogue number screwup, but MAN if you are a serious Blue Note collector and jazz head this is straight up non-forgivable and might even warrant a straight up refund.

Blue Note is as serious as it gets for collecting and having the damn CD number on the front cover of a high end collector box set is just laughable. If VMP doesn't do something it could seriously tarnish that Anthology rep.
Yeeeeep, this exactly. Like who the hell do you think you're fooling with this? They jumped into pretty much the biggest pool around with BlueNote collector reissues, if they think this shit is gunna fly outside of their little VMP world they have A UNIVERSE of hurt coming. This is going to get SAVAGED.

This is disappointing. Blue Note has, arguably, some of the most rabid vinyl fans out there. Something like this will absolutely NOT fly under the radar. Its why Music Matters Jazz releases are so highly lauded by that group. The extra time, care, and attention to detail they put into their releases alone makes it worth the higher asking prices. This box belongs in that same category price-wise and, as such, a meticulous eye and greater care should have been placed on the releases.

Yeeeeep, this exactly. Like who the hell do you think you're fooling with this? They jumped into pretty much the biggest pool around with BlueNote collector reissues, if they think this shit is gunna fly outside of their little VMP world they have A UNIVERSE of hurt coming. This is going to get SAVAGED.

And as much as I jab at SHF, this is exactly the type of thing they will melt down over for 80 pages of thread and relentlessly hound VMP over. Old people with disposable income make the worst angry customers.

So true. Blue Note peeps are mad obsessive. The "remastered in 2003" info on the back should have been a pretty obvious tip-off. Or, a quick click over to Discogs to proof the art work. Such a disappointment.

And as much as I jab at SHF, this is exactly the type of thing they will melt down over for 80 pages of thread and relentlessly hound VMP over. Old people with disposable income make the worst angry customers.
Honestly I'm very much looking forward to this and was thinking the same thing... they think WE were bad... Oh my god they will NEVER hear the end of this. There will be lawsuits, seriously.

Back