Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Ah great point, I forgot about that series! Plus they have Shepp's Attica Blues as Classics so they won't go back to that particular title.

Imagine if they DONT include a Coltrane record :ROFLMAO:
Maybe Alfie by Sonny Rollins makes it in?

I'm also not sure which Coltrane record they do considering the missing tapes. Does Crescent have a forthcoming reissue?

I kinda hate playing the guessing game because I'm almost always disappointed.

Maybe Alfie by Sonny Rollins makes it in?

I'm also not sure which Coltrane record they do considering the missing tapes. Does Crescent have a forthcoming reissue?

I kinda hate playing the guessing game because I'm almost always disappointed.
Maybe they aren't going with the original tapes on this one. It would pretty crazy for them to compile an Impulse! box without him.......although stranger things have happened from VMP.

Yeah, I totally get you on that one. It's a case of building the perfect box in your mind and unless they tick off each release then you are never going to be fully happy.

Maybe they aren't going with the original tapes on this one. It would pretty crazy for them to compile an Impulse! box without him.......although stranger things have happened from VMP.

Yeah, I totally get you on that one. It's a case of building the perfect box in your mind and unless they tick off each release then you are never going to be fully happy.
The main thing that gives me pause about this set is Chad Kassem pretty much saying that they wanted to do tons of impulse titles but couldn't because they weren't happy with the state of the tapes/there weren't any tapes. AS has been trying to do more Impulse titles for years so not sure what VMP would magically do to press albums that AS couldn't. It's part of why Chad had to use old metalwork on a lot of those AS reissue records.

I feel like to tell the story of Impulse, you have to include at least:

*John Coltrane
*Alice Coltrane
*Mingus
*McCoy Tyner
*Ray Charles
*Chico Hamilton
*Ellington
*Ahmad Jamal
*Albert Ayler
*Archie Shepp
*Pharoah Sanders

then you have maybe Blakey, Curtis Fuller, Elvin Jones (would love them to do Heavy Sounds with Richard Davis), Freddie Hubbard, Gabor Szabo, JJ Johnson, Charlie Haden (seems like a VMP kinda pick), and newer stuff like Comet is Coming or Sons of Kemet. There's such a huge array of important albums and incredible artists. I think I'd take Impulse's catalogue over Blue Note's even...

Ah great point, I forgot about that series! Plus they have Shepp's Attica Blues as Classics so they won't go back to that particular title.

Imagine if they DONT include a Coltrane record :ROFLMAO:

The only way there isn't a John Coltrane record is if they have a Coltrane Anthology planned, but even then one would think they would include a Coltrane record in The Story of Impuse! seeing as he was the driving force of the label.

I actually wonder if they do two John Coltrane records. Like an early, accessible album like Africa/Brass, and then a late period Spiritual / Free jazz one, like Expression.

Yeah sooooooo not sure what I expected, but due to all of the QC issues lately I had built up a significant amount of store credit and decided to use it to buy the Philly International set. One big purchase and then I’m out.

I bought it yesterday! Then today they send out the email that it’s delayed until February. It was supposed to ship out this month. Did they really not know until today, that it would be delayed by 3 months! I get that supply chain issues are beyond their control but, come on.

Tried to make a clean break and got fucked again.

I guess the bright side is that if that Impulse set has the goods I can cancel the PI set and get it.

They probably knew for a while that there'd be a delay but waited until they had a firm estimate before making the announcement.
Yeahhhhhh probably. There is always a problem and always an excuse.

If you wrestle with pigs you get dirty. Not sure why I thought I could make a clean brake. Should have known better!

Back