Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I'm on my like... 5th? 6th Wu Tang? I think if you have a Fine Line or Shibata cart then no, there are definitely not any clean ones in existence. Mine have all been pretty much terrible save one that's SLIGHTLY better than the others. And by slightly I mean the noise lasts through the entirety of Bring The Ruckus, but no further.
My first copy of 36 chambers had a quiet crackle in the right channel which I could only really hear if I was close to the speaker, during quieter parts of the music. Still completely unacceptable. When the replacement came in I really realized what everyone else must have been referring to. Super loud crackle as loud if not louder than the rest of the music, just like ATLiens. So I guess I’m lucky that my first shitty copy isn’t aaaaaaaaas bad?

At this point it just seems like they will always use GZ because:

A) exclusive colored vinyl makes the set unique for if/when these are pressed on regular black vinyl later

B) GZ has the most color options

C) lowest cost to produce to allow the most profit without hiking up the anthology price even more

D) GZ may be the only plant that can accomodate them right now with how busy RTI/QRP/Pallas are

Pauly spoke on reddit about them working hard behind the scenes to fix the issues but pretty much said they still plan to use GZ.
I think every plant can accommodate Anthology pressings at runs of 1,000 with enough planning. It's just a choice for the bottom line.

I'm on my like... 5th? 6th Wu Tang? I think if you have a Fine Line or Shibata cart then no, there are definitely not any clean ones in existence. Mine have all been pretty much terrible save one that's SLIGHTLY better than the others. And by slightly I mean the noise lasts through the entirety of Bring The Ruckus, but no further.
What's your secret to getting more than 3 tries? They posted today that it's 3 tries and you're out on Reddit.

I love that album so much that I just went ahead and swapped for it again. So there was no secret. Just me being an idiot and hoping that there was actually a good one out there.
Fuck, I was afraid of that answer. I too love this album and just really want a good version on vinyl. Fuck me running. My second copy should be here within the next couple of days. I picked a helluva time to not stay on top of my VMP releases. They got me good with 4 straight months of noise.

Fuck, I was afraid of that answer. I too love this album and just really want a good version on vinyl. Fuck me running. My second copy should be here within the next couple of days. I picked a helluva time to not stay on top of my VMP releases. They got me good with 4 straight months of noise.
They have definitely brought the motherfucking ruckus.

Yeah man, it sucks. There are very few albums I would have bought again knowing these issues. 36 Chambers is one of them. I have the LTD numbered MOV press of it and the 7" box set and the sound on this VMP kills both of them pretty thoroughly, when it isn't crackling up a storm in my right channel...

Yeah man, it sucks. There are very few albums I would have bought again knowing these issues. 36 Chambers is one of them. I have the LTD numbered MOV press of it and the 7" box set and the sound on this VMP kills both of them pretty thoroughly, when it isn't crackling up a storm in my right channel...
Yeah I was blown away how good the rest of the album sounds. In the correct order too!

I bought two near-mint copies of The Dude months ago because it was a sore omission in my vinyl collection for the longest. Incredible engineering and recording. Universal did an unnecessary colored vinyl reissue of the album for its 40th anniversary this summer and the quality wasn't received well at all. I suspect it was pressed at Pallas. The reissue that's in this Anthology has a similar color variant, but it's pure yellow and is pressed at GZ.

Odd -- most of the vinyl I've got that's gone through Pallas has been exceptional. I am thinking of Zappa reissues and Nirvana specifically, but I'm sure I have others that I'm not thinking of at the moment. Maybe it's because they were color? Although my recent Hot Rats is hot pink and pressed at Pallas and sounds amazing.

Odd -- most of the vinyl I've got that's gone through Pallas has been exceptional. I am thinking of Zappa reissues and Nirvana specifically, but I'm sure I have others that I'm not thinking of at the moment. Maybe it's because they were color? Although my recent Hot Rats is hot pink and pressed at Pallas and sounds amazing.
I own maybe 25 to 40 records pressed at Pallas and everyone is perfect. They are the only plant that has not given me any troubles. From my limited experience, I think they are the best plant out there.

I had one copy of Can-Future Days with bad surface noise that needed replacing but other than that I've never had any issues with any Pallas pressing. In my experience they're one of the best.

I won’t be getting the Quincy Jones Anthology but am happy VMP are doing it, as I think Quincy Jones is a great artist to showcase his discography!

I was hoping that the Boxset was going to be half Quincy Jones albums + albums he had produced such as Michael Jackson’s Off The Wall, The Brothers Johnson’s Right On Time & Donny Hathaway’s Come Back, Charleston Blue!

I wish the last two albums in this Quincy Jones Anthology box were swapped for a Michael Jackson and The Brothers Johnson album! I would’ve purchased it if that happened!

The fact that this is pressed at GZ means it’s a definite pass for me! I’d love to get my hands on that Quincy Jones’ Body Heat exclusive though!!! There some steamy, sexy songs on that one and I love that album!

Well, they chose the right albums (except for the Wiz soundtrack, which probably got in because they wanted to include Michael Jackson and couldn't get one of his solo albums), but oh geez it's the GZ. :oops:

I believe Sam Records also said Pallas was disappointing lately and they might switch plants. Every plant seems to be having issues but GZ is still the worst. Optimal is probably a little tier above. These places are frantically trying to keep up and it results in bad QC. I don't think it'll be solved anytime soon sadly.
Playing catch up now, but yes this is correct.

I had a strange mark on my copy of Billy Harper that resulted in clicking and Fred sent over a replacement straight away and messaged to say that he had a few issues with Pallas for this title so he is no longer using them. The first issue I have ever had with Sam (after buying every release from the start) and this is how they deal with issues, top-notch stuff and really goes to show that quality can be achieved with effort and decisive action.

Playing catch up now, but yes this is correct.

I had a strange mark on my copy of Billy Harper that resulted in clicking and Fred sent over a replacement straight away and messaged to say that he had a few issues with Pallas for this title so he is no longer using them. The first issue I have ever had with Sam (after buying every release from the start) and this is how they deal with issues, top-notch stuff and really goes to show that quality can be achieved with effort and decisive action.
Yea--they are one of my favorite labels for a reason. Best customer service I have experienced (and I think I only have to contact them once because everything is usually top notch). I know some people who bought a Sam records record from a shop that had an issue and they contacted Fred to see about the possibility of a replacement. he sent one out right away even though it wasn't purchased directly from him.

i wonder if they are going to keep up the artisan series? I kinda regret not getting that first one they did...

Yea--they are one of my favorite labels for a reason. Best customer service I have experienced (and I think I only have to contact them once because everything is usually top notch). I know some people who bought a Sam records record from a shop that had an issue and they contacted Fred to see about the possibility of a replacement. he sent one out right away even though it wasn't purchased directly from him.

i wonder if they are going to keep up the artisan series? I kinda regret not getting that first one they did...
Intervention Records is the same when it comes to replacements. Shane is absolutely awesome and sent out a replacement disc when mine arrived with a bunch of scratches due to loose vinyl.

Back