Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Yeah, I don't see any hard-to-find exclusives destined to be in the box. It would be awesome for them but the interest would be so high that not having a wider release is basically throwing away money. I picked up a digitally sourced boot of ptah from juno and i'm ok with it. It's not amazing but it's acceptable.

Yeah, I don't see any hard-to-find exclusives destined to be in the box. It would be awesome for them but the interest would be so high that not having a wider release is basically throwing away money. I picked up a digitally sourced boot of ptah from juno and i'm ok with it. It's not amazing but it's acceptable.
Chad from AS was asked about Alice Coltrane and he kinda laughed and said he would never release Ptah or any of her stuff because the quality of the tapes/transfers aren't good. Plus I just don't think he likes it...but I'd have a hard time seeing a really high quality reissue of that one coming out. It's still so sad that Impulse/Universal lost so many important master tapes in that fire.

Chad from AS was asked about Alice Coltrane and he kinda laughed and said he would never release Ptah or any of her stuff because the quality of the tapes/transfers aren't good. Plus I just don't think he likes it...but I'd have a hard time seeing a really high quality reissue of that one coming out. It's still so sad that Impulse/Universal lost so many important master tapes in that fire.

I finally broke down and ordered a boot of Ptah that had pretty decent reviews just to have something to spin. Should be arriving this week or next.
Will happily pick up something official if it ever happens but will be happier having this copy in the meanwhile, I reckon.

How is shipping to the US from Juno? Decent packaging?

I picked up a digitally sourced boot of ptah from juno and i'm ok with it. It's not amazing but it's acceptable.

I missed this in my grogginess earlier. That's the one I have coming.

Can't speak to cost for US, but in Canada it's significantly cheaper for me to order from Juno than anywhere in Canada - which is silly. Packaging for me has 95% of the time has been good plus or better. I had them send one thing in less than stellar packaging once, but it fortunately arrived unscathed! I'm definitely a fan of Juno.

EDIT to add: The packaging on my Lanquidity box set a while back was pretty much bomb proof!

I missed this in my grogginess earlier. That's the one I have coming.

Can't speak to cost for US, but in Canada it's significantly cheaper for me to order from Juno than anywhere in Canada - which is silly. Packaging for me has 95% of the time has been good plus or better. I had them send one thing in less than stellar packaging once, but it fortunately arrived unscathed! I'm definitely a fan of Juno.

EDIT to add: The packaging on my Lanquidity box set a while back was pretty much bomb proof!
Looks like it's $10 to ship to the US. Not too bad.

packaging is fine. nothing terrible but nothing amazing either. nothing's come in bad shape but i've only ordered 1 or 2 at a time so they just use a regular mailer. shipping cost isn't bad -- i want to say it was like 5 or 6 bucks? i haven't had to deal with any returns or exchanges, so i don't know how they are about that.

I know people want Ptah but I will be really shocked if they do that album. From most accounts, tapes don’t exist anymore after the fire and you’d think if someone had access to tapes or even a high res transfer someone would have done a reissue by now. It would be a huge get for them and probably cause the box set to instantly sell out.
Here's a hint. Superior Viaduct are huge Alice fans. They have done every title they could get a transfer for. Ptah The El Daoud is one they did not do.

I think I might’ve gotten the last restock of the Herbie anthology. And I just made an order for the Quincy set because goddamn it, it just looks damned pretty.

those wouldn’t make it into an anthology unless they get pressed on color vinyl. Most of the Coltrane Impulse catalogue is being rereleased as part of the Acoustic Sounds releases.
Most? Not really. Only a handful of the most popular, and most palatable to the general market. The list of ones not included is extensive (and in most cases original master tapes no longer exist).

Anthology generally doesn't do colored vinyl, as it is a premier product.

Waiting for that Impulse Anthology announcement to drop, I got me some store credit burning a hole in my pocket...

I am in the same boat as my membership expires at the end of the month and I have ~$150 in Credits.
I reached out to Storf to see if I he could provide any info, and I got the following non-answer:

"Impulse: it’s happening. This year. I helped curate and produce it with feedback from Impulse team/our on staff Impulse obsessives. Bc we know it’s going to be arguably the most beloved box we do this year/next/ever? We’re making sure to get it done right. There’s no chance y’all will miss that it’s coming, so just hang tight. It’s the box I personally have been most excited for since Stax. Can’t wait till it comes."

My immediate response was, "Fingers crossed that Ptah the El Daoud is one of the picks. And I hope by “making sure to get it done right.”, you mean getting it pressed somewhere other than GZ. If that means it doesn’t come out until Q3 to get it pressed at RTI or Pallas or QRP that’s fine by me." to which I haven't heard back.

"Fingers crossed that Ptah the El Daoud is one of the picks. And I hope by “making sure to get it done right.”, you mean getting it pressed somewhere other than GZ. If that means it doesn’t come out until Q3 to get it pressed at RTI or Pallas or QRP that’s fine by me." to which I haven't heard back.

A legit copy of Ptah would be amazing, even if they couldn't do AAA (because of the masters destroyed in the fire), if a high quality digital source is the closest we get, that's better than nothing. I have a boot and it's OK but I would like a legit copy.

A legit copy of Ptah would be amazing, even if they couldn't do AAA (because of the masters destroyed in the fire), if a high quality digital source is the closest we get, that's better than nothing. I have a boot and it's OK but I would like a legit copy.
This is the biggest white whale for almost every vinyl collector I know.

Maybe if they found some low-gen source that isn't the original, but remastered using Plangent could work.

Back