Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I'm all in for a Willie box, but I really hope it's not just Storf's way to get the few remaining Willie records that he's missing.

Im sure it will be a mix of big releases and some less known (including some missing storf ones). He did pick Shotgun Willie as the track pick, and that wasnt a missing album.

Im sure it will be a mix of big releases and some less known (including some missing storf ones). He did pick Shotgun Willie as the track pick, and that wasnt a missing album.

I almost definitely won't be getting it regardless of the picks, but I'll still be disappointed if it doesn't include Phases and Stages.

Probably would include RHS and Stardust, an early work/1960s title, a modern title like Spirit, and an 80s title like Pancho & Lefty or Always On My Mind.

Would be nice to get Phases and Stages in there, I might be in for that even though I have that great Impex reissue of RHS and there is that impeccable AP 45 of Stardust in print now.

Looks like an Impulse anthology is next. In the anthology gif in the latest email
It was only a matter of time.

Going to be interesting how this one will play out. I wonder if its going to be a mix of classics with a couple of contemporary releases thrown into the mix. Im definitely going to be interested in this but it all depends on their picks if I already have any of them.

Going to be interesting how this one will play out. I wonder if its going to be a mix of classics with a couple of contemporary releases thrown into the mix. Im definitely going to be interested in this but it all depends on their picks if I already have any of them.
also depends on if it's GZ and digital sources or not. My guess is they will have to do some digital sources since a lot of the tapes were destroyed.

Yeah I'm intrigued at which titles they go with, in particular which John Coltrane title they put in it. So many have been reissued (or scheduled to be reissued) lately. Maybe Live at Birdland? I don't think that has been reissued to vinyl yet.

Yeah I'm intrigued at which titles they go with, in particular which John Coltrane title they put in it. So many have been reissued (or scheduled to be reissued) lately. Maybe Live at Birdland? I don't think that has been reissued to vinyl yet.
I'm more curious if they go with albums that don't have master tapes anymore...Chad at AS said they had a lot more on their list of proposed titles for the AS Impulse series but they don't have access to the master tapes so they crossed them off the list.

Also would QRP press this with the AS series already being done there? Seems like competition almost. Hoping RTI presses it at least.

In the AMA he made it sound like a bigger name label, so Impulse! makes the most sense. I know Acoustic Sounds has a bunch of Impulse! records coming in their series, but there are lots still out there.

A cross section of the label that hasn't had recent reissues would be great, something like:

Kai Winding and J.J. Johnson - The Great Kai & J.J. (Because it's Impulse #1)
Benny Carter & His Orchestra - Further Definitions
John Coltrane - Africa/Brass
Charles Mingus - Mingus Plays Piano
Alice Coltrane - Ptah, El Doud
Albert Ayler - In Greenwich Village
Chico Hamilton - The Dealer
Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile (I know we all have it, but they would likely put in a current contemporary artist, and this could use a new vinyl remaster and a nice clean pressing would be great.)

There's lots of other great artists/albums from Impuse! that would be awesome too...Pharoah Sanders, Freddie Hubbard, Yusef Lateef, Max Roach, Diana Krall, et al.

Well, I called these as a cross-section of Impulse! back in June, so I'll stay with these as my guesses.

Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile

Well, I called these as a cross-section of Impulse! back in June, so I'll stay with these as my guesses.

as much as i want it, i would be absolutely shocked if they got Ptah...I really doubt Impulse would leave all that money on the table to put such a desired and needed reissue into a limited VMP box set.

Mingus plays piano is awesome though. And would love some Pharoah Sanders.

Anything Alice Coltrane has been really hot for the past few years so it would be a big win for them to include one of her albums.

I feel like it would benefit from one of Sonny Rollins' releases (On Impulse! is my favourite!) and I have always had a soft spot for Archie Shepp's Four For Trane. There's also Pharoah Sanders and Gil Evans. A big inclusion would be The Blues And The Abstract Truth.

Damn, I don't envy having to cut this one down to a handful.

Anything Alice Coltrane has been really hot for the past few years so it would be a big win for them to include one of her albums.

I feel like it would benefit from one of Sonny Rollins' releases (On Impulse! is my favourite!) and I have always had a soft spot for Archie Shepp's Four For Trane. There's also Pharoah Sanders and Gil Evans. A big inclusion would be The Blues And The Abstract Truth.

Damn, I don't envy having to cut this one down to a handful.

Sonny Rollins - On Impulse! and Oliver Nelson - Blues & The Abstract Truth both just had reissues with the Acoustic Sounds Series. Never say never with VMP, but I can't imagine they'd do those.

Sonny Rollins - On Impulse! and Oliver Nelson - Blues & The Abstract Truth both just had reissues with the Acoustic Sounds Series. Never say never with VMP, but I can't imagine they'd do those.
Ah great point, I forgot about that series! Plus they have Shepp's Attica Blues as Classics so they won't go back to that particular title.

Imagine if they DONT include a Coltrane record :ROFLMAO:

Back