Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Because it's extreme metal. "They'll be happy to get anything, wont be able to tell the difference anyway"

/s
I'm surprised Barry thought the guitars in voodoo should be THIS bright

The saga of finding a flat Head Hunters has come to an end: after four bowls, I sent two to @kvetcha for flattening (the second was for him to keep as a tip) and today I can happily report I now have one awesome sounding flat Head Hunters sitting on my turntable.

It took an extra month and a half, but at last my Herbie Anthology is now complete.
I’m happy it made it back safely! It was basically the dream scenario as far as Vinyl Flat fixes go. :)

I’m happy it made it back safely! It was basically the dream scenario as far as Vinyl Flat fixes go. :)

Yeah, as annoying as it was that it had to come to this, I'm glad it worked out in the end. Plus, you got yourself a kickass sounding (and now presumably flat) copy of Head Hunters for yourself!

And I still have two more warped copies taking up space. 😝

Yeah, as annoying as it was that it had to come to this, I'm glad it worked out in the end. Plus, you got yourself a kickass sounding (and now presumably flat) copy of Head Hunters for yourself!

And I still have two more warped copies taking up space. 😝
I am sure you could throw them up on the PIF thread and they’d be snatched up fast then you could claim a couple LPs to replace em.

Have to echo others’ opinions on the Metal Blade set. Overall I am disappointed. The mastering varies from bad to alright. I was initially fine with it, but after listening to everything I just feel sort of ripped off. It doesn’t seem the same level of care and attention was put into the set compared to the others I’ve picked up (Tribe and Herbie).

I enjoyed the music a lot. I still think the albums they picked are great (except for Fates Warning, that one is a little tough to get into for me). But it’s a bummer the level of quality dropped significantly but the price point remained the same.

Have to echo others’ opinions on the Metal Blade set. Overall I am disappointed. The mastering varies from bad to alright. I was initially fine with it, but after listening to everything I just feel sort of ripped off. It doesn’t seem the same level of care and attention was put into the set compared to the others I’ve picked up (Tribe and Herbie).

I enjoyed the music a lot. I still think the albums they picked are great (except for Fates Warning, that one is a little tough to get into for me). But it’s a bummer the level of quality dropped significantly but the price point remained the same.
It really really feels like VMP outsourced the actual production of the records to Metal Blade and just stuck them in their box. It's very dissapointing, especially givin the main selling point for me was the high production value of past sets.

It really really feels like VMP outsourced the actual production of the records to Metal Blade and just stuck them in their box. It's very dissapointing, especially givin the main selling point for me was the high production value of past sets.
But isn't that what they generally do except for their rotms?

But isn't that what they generally do except for their rotms?
I would assume they had someone actually working on the last 7 anthologies given the high production value. At the very least they started that way- the Blue Note sleeves are classic vmp- lazy mistakes and all.

This one just feels so different from all the others

Reactions: Jan
I would assume they had someone actually working on the last 7 anthologies given the high production value. At the very least they started that way- the Blue Note sleeves are classic vmp- lazy mistakes and all.

This one just feels so different from all the others
For the last ones I am frankly not sure if the top quality of the lps comes from vmp or from working with (mostly jazz) labels that price record fidelity higher themselves. Wasn't the ghostly international release also basically coloured versions of records the label put outin parallel

For the last ones I am frankly not sure if the top quality of the lps comes from vmp or from working with (mostly jazz) labels that price record fidelity higher themselves. Wasn't the ghostly international release also basically coloured versions of records the label put outin parallel
I was graduating college at that time and wasn't paying attention to vmp- but I think you're right. Pretty lazy from vmp but I don't know what else to expect at this point...guess the high quality of the last couple ones combined with my love of Metal Blade's discography got me too excited.

VMP Anthology-"We make the box"

Reactions: Jan
I’ve been slowly working my way through the Herbie box set… impressed with the overall packaging - solid box and sleeves, everything on the turntable plays flat (enough), and after going through the RCM plays clean as well.
The only issue I’ve had was with side one of The Piano. The sibilance made it mostly unlistenable. Uploaded a video to CS and they had a replacement on the way in less than 24 hours.

On the metal blade front, I’m interested in picking this up, but the reviews so far are telling me to put my $$$ elsewhere

I’ve been slowly working my way through the Herbie box set… impressed with the overall packaging - solid box and sleeves, everything on the turntable plays flat (enough), and after going through the RCM plays clean as well.
The only issue I’ve had was with side one of The Piano. The sibilance made it mostly unlistenable. Uploaded a video to CS and they had a replacement on the way in less than 24 hours.

On the metal blade front, I’m interested in picking this up, but the reviews so far are telling me to put my $$$ elsewhere
I believe @marshall had the same issue with sibilance on The Piano. Looks like it might be a common issue, although, in all honesty, it wasn't something that stood out to me when I last played it. I will dig it out again over the weekend and pay extra close attention.

Back