Vinyl Me Please Anthology

So:

10. Folk-centered
11. Philadelphia International Records
12. Jazz anniversary

Are there any other jazz labels other than Impulse celebrating an anniversary this year?

In the AMA he made it sound like a bigger name label, so Impulse! makes the most sense. I know Acoustic Sounds has a bunch of Impulse! records coming in their series, but there are lots still out there.

A cross section of the label that hasn't had recent reissues would be great, something like:

Kai Winding and J.J. Johnson - The Great Kai & J.J. (Because it's Impulse #1)
Benny Carter & His Orchestra - Further Definitions
John Coltrane - Africa/Brass
Charles Mingus - Mingus Plays Piano
Alice Coltrane - Ptah, El Doud
Albert Ayler - In Greenwich Village
Chico Hamilton - The Dealer
Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile (I know we all have it, but they would likely put in a current contemporary artist, and this could use a new vinyl remaster and a nice clean pressing would be great.)

There's lots of other great artists/albums from Impuse! that would be awesome too...Pharoah Sanders, Freddie Hubbard, Yusef Lateef, Max Roach, Diana Krall, et al.

In the AMA he made it sound like a bigger name label, so Impulse! makes the most sense. I know Acoustic Sounds has a bunch of Impulse! records coming in their series, but there are lots still out there.

A cross section of the label that hasn't had recent reissues would be great, something like:

Sons of Kemet - Your Queen is a Reptile (I know we all have it, but they would likely put in a current contemporary artist, and this could use a new vinyl remaster and a nice clean pressing would be great.)

There's lots of other great artists/albums from Impuse! that would be awesome too...Pharoah Sanders, Freddie Hubbard, Yusef Lateef, Max Roach, Diana Krall, et al.

You're hired!

which kind of folk are we talking... i have a weird hunch that 10 might be a Smithsonian folkways one or something

I'd very much love to see these ones in the mix too if this manifests:

Sam Rivers - Crystals
Albert Ayler - Music Is The Healing Force Of The Universe
Mel Brown - Chicken Fat

Holy shit king diamond is the brightest one yet.. the guitars feel like they're shouting at me.. and it sucks because this is a great album

Small warp but no problem

Black dahlia murder has a very notable warp.. I'm pretty sure this is a bad one because it barely touched the player.. it also sounds easily the best of the LPs here.. quiet and has a punchy bass

This episode is interesting because the 2 albums are so different, one is a campy horror story with tons of thrash and screaming at the top of your lungs. The other is a no fucks given, no concept, blunt metal album from of dirty names and heavy growls.. probably my favourite episode as I loved both episodes and it's an interesting concept

I have 4 Herbie Hancock replacements inbound right now lol. 50% of the box needed replacements, GG GZ

It's funny because I have plenty of non VMP GZ pressings that are flawless, it's just the VMP ones that are so problematic.

I have 4 Herbie Hancock replacements inbound right now lol. 50% of the box needed replacements, GG GZ
Yeah, the same for me although at least three out of four replacements were good. As for the fourth... well, I'm hoping to have that issue resolved in the next day or so...

So no hip hop anthology? For some reason I thought they hinted at one, I guess not? Then again they did hint they were going to be doing an anthology a month and that never happened!

"why did we do the digital matters"

"They were just easier to get"

So:

10. Folk-centered
11. Philadelphia International Records
12. Jazz anniversary

Are there any other jazz labels other than Impulse celebrating an anniversary this year?

Are they expecting to do another 3 this year?

The saga of finding a flat Head Hunters has come to an end: after four bowls, I sent two to @kvetcha for flattening (the second was for him to keep as a tip) and today I can happily report I now have one awesome sounding flat Head Hunters sitting on my turntable.

It took an extra month and a half, but at last my Herbie Anthology is now complete.

So the one record that arrived with both jacket and LP in good condition was Cannibal Corpse. so I went ahead and gave that a wash and a spin. And good god is the mastering bright. Kind of dissapointing tbh, I want CC to feel like im getting punched in the gut with sound, but instead it just gives me a minor headache.

In the future I don't think im going to buy one of these, no matter how cool is seems, without it releasing and getting the mastering/pressing info public first. I was really hoping for good pressings of these records, like anthologies past, but it seems they just made the box and Metal Blade supplied the records. Mastering sucks, jackets are super thin, I just wish someone at VMP put some effort into this. Pauly always talks about how he wants more metal promoted in VMP, but then they put something like this out with minimal effort and f-up the execution.

So the one record that arrived with both jacket and LP in good condition was Cannibal Corpse. so I went ahead and gave that a wash and a spin. And good god is the mastering bright. Kind of dissapointing tbh, I want CC to feel like im getting punched in the gut with sound, but instead it just gives me a minor headache.

In the future I don't think im going to buy one of these, no matter how cool is seems, without it releasing and getting the mastering/pressing info public first. I was really hoping for good pressings of these records, like anthologies past, but it seems they just made the box and Metal Blade supplied the records. Mastering sucks, jackets are super thin, I just wish someone at VMP put some effort into this. Pauly always talks about how he wants more metal promoted in VMP, but then they put something like this out with minimal effort and f-up the execution.
How was 250/300 dollars leading us to the cheapened downgraded box set

You can get the and justice for all deluxe set (comes with 6LPs including a picture disc, a booklet, 12 CDs and 4 DVDs) 50 bucks less.. and mastered by Chris bellman and pressed at pallas.. does color really cost THAT much

They used a digital master just because it was the easiest even though they went through so much work for more "respectable music".. and it made king diamond and cannibal corpse way too bright.. black dahlia murder sounds pretty great though and GWAR works well.. I wonder if the alchemy mastering actually happened since these just seem like colored vinyl of the last repress

Back