Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I feel like I keep harping on this, and I am done complaining about a box set I would never buy. But my final thoughts are some of the colors look nice, but some are awful. Purple for Workingman's? How can you look at the cover or listen to the music and think Purple? Also, that clear coke bottle for wake of the flood? One of the most beautiful covers in the band's discography and they give it that boring and played out coloring. Finally, is Storf no longer on twitter, I was looking at the comments and his comment was showing up as no longer available. Dude was hyping this up last night
Plus Workingman's is already getting numerous other color pressings for the 50th. Dead.net did a 2,000 limited one last week and so did Barnes and Noble.

The other problem with the "extras" is that nothing more about the Dead needs to be said or explored. You've already got countless books, a six-part Amazon documentary series, and numerous podcasts - one of which walks through some of the most famous shows one by one. There's not a whole lot out there that hasn't been explored yet, so not sure they would be worth it at all.
I can't believe any podcast series they put together could have more information than watching Long Strange Trip, listening to three random episodes of Tales From the Golden Road, listening to a Big Steve hour or two, following Dave Lemiuex on Twitter and reading the 50th anniversary Dead Base.

Someone would get way more out of that than listening to Storf fumble over adjectives to describe a Pigpen rap...

I can't believe any podcast series they put together could have more information than watching Long Strange Trip, listening to three random episodes of Tales From the Golden Road, listening to a Big Steve hour or two, following Dave Lemiuex on Twitter and reading the 50th anniversary Dead Base.

Someone would get way more out of that than listening to Storf fumble over adjectives to describe a Pigpen rap...
YES

Big Steve Hour is one of the joys of being a Dead fan

This selection was my worst nightmare in terms of purchasing - I want a nice copy of E'72 and Without A Net, but I already own AB, WD, Wake of the Flood, and Live Dead on vinyl. And $450 is an absolute rip-off.

This is the exact same situation that I am in. I've got enough Dead on vinyl to last me until I can pick up a reissue of Europe '72 outside of this box.

Were some of Jerry's ashes sprinkled into the wax or something? Goodness gracious the sticker shock is real.

Budget Grateful Dead Anthology suggestion:

1) Buy Workingman's Dead and American Beauty on Vinyl. ($50 for Rhino/Chris Bellman/RTI versions)
2) Stream the Dick's Picks collection.
3) Listen to the 36 From the Vault Podcast where they breakdown every Dick's Picks. (I think they're on Ep. 9)
4) Read Phil Lesh's book, Searching for the Sound
5) Watch Long Strange Trip

H

hell man, even Bob has his own doc on Netflix. Also those 36ftv podcasts are pretty entertaining

Comment from my friend who knows more about the Dead than I and has an opinion about everything. Found it humorous

“Deadheads may buy. Deadhead reissue vinyl collectors is almost certainly a niche audience. Most DHs probably happy to listen to their old scratchy vinyl. Or, more to the point, throw on a homemade tape of the totally bitchin' September '77 show in Reno they traded with that guy back in '94...”

I mean for sure there are things we may not know through stories and whatnot, but anything related to the general "Story of the Grateful Dead" is well documented at this point.
Yeah, that's probably true about the "story" of them, which I guess is what the anthology will try to tell. I mean more like analysis and stuff like Jesse Jarnow writes about in his nightly twitter threads or at Aquarium Drunkard.

Back