Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I believe Ghostly was also all easily available in non-color variants. BN might be the only one not easily available for cheaper. Zamrock too has some not repressed but supposedly most will be repressed in the next year or so by Now-Again.

I think the Ghostly albums were announced on black wax like 2 weeks after the box sold.

The Rhino releases, as most of their stuff, sounds good.

Problem is for $450, you can do the following:

WD MoFi (50)
AB MoFi (50)
Wake MoFi (50)
Rhino Live Dead (20)
RTI E 72 (60)
Warfield '80 (40) (Same live shows as Reckoning)

Roughly $270.

Have $180 left over to either buy a full show or round out your vinyl collection

And the MoFis sound-wise are the definitive editions
Without A Net is $120 or so on top of that. Still a rip off price though.

I only did the BN box, so the idea of getting good reissues of hard to find/expensive records was what sold me. I think the Dead.net crowd will laugh and selection at the price of this release. So lets see how long it lasts
Yep I did BN and Zamrock since it likely won’t be much more expensive than reissues from Now-Again and most were albums I have wanted to buy anyway. I stayed away from the others and actually really like both boxes. I’m out for this one too.

Without A Net is $120 or so on top of that. Still a rip off price though.
If someone was doing this from scratch, I wouldn't necessarily point them to Without A Net. I like the Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It or the Wake Up To Find Out (3/29/90) both better from that era for roughly the same money. I would recommend getting a full show with the $180 left over in my fantasy budget, perhaps with Anthem of the Sun for 20 bucks or so as well.

If someone was doing this from scratch, I wouldn't necessarily point them to Without A Net. I like the Spring 1990: So Glad You Made It or the Wake Up To Find Out (3/29/90) both better from that era for roughly the same money. I would recommend getting a full show with the $180 left over in my fantasy budget, perhaps with Anthem of the Sun for 20 bucks or so as well.
Agreed, have both, love both. Without a Net is really for the completist factor.

Do the Grateful Dead reissues normally come out on coloured vinyl? Are the chances some of these (not yet reissued) get standard black reissues in the near future? I only ask because the last anthology that was coloured vinyl came out in black like a week after the drop...

Do the Grateful Dead reissues normally come out on coloured vinyl? Are the chances some of these (not yet reissued) get standard black reissues in the near future? I only ask because the last anthology that was coloured vinyl came out in black like a week after the drop...
Some are issued on coloured vinyl, I think (I have an orange Anthem of the Sun from Barnes and Noble), but I think there's a good chance the ones here that don't already have Grundman-mastered, RTI-pressed reissues get them soon.

I feel like I keep harping on this, and I am done complaining about a box set I would never buy. But my final thoughts are some of the colors look nice, but some are awful. Purple for Workingman's? How can you look at the cover or listen to the music and think Purple? Also, that clear coke bottle for wake of the flood? One of the most beautiful covers in the band's discography and they give it that boring and played out coloring. Finally, is Storf no longer on twitter, I was looking at the comments and his comment was showing up as no longer available. Dude was hyping this up last night

You hate Phish, so you never got into "Jam bands?" I like Phish and the Dead, so I never got into the idea of "jam bands."

Phish and The Dead are very different bands. Likewise, Phish and other "jam bands" are very different from each other, as well. I never see people say that they never listened to Talking Heads, because they didn't like DEVO. These are individual groups and entities. I just don't get why they are always associated with each other or there's a need to mention one in association with why someone does or doesn't like the other. It would actually make more sense if I heard someone say they didn't like the Dead, so they never got into Phish, than the reverse.

Some people do like jam bands, just like some people focus all their attention on any supposed genre, because they can't really think outside the parameters, but it' ridiculous to me. To me, it's like believing that you have to like Silver Chair, because you listen to Nirvana. Nirvana wasn't a "grunge" band, they were a band that had some success and laid a blueprint that a lot of people tried to imitate, while their actual peers in the scene were all lumped together, but had very different sounds from one another. The Dead are The Dead. They aren't a "jam band," but they are THE jam band. Phish is their own thing, but were definitely influenced by the Dead and the idea of jamming out tracks in a similar way. From there, you're going to get a lot of people forming groups and deciding to lead with a lot of superficial shit, before the music. They are "jam bands" before they are bands at all. That's not every one, but there is a TON of those.

The Dead formed into what they formed into organically. Phish had years to morph into what they did, before anyone was really paying attention. These days, there are a ton of kids that believe they need to have 2 sets of music and fans willing to follow them, right out the gate, when they don't really have the material, experience, or skill sets to pull that shit off at all in any respectable way. I can't really entertain most of it at all.

But, if you're going to "get into" the Dead, then it would help to throw preconceptions and associations out the window, or you're entering into it with an unnecessary obstacle. My wife and I were even discussing it recently how funny it is that she "hated" the Dead, when I met her. She can't even tell me or remember what she thought they sounded like, before she realized what they actually do sound like. I tricked her with Shady Grove. She didn't know what she was listening to, so she liked it. It's better to just listen to it.

Also, Phish is great. Y'all are haters. "I knew a guy who I hated that loved pizza. I just can't eat the stuff." Just like the Grateful Dead, Phish has a lot of different sounds and eras. Try a slice without pepperoni. I don't like the shit with pineapple on it myself, so I just don't eat it. As for Phish versus the Dead, you're talking NY thin crust versus deep dish. Not everyone likes both. I do.

Ok, That was alot...

I like a pretty damn diverse set of music and would never write off a whole genre so please dont assume that based on one sentence. (As a big Pop and Country fan I get how frustrating it is when people write off a whole genre based on what they think they know)

Ill clarify what I was saying
When I was younger I worked at a music store with alot of Phish heads (who also liked the Dead) and would play them all the time, mainly live sets. I could never get into Phish’s style at all. And I heard alot of it. I definitely liked more of what I heard of the dead but after a couple years of listening to nonstop live phish shows at work, Jam bands were never something I actively sought to get into.

I understand Phish and the Dead are very different bands but lets not pretend they arent associated with each other quite often (Whether thats fair or not) and share a good amount of fans. Even to this day I know several phish head friends and coworkers who barely listen to anything outside of Phish and the Dead (which also admittedly is something that turned me off. But thats far from a unique thing to Phish- and Dead-heads)

I admitted I should probably finally listen to more Dead and because I like the Anthologies this seems like a good place to do it. No preconceived notions that they are like phish apart from the “jamming” part and fan bases to an extent, just trying to explain how Im in my mid-30s and a big music fan but have never really dove into the Grateful Dead.

Hell yeah they have! Can't wait for tomorrow :cool:
my smallish group of concert friends and I started watching together last week. I think this is our best bet at live music this year. Last week was great, too. I just cannot get into the live "Kitchen" shows people have been putting on. Its like storytellers with no audience or "life". Cannot really explain it.

The other problem with the "extras" is that nothing more about the Dead needs to be said or explored. You've already got countless books, a six-part Amazon documentary series, and numerous podcasts - one of which walks through some of the most famous shows one by one. There's not a whole lot out there that hasn't been explored yet, so not sure they would be worth it at all.

Back