Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Still sticking with the incredibly annoying gimmick of not telling you what's in the box I see. Cool.

Still sticking with the incredibly annoying gimmick of not telling you what's in the box I see. Cool.

All the Witch albums have been reissued. same with Amanaz. The Ngozi family has definitely seen reissues of most of their stuff but I don't think anyone has touched albums for the others yet.

This sounds pretty cool, but I probably will skip it. Expensive year already so unless this was a instabuy for me I was planning on holding off.

All the Witch albums have been reissued. same with Amanaz. The Ngozi family has definitely seen reissues of most of their stuff but I don't think anyone has touched albums for the others yet.

That's interesting because the anthology site makes it sound like they're all being reissued for the first time.

I don't know anything about this scene and am interested in checking it out, but I still have a really hard time buying without knowing exactly what's in there.

Looks like the s/t Witch that says "Including Janet" on the front hadn't been reissued. Bad Character, 99% Confusion and Happy Trip same for Ngozi Family. 45,000 Volts reissue is hard to find apparently.

Got any recommendations for albums in that scene to check out?

I don't know anything about this scene and am interested in checking it out, but I still have a really hard time buying without knowing exactly what's in there.

Looks like the s/t Witch that says "Including Janet" on the front hadn't been reissued. Bad Character, 99% Confusion and Happy Trip same for Ngozi Family. 45,000 Volts reissue is hard to find apparently.

Got any recommendations for albums in that scene to check out?

It's such a wide range of sounds that sorta gets included in Zamrock.. so it really depends on your taste. Some of it is more funk-rock, some is more folk-rock, some is almost punk like.. so it's really up to your tastes..

I really like the Salty Dog album. It's on the heavier side of things and Moss (Jason Connoy, the guy who discovered Obie Trice and has done tonnes of shit for the Zamrock scene) reissued it on his label Strawberry Rain a few years ago (also highly recommend everything on that label).

The Rikki Ililonga & Musi O-Tunya comp NA did years ago covers a lot of the different sounds..

Basically, most of the albums.. you'll get a wide range of stuff. Some artists lean heavier into certain sounds and styles than others and you just sorta migrate to the stuff that works for you.. or thats how I approach it.

This is going to be tough for me to pass on! I'm just hoping that the price isn't too crazy but who am I kidding?

I bet you'll see copies in Hamilton and Toronto. Moss does record shows here and he always has copies of his stuff. There's no way they didn't let him keep copies.

Just follow the chart here. Africa by Amanaz is probably the most well-known and popular. Shadoks reissued a bunch of these in the late 2000s, which kind of started the zamrock revival.

I don't know.. I'm by no means an expert but Amanaz is not a great starting point or wasn't for me... and I hadn't heard it until I had heard a bunch more. Deep down in that list is where you find the gems like Keith Mlevhu at 15??? Like that's crazy.

Also Shadoks was doing a bunch of bootleggy stuff. It was Jason Connoy who finally brought some legitimacy to a lot of those African reissues.

I bet you'll see copies in Hamilton and Toronto. Moss does record shows here and he always has copies of his stuff. There's no way they didn't let him keep copies.

I actually copped a few records that are on the Strawberry Rain label at my local a few weeks back, including the Salty Dog and Black Foot records, and asked the guy at the shop of they had anything else from the label, all they had were CDs but he did say the guy drops stuff off himself so if I wanted anything I could get them to ask so there is hope...

I actually copped a few records that are on the Strawberry Rain label at my local a few weeks back, including the Salty Dog and Black Foot records, and asked the guy at the shop of they had anything else from the label, all they had were CDs but he did say the guy drops stuff off himself so if I wanted anything I could get them to ask so there is hope...

Yeah not sure where Jason lives anymore but he used to be just outside Toronto.. I wanna say like Pickering maybe? So who knows.. I know he handles most of the stuff but highlights from their catalog for me:

AKA - Indonesian symphonic prog rock.. funniest thing is me and Jason were bidding each other up on eBay for these records 20 years ago

All the Zamrock/African stuff. It's all killer... but especially the Salty Dog, Keith Mlevhu and the other one.. name is escaping me at the moment.. Harry Mwale maybe? Or somethng like that?

The Jokers - garage rock from pre-revolution Iran.. yes please.

Trying to think of other highlights w/o looking at the discogs.

Yeah not sure where Jason lives anymore but he used to be just outside Toronto.. I wanna say like Pickering maybe? So who knows.. I know he handles most of the stuff but highlights from their catalog for me:

AKA - Indonesian symphonic prog rock.. funniest thing is me and Jason were bidding each other up on eBay for these records 20 years ago

All the Zamrock/African stuff. It's all killer... but especially the Salty Dog, Keith Mlevhu and the other one.. name is escaping me at the moment.. Harry Mwale maybe? Or somethng like that?

The Jokers - garage rock from pre-revolution Iran.. yes please.

Trying to think of other highlights w/o looking at the discogs.

And since I'm plugging Moss.. check out the first single from Obie Trice produced by him before Eminem signed him

I probably shouldn't be in for this anthology, but just got my tax return and some leftover from our home mortgage escrow so I leaning yes. Have loved most of the Now Again that VMP has done.

I'm genuinely concerned about the price now. Any guesses as to what the range could be? Like.. I have a sneaking suspicion they're going to put in some super rare reissue and jack up the overall price.

I'm genuinely concerned about the price now. Any guesses as to what the range could be? Like.. I have a sneaking suspicion they're going to put in some super rare reissue and jack up the overall price.

My hope is that because it's not as well known as Blue Note, Motown or Stax that it'll be a little less, maybe closer to the price of Ghostly? I'm already talking myself into it but the price can still be a deal breaker!

I don't know.. I'm by no means an expert but Amanaz is not a great starting point or wasn't for me... and I hadn't heard it until I had heard a bunch more. Deep down in that list is where you find the gems like Keith Mlevhu at 15??? Like that's crazy.

Also Shadoks was doing a bunch of bootleggy stuff. It was Jason Connoy who finally brought some legitimacy to a lot of those African reissues.

I am not an expert either and could totally be wrong, but bootleggy/dodgy or not, they kicked off the resurgence to a larger audience as far as I remember. Not many people knew about this stuff before ~2006 - some African stuff was originally just being shared around on different blogs, e.g. Sea Never Dry , Awesome Tapes From Africa , etc.

Back