Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I am not an expert either and could totally be wrong, but bootleggy/dodgy or not, they kicked off the resurgence to a larger audience as far as I remember. Not many people knew about this stuff before ~2006 - some African stuff was originally just being shared around on different blogs, e.g. Sea Never Dry , Awesome Tapes From Africa , etc.

I mean.. it really depends on how you want to gauge it.. like Jason and I were definitely talking African records in the early 2000s.. but it wasn't really blog material (nor were there really blogs to the extent that there was later on) at that point.

The major difference I see is Moss actually went to Africa and tracked down the owners and what not and legitimately got these authorized, including retroactively making some of those bootleg Shadoks records legitimate. There was a lot of shady shit going on with Euro dealers buying up African records back then and then selling them for a fortune as noted in that famed Soul Strut conversation between Kon & Amir and that one dude who's name is escaping me but runs THE blog for African music.

My hope is that because it's not as well known as Blue Note, Motown or Stax that it'll be a little less, maybe closer to the price of Ghostly? I'm already talking myself into it but the price can still be a deal breaker!

The other question is how limited this is & for how long - cheaper versions of the the individual Ghostly records were available almost immediately.

The other question is how limited this is & for how long - cheaper versions of the the individual Ghostly records were available almost immediately.

Fair point. It's a little tricky being in Canada where most Now Again records aren't exactly cheap so hopefully I'll have a little time to crunch some numbers and see if it's worth it or not. I'm not sure if this is going to sell out or not it's really hard to gauge interest from VMP members when it comes to this genre of music.

Hmm. This is one I'm just not sure on. I'll be out of town on the 16th and won't really have a way to purchase this. If it's still around when I return on the 19th, I'll consider it more strongly. This is one I think I can skip and not be upset. I'm not sure how often I'll pull it off the shelf and relisten. Similar to Ghostly or Motown. Stax and Blue Note, I don't have that issue with. I was just listening to the Blue Note one this week.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but it really blows me away, the lack of excitement for this. Like y'all got hyped for a fucking Motown boxset or a Blue Note boxset.. both of whom have pressed everything to death (yes, I know there are exceptions)... and you finally have a chance to own some crazy shit at probably a decent price and it seems like the general attitude is - meh.. we'll see. Just blows me away.. 98% of the reason I got into records was so I could find shit like this.. not more generic soul / jazz / whatever... (no, not knocking Motown or Blue Note but come the fuck on)

This one will most likely get me back in, though still a bad taste in my mouth from the BN AMP. Really comes down to price and the releases. I am not big on comps and if more than 1 record is a comp I might bow out.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but it really blows me away, the lack of excitement for this. Like y'all got hyped for a fucking Motown boxset or a Blue Note boxset.. both of whom have pressed everything to death (yes, I know there are exceptions)... and you finally have a chance to own some crazy shit at probably a decent price and it seems like the general attitude is - meh.. we'll see. Just blows me away.. 98% of the reason I got into records was so I could find shit like this.. not more generic soul / jazz / whatever... (no, not knocking Motown or Blue Note but come the fuck on)

I see as many people as excited as not. Different strokes for different folks.

To be honest, I would have been more excited about this a year or two ago. Hard to get amped on many VMP things lately. I’ll wait to see what the price is and what albums are included.

I'm genuinely concerned about the price now. Any guesses as to what the range could be? Like.. I have a sneaking suspicion they're going to put in some super rare reissue and jack up the overall price.

I would say probably the same as the Stax one, as they are both 8 records.

So $280 USD? (-$30 w/ the discount code; +$30 for International shipping).

Ahh but you're missing the point, those labels are so large and so mainstream that it gets overwhelming and someone needs to pay $300 to point them in the right direction and include podcasts so they can truly 'get it'. Because as you know, going to YouTube or just being bored and using Google to search through the blue note, stax, or motown collection is pretty difficult.

I find this anthology pretty unique and am certainly interested in it but would like to know how 'exclusive' it really is. If I can find these records on now again at a later time is rather just go through them, either way, major props to VMP for highlighting this!

Ahh but you're missing the point, those labels are so large and so mainstream that it gets overwhelming and someone needs to pay $300 to point them in the right direction and include podcasts so they can truly 'get it'. Because as you know, going to YouTube or just being bored and using Google to search through the blue note, stax, or motown collection is pretty difficult.
I don’t think that’s an entirely fair statement...the Blue Note box was cheaper than buying older presses of those albums and one has never been available on vinyl...agree with the other parts though which is why I ended up only getting the BN one so far.

Are you really surprised? It's a small genre that not a ton of people are super familiar with... and it's VMP, so this is going to cost $250+.

I'm going to listen to some stuff over the next few days and if it grabs me, I might buy. But I doubt I'm in for this one unless the price is right (it won't be).

I don’t think that’s an entirely fair statement...the Blue Note box was cheaper than buying older presses of those albums and one has never been available on vinyl...agree with the other parts though which is why I ended up only getting the BN one so far.
Good to know about one never being on vinyl did not know that tidbit. It was a pretty harsh statement so it's good to know some things I may have overlooked

Good to know about one never being on vinyl did not know that tidbit. It was a pretty harsh statement so it's good to know some things I may have overlooked
Yea--The Ambrose Akinmusire album (which is FANTASTIC) has never been on vinyl. And I mostly bought the box set for Schizophrenia which I had been looking for for years for a good copy at a decent price and had never been able to find it. And despite the rollout flubs, I do quite enjoy the actual records and still think it was a pretty good deal for the price I paid. The other few boxes haven't intrigued me much for the reasoning you said...

And now I know that it's likely that if this doesn't sell out and I want it later, I can likely get it from Acoustic Sounds in the future like I could with the Stax box.

Listened to this great podcast as an introduction to zamrock

Back