Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Yea--The Ambrose Akinmusire album (which is FANTASTIC) has never been on vinyl. And I mostly bought the box set for Schizophrenia which I had been looking for for years for a good copy at a decent price and had never been able to find it. And despite the rollout flubs, I do quite enjoy the actual records and still think it was a pretty good deal for the price I paid. The other few boxes haven't intrigued me much for the reasoning you said...

And now I know that it's likely that if this doesn't sell out and I want it later, I can likely get it from Acoustic Sounds in the future like I could with the Stax box.

And honestly, I think I was a lot harsher on my Blue Note assesment than I necessarily should have been and really should have just inserted Stax instead. I think my overall point is - you have this audience's attention.. why not introduce them to something other than the biggest jazz label in the world? or two of the biggest soul/r&b labels of all time?

Much love to you all cause I thought for sure I might be kicking a hornet's nest with that one.

And honestly, I think I was a lot harsher on my Blue Note assesment than I necessarily should have been and really should have just inserted Stax instead. I think my overall point is - you have this audience's attention.. why not introduce them to something other than the biggest jazz label in the world? or two of the biggest soul/r&b labels of all time?

Much love to you all cause I thought for sure I might be kicking a hornet's nest with that one.
I think it’s gonna come down to price. I personally love Zam Rock from what I have heard of it (I’m no expert) but don’t know enough about it to drop $250+. And in theory this would be perfect for me—get to learn about a genre I like but never fully dove into, but I don’t entirely trust VMP to be the ones to teach me about it. The “educational” aspect of BN was laughable. It was mostly Don Was telling stories I had heard him tell on other podcasts. I didn’t follow any of the other anthologies to hear about if people liked the bonus content.

The one thing I DO trust VMP to deliver on is good pressings of the albums. Will be curious to look and see which albums we might be getting in it and the price along with that will influence if I decide to go for it or not. If this was under $200 I think it would be a slam dunk like you said. I just don’t see that happening.

I think it’s gonna come down to price. I personally love Zam Rock from what I have heard of it (I’m no expert) but don’t know enough about it to drop $250+. And in theory this would be perfect for me—get to learn about a genre I like but never fully dove into, but I don’t entirely trust VMP to be the ones to teach me about it. The “educational” aspect of BN was laughable. It was mostly Don Was telling stories I had heard him tell on other podcasts. I didn’t follow any of the other anthologies to hear about if people liked the bonus content.

The one thing I DO trust VMP to deliver on is good pressings of the albums. Will be curious to look and see which albums we might be getting in it and the price along with that will influence if I decide to go for it or not. If this was under $200 I think it would be a slam dunk like you said. I just don’t see that happening.
That's how I feel - if this is $225 or less after the discount, I probably would be in. If it's north of that, I cannot justify the price. The Motwon/Stax anthologies were too pricey imho and I hope the more obscure nature of this would cause this price to be more reasonable. But I don't see it happening because the pricing on these things has been just nuts.

I mean what do you expect from a guy who curates records based off what cd's his mom bought him in Best Buy in the early aughts? If you really wanted an education about anything, I'd just stay away from VMP in general.

Having said that, having both Egon and Moss involved (and to what degree, who knows).. leads me to believe if they control the bonus content, we'll get some great stuff. If it's Storf doing it? Yeah, nothing.

I mean what do you expect from a guy who curates records based off what cd's his mom bought him in Best Buy in the early aughts? If you really wanted an education about anything, I'd just stay away from VMP in general.

Having said that, having both Egon and Moss involved (and to what degree, who knows).. leads me to believe if they control the bonus content, we'll get some great stuff. If it's Storf doing it? Yeah, nothing.
100% agree with ya. And I never bought the BN one for the educational aspect but know many who did and left sorely disappointed.

If this was under $200 I think it would be a slam dunk like you said. I just don’t see that happening.

Yeah I have a feeling it'll be closer to $300. This is Now-Again we're talking about, their presses aren't exactly cheap to begin with...they've all got the "we went crate digging and took a selfie with this obscure artist so you don't have to" tax added on

This really resonates with me. I'm thinking 'almost' the same for most of the VMP sets I get. I generally don't like "box" sets and would rather have a set of releases like volumes without the "box" piece for easier access. I've found from VMP that I really love MOST LPs

EX - Blue Note- everything but the last LP
Motown - The first three/four
Stax - everything but (Johnny Taylor, William Bell, Johnny Taylor)

But not the others as "keepers". Sure, they have their moments, but are the going to last in the long run, no. Although to be fair, I'm a collector, and Impulsive. So I'll keep them for a bit, but am already thinking about what to sell vs keep. I assume there are very few people who LOVE everything on these sets, right??? Most have a sweet spot. Tell me I'm wrong? ;)
Surprised you didn't like the Johnny Taylor and Ambrose records. The Johnny Taylor is top 2 in the Stax box for me, and Ambrose is probably top 3 for Blue Note. Agreed on the William Bell. Its fine but I won't be spinning it much.

I don't think I will be partaking in any more anthology boxes unless they hit it right down my alley and announce what will be in it beforehand. I don't regret either purchase but I think I would have regretted the Motown one.

A list of all the titles included in the Anthology. Some nice selections in there for sure but we'll see what the price tag is.

For those that don't want to click:

WITCH's Introduction (Original Private Press Version)

5 Revolutions's Free Man

Amanaz's Africa

Ricky Banda's Niwanji Walwa

Ngozi Family's 45,000 Volts

Oscillations' I Can See It Coming

Fireballs' Unreleased

=Cross Bones' Wise Man

A list of all the titles included in the Anthology. Some nice selections in there for sure but we'll see what the price tag is.

For those that don't want to click:

WITCH's Introduction (Original Private Press Version)

5 Revolutions's Free Man

Amanaz's Africa

Ricky Banda's Niwanji Walwa

Ngozi Family's 45,000 Volts

Oscillations' I Can See It Coming

Fireballs' Unreleased

=Cross Bones' Wise Man
Nice! Good looking out. I’ll check these out today. Is VMP still trying to do the mystery box thing? Or are they doing that on their site and then telling everybody else what albums are included?

it seems like an expanded version of this I guess? Full albums instead of just a comp...

Nice! Good looking out. I’ll check these out today. Is VMP still trying to do the mystery box thing? Or are they doing that on their site and then telling everybody else what albums are included?

On the official site they at least mention the artists but not the albums. I think they are looking at this as a harder sell than say Blue Note or Motown so they are at least being a little more transparent or more so than usual

Maybe they aren't saying the actual albums through the official channels for those who want the surprise but making the album titles available to find elsewhere for those who want/need to seek it out in order to make a decision. I think that's a pretty ok (not great, but better) compromise.

Back