Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Mmmmmm that’s a very good point! It’s just that.......shipping costs so much! It’s $US29 for a vinyl to be shipped to Australia from Rough Trade (that’s where I can pre-order Shigeto) 😭😭😭

International shipping costs really do make VMP much more affordable for me compared to pretty much every other vinyl online store 😅

yeah I can get that, they are pretty much the only American store I can buy from, particularly as they don’t declare value properly so I don’t pay customs. Thankfully from here most of Europe and the UK is available so I’m not that reliant on them!

I do much prefer to shop in my local than with any online retailer though!

obviously they don´t trust their own product enough anymore to expect to sell on the merit of the product against the alternative pressings.
A lot of us would buy things blindly on recommendations from stuff or curation. Now, for me they are just a shop and i buy from them if i can´t get the record elsewhere for cheaper.
This, completely agree with you.

Mmmmmm that’s a very good point! It’s just that.......shipping costs so much! It’s $US29 for a vinyl to be shipped to Australia from Rough Trade (that’s where I can pre-order Shigeto) 😭😭😭

International shipping costs really do make VMP much more affordable for me compared to pretty much every other vinyl online store 😅

well, since Bullmoose also has them for pre-order, i think it is a wide release and i expect them to show up for pre-order all over the world. Rough trade and bullmoose are probably just particularly early

They are really blowing it if this really is just a box of color variants. They could have made the Anthology series a truly premium product with a lot of exclusivity amd rarity built into it, something vinyl collectors are naturally drawn to.

This is going to make me more hesitant to invest in this product in the future, the biggest draw to the Blue Note Anthology for me was the AAA presses and the fact that you can't find new high quality represses of most of the albums in the set. I hope a lot of people cancel on this one to discourage them from going down this path moving forward. It would be a shame if the rumored Sub Pop and Hip Hop anthologies went with a similar 'variant' model.

Last edited:
You're putting that on VMP when that seems more on Ghostly. Though I don't blame Ghostly for wanting to sell to more than just 500 people. This is less a celebration of them and more a we'll let VMP sell some variants of albums we already plan to release. The other Anthologies were celebrations of labels or specific dives into what made these labels what they are.

Did they confirm it's all the same albums?
Not 100% confirmed, but it is known that Ghostly Swim 1 and 2 and Shigeto are three of them. A note in their writeup on it says that one of the albums is their most recently announced album, which is the third comp that is shown under the Rough Trade link. I'd bet the other two albums are the other two on that list that come out on the same date.

He/she is saying that VMP are intentionally leaving out details of other pressings to get you to FOMO into their product. They aren't technically lying, but they aren't telling you the whole story, because in all fairness, they have no obligation to. With QOTSA in particular, they basically said hey we have this limited exclusive pressing, if you want it, sign up now. It's widely available now and I guess for some reason people are mad that they could have gotten it somewhere else without signing up for 3 months of VMP? I'm not really sure.

Personally, I don't have a problem with this. They are in no way obligated to tell me what another company or an artist/group is going to produce when, or where, or in what quantities. They likely aren't even at liberty to say even if they do know. VMP have a product to sell and it was surely not easy to get this album to production to begin with. I'm sure they want to sell you their version. The only issue I could see is that they forced people into 3 month memberships.... but even in that scenario, you can see their entire back catalog for swaps, and they told you the 3 ROTM's ahead of time.

Ah. I forgot they got rid of the 1 month subscription. That makes sense.

Lol what a load of shit this release has turned out to be. I hope the box is actually good for all who bought it though. Just shady on VMP part to actually put something out like this in what should be an exclusive curated box and not just color variants. Why weren’t these just released as colored VMP exclusives or something and skip this anthology box as a whole? That would have made much more sense.

Lol what a load of shit this release has turned out to be. I hope the box is actually good for all who bought it though. Just shady on VMP part to actually put something out like this in what should be an exclusive curated box and not just color variants. Why weren’t these just released as colored VMP exclusives or something and skip this anthology box as a whole? That would have made much more sense.
My guess is they are using the "Anthology" label to jack up the price only.
As individual exclusives they would have to sell them way cheaper.

That’s a very cynical attitude. I’ve got Vinyl Junkies new job and can announce the next box which will blow you away - Fania!!! With Johnny Y Celia (Razor Sharp corners edition), Fania All Stars Live on red vinyl, Willie Colon’s The Hustler on yellow vinyl and whatever that other one was, Tito Puento & Celia??? Is that it??? On green??? Whatever. It also comes with an exclusive t-shirt and custom box. Only $250 with a 10% discount for mugs.

71F97375-7F19-459C-AD54-1840DBF291F9.jpeg

That’s a very cynical attitude. I’ve got Vinyl Junkies new job and can announce the next box which will blow you away - Fania!!! With Johnny Y Celia (Razor Sharp corners edition), Fania All Stars Live on red vinyl, Willie Colon’s The Hustler on yellow vinyl and whatever that other one was, Tito Puento & Celia??? Is that it??? On green??? Whatever. It also comes with an exclusive t-shirt and custom box. Only $250 with a 10% discount for mugs.

View attachment 21021

nice wooden floors...

They are really blowing it if this really is just a box of color variants. They could have made the Anthology series a truly premium product with a lot of exclusivity amd rarity built into it, something vinyl collectors are naturally drawn to.

This is going to make me more hesitant to invest in this product in the future, the biggest draw to the Blue Note Anthology for me was the AAA presses and the fact that you can't find new high quality represses of most of the albums in the set. I hope a lot of people cancel on this one to discourage them from going down this path moving forward. It would be a shame if the rumored Sub Pop and Hip Hop anthologies went with a similar 'variant' model.

This is basically how I feel. I went into this with the assumption that anthology was their premium product with exclusive pressings that wouldn't be available anywhere else. Now that whole idea is out the window and I'm not really sure how to feel. If they would just be honest about what they're selling, I wouldn't have this problem. I'm fine with it being a box of color variants so long as that's what they say it is. Call it a deluxe limited box set or whatever and you accomplish the same FOMO goal without "conveniently" leaving out the wider release aspect. Sure, you might lose a few sales, but you also don't look like a piece of shit.

You're putting that on VMP when that seems more on Ghostly. Though I don't blame Ghostly for wanting to sell to more than just 500 people. This is less a celebration of them and more a we'll let VMP sell some variants of albums we already plan to release. The other Anthologies were celebrations of labels or specific dives into what made these labels what they are.

I actually think it's on VMP. Ghostly has nothing to do with VMP's marketing and whether or not VMP is going to announce the wider releases. I guess Ghostly could've done that on their end but I'm sure they had a deal where Ghostly kept quiet about their wider releases so VMP could have that sheen of exclusivity...

Back