Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Maybe but VMP didn't sell this as exclusive releases and more as reissues of OOP vinyl and never before pressed releases. I looked back at my emails from them, none said exclusive releases. This was sold as "Six albums that chart the evolution of Ghostly International into one of the most eclectic electronic labels ever". The other email says:
Announcing Vinyl Me, Please Anthology: The Story of Ghostly International — an immersive journey in celebration of the label's 20th anniversary. Limited to 500 + featuring six albums that chart the evolution of Ghostly International into one of the most eclectic electronic labels ever.
10/28 - Early access discount sale begins
Only 500 available
6 album, 8LP, colored vinyl box set
3 vinyl debuts + 3 out of print albums

This is basically how I feel. I went into this with the assumption that anthology was their premium product with exclusive pressings that wouldn't be available anywhere else. Now that whole idea is out the window and I'm not really sure how to feel. If they would just be honest about what they're selling, I wouldn't have this problem. I'm fine with it being a box of color variants so long as that's what they say it is. Call it a deluxe limited box set or whatever and you accomplish the same FOMO goal without "conveniently" leaving out the wider release aspect. Sure, you might lose a few sales, but you also don't look like a piece of shit.

Montara from the Blue Note box set has already been released separately by Blue Note. It wouldn't shock me that labels want to get their albums out in multiple venues. It's more money for them. I'd imagine both those Blue Notes and Motown releases will get a wide release in 6 months to a year. No different than Songs for the Deaf getting standard releases after the exclusivity window passes. I think the Rough Trade pre-order caught both VMP and Ghostly off guard. It wouldn't shock me to see the standard black releases on Ghostly's site shortly. I'm not sure why Ghostly put up standard releases up right when this set that they are co-advertising with VMP went up. But, I'm glad this came out because it's worse to feel you bought something based on a lie. Another black eye for VMP, it seems. Even if IMO it's not entirely of their own making this time.

For better or worse, I'm sticking with my purchase. I'll let y'all know what it looks like.

Edit: Yes I do feel like a fucking idiot for buying into this given everything but hey, I love Ghostly as a label so it's worth it for me despite the bullshit.

It would be good for either label to come out and say what the releases are. Imagine if it's not the full 6 that are on Rough Trade's pre-order list and something people really wanted but it sells out. Though at this point, I'm not thinking it will sell out.

For better or worse, I'm sticking with my purchase. I'll let y'all know what it looks like.

Edit: Yes I do feel like a fucking idiot for buying into this given everything but hey, I love Ghostly as a label so it's worth it for me despite the bullshit.
More power to you. If it was a label I loved i would do the same thing. I feel the negative sentiments are more coming from people who are looking at it from a collectors stance, people who feel ripped off at the availability and price or people who think VMP are being the big dumb.

If its a product you will enjoy that is all that matters.

If I loved the label I'd still be 100% down with this for the bonus stuff etc but as someone who isn't too familiar with them it's got to be a hard pass at this price and lack of exclusivity.

Anyone needs a code let me know.

In other news I finally got to open the last episode of the Motown box. My Badu sleeve is completely fucked, really not sure why they'd use cheaper sleeves for that release. Hopefully I can get that replaced as well as my actual box which was torn open. If so I'm very happy with that release and was so ready for part 3 but this music is very dull to my non-educated ears.

They aren’t included in the cost of the boxset. I’ll do a podcast with a tooth pick in my mouth like Razor Ramone, to try and present myself as knowledgeable on Latin culture and music.
Ayyyyy Yo...

giphy.gif

They are really blowing it if this really is just a box of color variants. They could have made the Anthology series a truly premium product with a lot of exclusivity amd rarity built into it, something vinyl collectors are naturally drawn to.

This is going to make me more hesitant to invest in this product in the future, the biggest draw to the Blue Note Anthology for me was the AAA presses and the fact that you can't find new high quality represses of most of the albums in the set. I hope a lot of people cancel on this one to discourage them from going down this path moving forward. It would be a shame if the rumored Sub Pop and Hip Hop anthologies went with a similar 'variant' model.

I stated my criticism here before and it's more on the marketing than tge product. I actually would appreciate if it were the same as for ghostly for all the anthologies. A collectors version box with premium Packaging, coloured vinyl, liner notes etc and standard versions of the individual releases for people on a budget or who only want individual releases.

Maybe but VMP didn't sell this as exclusive releases and more as reissues of OOP vinyl and never before pressed releases. I looked back at my emails from them, none said exclusive releases. This was sold as "Six albums that chart the evolution of Ghostly International into one of the most eclectic electronic labels ever". The other email says:
Announcing Vinyl Me, Please Anthology: The Story of Ghostly International — an immersive journey in celebration of the label's 20th anniversary. Limited to 500 + featuring six albums that chart the evolution of Ghostly International into one of the most eclectic electronic labels ever.
10/28 - Early access discount sale begins
Only 500 available
6 album, 8LP, colored vinyl box set
3 vinyl debuts + 3 out of print albums

Yeah it's true that they never said it was exclusive. I think the issue is that most people are assuming it is based on the prior box sets and the whole "never before on vinyl! long out of print and first time being repressed!" or whatever the specific language was. You're totally right that they never said it was exclusive... but they never said it wasn't, either. They never said WHAT it was, and that's my problem. I just want them to be straight up about what we're getting so people aren't making guesses and assumptions and then spending hundreds of dollars based on those guesses and assumptions. It's not like VMP isn't aware that exclusivity is an important part of these limited pressings.

You're also right that BN repressed Montara. Which, I don't now, I don't feel much about that either way. But at least it wasn't literally on preorder from a major distributor at the same time we were signing up for the box.

Anyway, I like VMP's product. I just want to know what I'm getting into and don't feel blindsided when it turns out my assumptions are all wrong. I hope there aren't people that stretched their budget to buy this box, assuming this would be their only chance... only to find out that the records would be widely available for cheaper.

Has everyone seen this? Looks like we may get 10-12 anthologies next year. PLUS another one before the end of this year. Whoaaaaaa

Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 11.32.16 AM.png

Damn. I better get over my FOMO and completionist behavior soon if I don't want my wife to divorce me next year.
Seriously! I'm glad I gave up my VMP completionist ways. Or else I'd be either bankrupt, divorced, both, or a volunteer for space travel.

Has everyone seen this? Looks like we may get 10-12 anthologies next year. PLUS another one before the end of this year. Whoaaaaaa

View attachment 21038

Oh wow, okay, well. I guess I'm not going to be an anthology completionist at this price point. No way I can justify 200+ per month on these things. I mean, good for them... can't imagine they're going to sustain the Motown box level of quality at that pace but we'll see.

View attachment 21038
That's crazy. When they came out with the first one I thought the whole point of it was to make a really premium product by taking their time with it, and they attached this sort of prestige to it. Becoming a monthly thing is the exact opposite of that, and there's no way it won't lead to way more fuck-ups like they had with the Blue Note one.

That's crazy. When they came out with the first one I thought the whole point of it was to make a really premium product by taking their time with it, and they attached this sort of prestige to it. Becoming a monthly thing is the exact opposite of that, and there's no way it won't lead to way more fuck-ups like they had with the Blue Note one.
That was the initial thought with their exclusives back in 2015/2016 as well. They'd have 1-3 exclusives per month alongside their curated section in their store. Then it absolutely ballooned to 8-10 per month and now its settled down a bit. But I'd think this would go much the same way.

Despite the shenanigans, I really enjoyed the first Anthology. I even toyed with the idea of just being a completionist with the Anthologies since I gave up collecting all the exclusives. However, with this sort of time table, I'm not going to attempt it.

I'm also sticking with it but I don't think you should feel like an idiot. We know what VMP is and what their business ethics are, I bought this more to support Ghostly and to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes with the label.

It will certainly make me more skeptical of future anthologies but if it's the right label I'll be more than happy to dish some money out to support them. With that being said I don't think music should be exclusive to a small group of people, fans should be able to purchase vinyl of their favorite musicians without the risk of it being sold out and flipped for extraordinary costs, I get why some artists do it, but I don't support that, so this not being exclusive doesn't really bother me.

Back