Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Ooooo yes! I love Clipping! I forgot about them! I’m really digging their new album! Love their ghostly and haunted aesthetic! 👻

Daveed Diggs is in Clipping. He won a Tony for Hamilton, so he has an outside shot at EGOTing.

A walk through Sup Pop history would have to have Nirvana, but which one(s)?
Mudhoney, The Shins, The Postal Service, Modest Mouse, Sleater-Kinney, Rogue Wave, Fleet Foxes, Beach House, Foals, Father John Misty
This could be a huge box!

My issue with a Sub Pop box is most of the heaters in their back catalog have remained in print. Besides the occasional bad pressings via Erika Records, they’ve been well made, frequently in high-quality jackets, largely well mastered by reputable engineers like Kevin Gray, Golden or John Gold, and very affordable. A premium box of their stuff would feel very pointless to me especially when you consider 99.9% of their catalog to be digitally sourced, there’s way less of a value-prop.

I’d rather see Stax.

A walk through Sup Pop history would have to have Nirvana, but which one(s)?
Mudhoney, The Shins, The Postal Service, Modest Mouse, Sleater-Kinney, Rogue Wave, Fleet Foxes, Beach House, Foals, Father John Misty
This could be a huge box!

Bleach was the only Nirvana album released by sub pop.

Green River was the first ever sub pop release, and mudhoney are probably the most essential sub pop band for the label’s entire history.

Flight of the Conchords won the label’s only Grammy.

Modest Mouse were not on sub pop. Sleater Kinney was only on it recently(for the Woods and No Cities To Love).

Last edited:
I would rather they not do Stax. Even if they find an angle to make it a bit more interesting, it would feel too much like a similar set to the WM box. I would rather see them do something very out there for one of them, like a label that only did 7ins and eps. Someone mentioned something like the New York no wave scene.

Didn't Storf say the first four were similar? I feel like that means another soul box and another jazz box. I'm struggling to believe that the compilation for a reason comment means anything other than it being a time where lots of the best songs were only released as singles, which fits soul better.

Didn't Storf say the first four were similar? I feel like that means another soul box and another jazz box. I'm struggling to believe that the compilation for a reason comment means anything other than it being a time where lots of the best songs were only released as singles, which fits soul better.
I think at one point Storf said there was no way we would guess #3 which made people think it would be outside the Jazz/Soul area. But your point on soul being a singles genre holds true, just look at all the work that Numero has done with their boxsets.

Bleach was the only Nirvana album released by sub pop.

Green River was the first ever sub pop release, and mudhoney are probably the most essential sub pop band for the label’s entire history.

Fight of the Conchords won the label’s only Grammy.

Modest Mouse were not on sub pop. Sleater Kinney was only on it recently(for the Woods and No Cities To Love).

Yeah, I just quickly scanned through the discogs entries and found bands liked. There are a few singles by MM.

I haven't been able to listen to the actual LPs yet, as my record player is still in storage (out next weekend!) so have been listening along on Spotify.

Which is to say that someone mentioned on the unboxing video that

Irresistible

isn't on Spotify. It actually is as the entire album is on

Come On And See Me: The Complete Solo Collection

Yeah, I just quickly scanned through the discogs entries and found bands liked. There are a few singles by MM.

Never Ending Math Equation is from the singles club, so it could be on a comp.

Credit card is one thing, but I refuse to support my addiction through instalment plans
View attachment 20285

Yeah the installment plan just... I don't know. I don't judge anyone for making their decisions. I can see situations where it makes sense. Justpersonally, I feel like if I really need an installment plan, I probably can't afford it.

Good thought... classical? I don't know much about classical so could compilations make sense?

I doubt it's classical. But pre-50s could include: gospel, country (different varieties....bluesy, folksy, old-timey, bluegrass, western swing, boogie woogie), blues (and boogie woogie), jump blues, big band, New Orleans jazz revival, pop, bebop (your Charlie "Bird" Parkers and your Dizzies, for example), and um....I think that covers everything, at least off the top of my head. Oh! Also music soundtracks or Broadway scores.

I doubt it's classical. But pre-50s could include: gospel, country (different varieties....bluesy, folksy, old-timey, bluegrass, western swing, boogie woogie), blues (and boogie woogie), jump blues, big band, New Orleans jazz revival, pop, bebop (your Charlie "Bird" Parkers and your Dizzies, for example), and um....I think that covers everything, at least off the top of my head. Oh! Also music soundtracks or Broadway scores.
Sun Records would be a great option for the Anthology and likely necessitate compilations.

I'm really happy with the Motown box so far. It's a much better experience than Blue Note and makes me wish they had waited to do BN for the 4th or 5th box.

Ditto, had this same thought the other day.

Sun Records would be a great option for the Anthology and likely necessitate compilations.

This or Chess..... something that put out mostly 45's.

Back