Vinyl Me Please Anthology

The new Anthology community is either a ghost town or I'm doing it wrong. The facebook version for the BN Anthology was active, to an annoying extreme because it was not moderated very well. Anyone who is in the Women of Motown Anthology club, do you think the difference is more due to the nature of the music or the weird new forum?

It's a ghost town basically. I think it's a combination of both, but mainly the forum software. First of all, the forum software is super weird, I don't know why they didn't just put up a normal forum and call it a day. But also I think the average person isn't going on these forums at all and probably spends waaay more time on Facebook. Which is really unfortunate, I was happy when I saw they were ditching Facebook but that forum's been pretty dead.

I also think you can't discount the pure rabidity of jazzbos. I don't think Motown has anywhere near the intense fandom that Blue Note and jazz in general has.

Anyway, it's a shame. I don't blame VMP at all though. They tried something and right now it's looking like a flop unfortunately. Won't be shocked if they go back to Facebook for the next one.

Oh also, I haven't noticed anything off-center, sorry you're having that issue.

I haven't participated as my box hasn't arrived yet. Supposed to be here today. Now, will it all be in one piece? Maybe.

Happy to hear the people who bought in are happy with their purchases 👌🏼 would anyone who is happy consider it worth the price tag or slightly over still?
The new Anthology community is either a ghost town or I'm doing it wrong. The facebook version for the BN Anthology was active, to an annoying extreme because it was not moderated very well. Anyone who is in the Women of Motown Anthology club, do you think the difference is more due to the nature of the music or the weird new forum?
I haven't participated as my box hasn't arrived yet. Supposed to be here today. Now, will it all be in one piece? Maybe.

While I too paid the anthology 1 discount, I am reserving value judgement until the end. That said, so far the extras are displaying some added value (beyond audiophile LP costs) compared to last time.

Ya the new forum certainly requires a learning curve and could be a lot more intuitive and simple, and I agree Motown won't command the rabid engagement seen in jazz fans, but the "hands up, who's box has arrived" thread is fairly active. Judging from that the other sections of the forum are quiet b/c a lot of people are still waiting on their boxes, as @mdmost points out.

I've already plowed through the set as well, and no quality issues jumped out. Me and my wife's attentive run through and engagement with the editorial content will start this week when we listen to episode one of the podcast and take it from there.

Box arrived with some bumps but everything inside looks great. A very beautiful box and the first set of records look great. Don't know if I'll have time to get through the first episode today.

Box arrived with some bumps but everything inside looks great. A very beautiful box and the first set of records look great. Don't know if I'll have time to get through the first episode today.

Glad your box is okay. My shipping box was banged up pretty good, but the contents were pristine. One funny thing I noticed with the new outer box is the little stripe at the top of the spine with the catalog number is thicker than the Blue Note Anthology one. Storf made it a point to mention that design element as being important to the continuity of the series, but they look a little silly next to one another on the shelf, IMO.

I can't make the live unboxing tonight so I'm ripping them open this afternoon. Also did anyone notice episode 3 of the podcast randomly appeared in the old feed? Someone at VMP needs to figure out how to do private podcast feeds with passwords if they care about that.

Unwrapped and spun the next two albums... really fantastic.

Syreeta is probably my favorite so far but the Tammi is maybe a close second. I just love the Stevie Wonder keyboard all over the Syreeta, their working relationship (and actual relationship) is super evident in this. I also might frame the Tammi picture on the album liner notes... best picture of the group! The rest are mostly meh, unfortunately.

Clue for the next anthology from the unboxing Livestream: it includes three compilation albums for a very specific reason.

So a label with a ton of singles? Or an entire smaller genre, like No Wave or something? Artist with lots of singles but few actual albums?

Clue for the next anthology from the unboxing Livestream: it includes three compilation albums for a very specific reason.

So a label with a ton of singles? Or an entire smaller genre, like No Wave or something? Artist with lots of singles but few actual albums?

Garage rock makes sense after the first two. A Nuggets-style anthology with Warner/Rhino maybe?

This smells a LOT like Sub Pop for two reasons:

1. I cannot imagine Discord getting involved with VMP or anyone else, even though when I think "compilation albums" Discord is exactly the first that comes to mind (Flex Your Head, The Year in Seven Inches,...)
2. Nevermind all the comps from the early years of Sub Pop, I distinctly remember a reissue series with Sub Pop a bit ago with Sebadoh, Sleater-Kinney, and Foals. In hindsight, that now seems like water-testing.

This smells a LOT like Sub Pop for two reasons:

1. I cannot imagine Discord getting involved with VMP or anyone else, even though when I think "compilation albums" Discord is exactly the first that comes to mind (Flex Your Head, The Year in Seven Inches,...)
2. Nevermind all the comps from the early years of Sub Pop, I distinctly remember a reissue series with Sub Pop a bit ago with Sebadoh, Sleater-Kinney, and Foals. In hindsight, that now seems like water-testing.

Sub Pop just isn’t afraid to say no to money. I’m pretty sure that comic book store is going to reissue their entire catalog eventually.

Subpop comps could be the original Bruce Pavitt zine comps. But I don’t imagine finding masters would be the easiest for that. You could do a comp of each of the first three 45 subscription series. Something like that.

I’m hoping the next VMP Anthology series is Stax. I’m really happy with the Motown Anthology Box! I love the selections, the sound quality and the consistency. I’m sure the Stax Anthology box will be just as good or even better! 😇

If it’s Sub Pop, it will be a pass for me as I’m not into most of their catalogue. It’s not my preferred genre/style. From the label, I really like Shabazz Palaces’ “Black Up” and “Lese Majesty”, THEEsatisfaction’s “awE naturalE” and The Evil Tambourines’ “Library Nation”. But that’s pretty much all their left-field hip-hop discography!

I’m looking really forward to seeing what the next VMP Anthology box is! 🤔🥳🙇‍♂️

I’m hoping the next VMP Anthology series is Stax. I’m really happy with the Motown Anthology Box! I love the selections, the sound quality and the consistency. I’m sure the Stax Anthology box will be just as good or even better! 😇

If it’s Sub Pop, it will be a pass for me as I’m not into most of their catalogue. It’s not my preferred genre/style. From the label, I really like Shabazz Palaces’ “Black Up” and “Lese Majesty”, THEEsatisfaction’s “awE naturalE” and The Evil Tambourines’ “Library Nation”. But that’s pretty much all their left-field hip-hop discography!

I’m looking really forward to seeing what the next VMP Anthology box is! 🤔🥳🙇‍♂️

HAve you checked out Clipping. ?

Back