SPOIL ALERT 🚨⚠

Here are albums 4-8 in the VMP Motown Anthology Box 🙌

EPISODE 2
Tammi Terrell - Irresistible
Syreeta - Syreeta

EPISODE 3
Tata Vega - Totally Tata
Teena Marie - It Must Be Magic
Erykah Badu - Worldwide Underground (2xLP)

Nice. It looks like my guesses were on point.

Seeing the titles confirmed gives me a little twinge of regret. I hope everyone who got it enjoys it.

I am spinning Record 1.

Ryan Smith was his usual excellent self on this, even though the main single from this album sounds a bit muddy (par for Motown singles at the time, I have to say). I shall pull out the complete singles CD box to compare once this playback is finished.

Side 2 sounds clear as the blue Seoul sky I see out the window.

If I'm trying to piecemeal some of this collection together from discogs, are these overseas pressings good choices?

Yes for the third pressing (I have it), but no no no for the other two. My policy is to avoid those two reissue companies at all costs.

Santa Maria is Columbia and Hollywood is RCA. I generally prefer the RCA pressings for the period as they tend to be quieter (better quality vinyl formula?), but there are many other factors to consider.

Yes for the third pressing (I have it), but no no no for the other two. My policy is to avoid those two reissue companies at all costs.

Santa Maria is Columbia and Hollywood is RCA. I generally prefer the RCA pressings for the period as they tend to be quieter (better quality vinyl formula?), but there are many other factors to consider.

Thanks. So you think just go original pressing for those other two?

I am spinning Record 1.

Ryan Smith was his usual excellent self on this, even though the main single from this album sounds a bit muddy (par for Motown singles at the time, I have to say). I shall pull out the complete singles CD box to compare once this playback is finished.

Side 2 sounds clear as the blue Seoul sky I see out the window.

Second this... listened to record 1 yesterday and it sounded better than I expected.

So I've spun all three of the first episode now and I gotta admit, I'm really surprised at how good these sound. I don't have any originals to compare them to but just the sheer sense of space, especially on the latter two, is kind of amazing. Motown sure did love it some reverb. I'm going to stream the third record from Qobuz in 24/192 just to see how that compares. Gotta say, I'm really happy with these.

Holding out and not opening the other episodes until it's time, although I did peek and I know what they are, lol.

Just got my box, and... huge dent in the outer box due to shipping mishandling. :(
IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

Even the first two records suffered small indentations on the cover. Hopefully CS has it covered. Shipping damage aside, the records look great, and the essays on the 12x12 cards are a great touch. Definitely feels like an improvement over the BN box all around.

Just got my box, and... huge dent in the outer box due to shipping mishandling. :(
View attachment 19346

View attachment 19344

Even the first two records suffered small indentations on the cover. Hopefully CS has it covered. Shipping damage aside, the records look great, and the essays on the 12x12 cards are a great touch. Definitely feels like an improvement over the BN box all around.

Hey @Mather you doin a volume 2?

View attachment 19346

View attachment 19344

My shipping box for Motown ladies looked like it took some hits, much like yours. I expected some damage but, luckily, the inner box was fine.

My Blue Note box got that same treatment from the post office and was terribly damaged. CS did replace it but, would not re-number it with my original number. Didn't like that.

View attachment 19346

View attachment 19344

My shipping box for Motown ladies looked like it took some hits, much like yours. I expected some damage but, luckily, the inner box was fine.

My Blue Note box got that same treatment from the post office and was terribly damaged. CS did replace it but, would not re-number it with my original number. Didn't like that.

Mine got crushed and ripped up too, not pleased. They even taped the wrong damn corners of the shipping box, leaving the flap end untapped and accessible.

Attachments

• IMG_7171.JPG
    IMG_7171.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7173.JPG
    IMG_7173.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7176.JPG
    IMG_7176.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7177.JPG
    IMG_7177.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7178.JPG
    IMG_7178.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7179.JPG
    IMG_7179.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7180.JPG
    IMG_7180.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 28
View attachment 19346

View attachment 19344

Sorry to see you received a damaged box. If you (or anyone else) get replacements for the actual records, please keep me in mind. As long as the albums play fine, I would happily pay for albums #1 - 5 with dents, crunched corners, seam splits, etc. DM me if you receive replacements. Thanks!

Sorry to see you received a damaged box. If you (or anyone else) get replacements for the actual records, please keep me in mind. As long as the albums play fine, I would happily pay for albums #1 - 5 with dents, crunched corners, seam splits, etc. DM me if you receive replacements. Thanks!
For sure! I got a response this morning that they'll be sending the new box. I guess I need to open the other two episode packets and inspect those. I kind of wanted to play along with the unveiling this time, but it is a bit anxiety-provoking keeping them under wraps...

Back