Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Alright, I'll suspend disbelief for a moment and tell myself that the new member, from Denver, the home of VMP, with 8 posts, all of which are in Vinyl Me Please threads, is not a company plant floating trial messages to gauge reactions here.

Nothing screams authenticity like the VMP wingding donut logo on the label of a Blue Note record. I cringed so hard when I first saw that.

I suspect that you know perfectly well that people need to immediately open, inspect and play any record from VMP. People who get their records last constantly are told that there are no more replacements, but here's a credit so you can order more overpriced damaged records. Nobody can or should wait before opening a VMP record.
I am going to suggest therapy for you. Thats some serious paranoia you are sporting there. I've had plenty of issues with VMP, the Anthology just wasn't one of them. Toxic attitudes like this are why the forum doesn't exist anymore. Grow up.

I am going to suggest therapy for you. Thats some serious paranoia you are sporting there. I've had plenty of issues with VMP, the Anthology just wasn't one of them. Toxic attitudes like this are why the forum doesn't exist anymore. Grow up.

News flash, shutting down the forum was a blessing, N&G is so much better. God this response brings back memories.

Alright, I'll suspend disbelief for a moment and tell myself that the new member, from Denver, the home of VMP, with 8 posts, all of which are in Vinyl Me Please threads, is not a company plant floating trial messages to gauge reactions here.

Nothing screams authenticity like the VMP wingding donut logo on the label of a Blue Note record. I cringed so hard when I first saw that.

I suspect that you know perfectly well that people need to immediately open, inspect and play any record from VMP. People who get their records last constantly are told that there are no more replacements, but here's a credit so you can order more overpriced damaged records. Nobody can or should wait before opening a VMP record.

And yeah, I check every record I get as soon as I get it. In my last 5 purchases, I've had to replace Black Fire from the Tone Poet series, Contours from TP, I replaced the new reissue of Apollo by Brian Eno twice before giving up and getting a credit, I had a replacement sent for a severely warped copy of Call Me, and today I had to request a replacent for Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus because it is noisy as hell even after a cleaning.

I'm allowed to be positive about the Anthology here. Learn to accept differing opinions before jumping to thinking I must have alterior motives because my experience was different than yours.

News flash, shutting down the forum was a blessing, N&G is so much better. God this response brings back memories.

I have seen so many posts here wondering if Storf and co. are lurking, like some spurned exed lovers or something, and most of the VMP sections here seem reserved for shitting on the company at every opportunity. If people are over it they sure have a funny way of showing it.

The fact that I am being called a shill for even being positive about something coming from them shows as much.

added $20 in credit
Sorry in advance for being nosy: Out of curiosity, credited to which account? Only asking because they made a big deal out of Anthology being on a different e-commerce platform, so if I’m understanding correctly, either a) they credited your unrelated store account, which there was no guarantee you’d have since non-members could subscribe to Anthology, or b) they credited your Anthology account and your only chance to use it is to re-sub to the next one.

First off, welcome. But, 2 members commented on your statement, neither of which attacked you in any way, shape or form. Even @High Rant District included a disclaimer in his first sentence. We're all entitled to opinions, and how we choose to discuss those opinions is what causes issues. Your response here does exactly what you're telling people not to do......have a "Toxic" attitude. Telling someone they need therapy and others to grow up, is hardly the way to carry on a non toxic discussion.

I'm glad the Anthology series is acceptable to you, but we all have different expectations when we buy things.

First off, welcome. But, 2 members commented on your statement, neither of which attacked you in any way, shape or form. Even @High Rant District included a disclaimer in his first sentence. We're all entitled to opinions, and how we choose to discuss those opinions is what causes issues. Your response here does exactly what you're telling people not to do......have a "Toxic" attitude. Telling someone they need therapy and others to grow up, is hardly the way to carry on a non toxic discussion.

I'm glad the Anthology series is acceptable to you, but we all have different expectations when we buy things.

If you think the disclaimer was in any way sincere I don't know what to tell you. He followed his disclaimer by pointing out where I live and my post history. My response was overly vitriolic and I apologize, but I was a little shellshocked by his response. I only comment on VMP things because I like many was displaced when the forums shut down. I come here to relive the old guess threads, and I think that's where I will stay since a positive attitude in this thread is met with negative (and upvoted) responses and people such as yourself only find issue with my answer.

This attitude is really disheartening.

If you think the disclaimer was in any way sincere I don't know what to tell you. He followed his disclaimer by pointing out where I live and my post history. My response was overly vitriolic and I apologize, but I was a little shellshocked by his response. I only comment on VMP things because I like many was displaced when the forums shut down. I come here to relive the old guess threads, and I think that's where I will stay since a positive attitude in this thread is met with negative (and upvoted) responses and people such as yourself only find issue with my answer.

Sincere or not, he responded to your comment. You decided to take the conversation to a personal level, that's it, I don't see where what I said in respect to that had any "attitude" behind it. I hope you decide to participate in more than just one place around here, I really do, because there is so much more positive on this forum than negative.

When a newbie begins with an account that contradicts several other people's experiences, one possible response is to question the motives of the messenger. I get where you are coming from, but I don't really sympathize with your hurt feelings since the way you stated your account did not really show great respect to other members here either.

Sincere or not, he responded to your comment. You decided to take the conversation to a personal level, that's it, I don't see where what I said in respect to that had any "attitude" behind it. I hope you decide to participate in more than just one place around here, I really do, because there is so much more positive on this forum than negative.

This will be my last response here, which I am sure most will be pleased with. I wasn't saying your attitude was disheartening but rather the overall acceptance of this kind of negativity/toxicity here. I did take his response personally. I don't know the age or background of anyone here, but when someone questions my integrity like he did, suggesting/saying I am being paid for my opinions, I am offended. In my line of work, integrity and honesty are paramount. I don't take well to passive aggressive BS or suggestions of insincerity. If I come across as agressive I apologize, I only mean to be direct.

I am going to suggest therapy for you.
You aren't the first person, and won't be the last. I just figured you'd either laugh because I was so wrong, or react strongly because I touched a nerve, and start justifying other VMP actions like shutting down their forum.
Toxic attitudes like this are why the forum doesn't exist anymore.
:eek:
And yeah, I check every record I get as soon as I get it. In my last 5 purchases, I've had to replace Black Fire from the Tone Poet series, Contours from TP, I replaced the new reissue of Apollo by Brian Eno twice before giving up and getting a credit, I had a replacement sent for a severely warped copy of Call Me, and today I had to request a replacent for Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus because it is noisy as hell even after a cleaning.
Maybe those other companies were getting revenge because your company keeps sending them defective records.
The fact that I am being called a shill for even being positive about something coming from them shows as much.
I didn't say you were a shill. I suggested you were a plant.
Telling someone they need therapy and others to grow up, is hardly the way to carry on a non toxic discussion.
To be fair, that was on me for violating the ancient Tibetan tenet "Don't start none, won't be none."
My response was overly vitriolic and I apologize, but I was a little shellshocked by his response.
No need to apologize. You didn't start anything, and to be fair, you should defend your employer. ;)
This will be my last response here, which I am sure most will be pleased with.
Nah, you should hang out. I respect that you stood up for yourself. And your employer. (I can't help myself, I know, I know). You don't know me, but in the future, if you ever think I'm messing with you... it's probably because I'm messing with you.

Welcome to the forum!

You aren't the first person, and won't be the last. I just figured you'd either laugh because I was so wrong, or react strongly because I touched a nerve, and start justifying other VMP actions like shutting down their forum.

People are going to hate what I have to say here too. First, I assure you I do not work for VMP, I work for a very large distribution company with an office here in Denver. So yes, in some ways I can feel their pain. I worked for Netflix before my current employer, and I remember the extremely negative reaction when Netflix removed user reviews from their website. I can tell you from experience that the reason there was likely the reason VMP did it - Google search results. Random crazy user reviews and comments would pop up if you searched, for instance, with a term like, 'Pulp Fiction Netflix'. Sure the first result would be a page where you could watch it streaming or rent a DVD, but after that, people could see user created content that they had no control over. I would venture to guess that the same logic was used with VMP.

Please don't take this as me defending their actions, but rather offering a possible explanation. They have big aspirations, as any entrepreneurs turned executives do. I do believe the shutting down of the forums was a mistake - it took away a big part of the experience/illusion of them being a record club as they evolve into something else entirely. They chose the easy way rather than the right way. We'll see how it goes for them, but I think they are doing fine.

I have seen so many posts here wondering if Storf and co. are lurking, like some spurned exed lovers or something, and most of the VMP sections here seem reserved for shitting on the company at every opportunity. If people are over it they sure have a funny way of showing it.

People suspect people are shills at times because VMP are known for a fact to have had shills come onto their forum and talk things up. People wonder if Storf lurks the forum here because they don't wonder, we know he does.

Liking the anthology records is not an unpopular opinion. Pretty much everyone here agreed the records are great and sound great. It's the parts VMP were most responsible for that were most fucked up. You're assertion that the ends justify the means and that now that we are left with great records means somehow the anthology wasn't a shit show are ridiculous.

If it makes you feel better, I know you aren't a VMP shill because it's obvious who you are.

OMG, it’s so serious up in here! I’m such a scaredy-cat that all this “Can I talk to your Manager?”/serious kind of conversation is making me scared! I like that people here are being serious and calling out VMP for the right reasons, but I’m such a baby that it also frightens me as I’m not used to this White-Collar professional talk 🤭🙈😅

I must admit that I’m very happy with the VMP Anthology overall as the records sound amazing and I like the records which were chosen. I think there were definitely things that went wrong (jacket, vinyl label), but VMP corrected them and i think they were sincere with how they went about the issues. I understand why people are disappointed however as there was a bit of a lack of quality control.

I just want to put this out there. The Blue Note Tone Poet Series so far has been excellent and in my opinion, the best reissues Blue Note are involved in! Blue Note Tone Poet is better than VMP Anthology, hands down! 🙌

The 80th anniversary series however is the worst thing ever by far in terms of quality control. EVER!!! I got around 8-10 Blue Note 80th Anniversary pressings and all were either severely warped or had so much scratches everywhere. Literally all of them were very faulty and it doesn’t make sense to me because all the exclusive vinyl pressings I’ve been getting from Urban Outfitters have been pristine.....

I just want to put out there that I understand the disappointment in the VMP Blue Note Anthology Series, as there was a lack of quality control. However, this makes me just think of one thing......if VMP Anthology Blue Note series is considered to have lacked quality, the 80th Blue Note reissues are just like 4 Men With Beards quality/no care at all! I’m really shocked with Blue Note’s carelessness with those pressings. Urban Outfitters, I wouldn’t have been shocked, even though their pressings have been great, but Blue Note.....YIKES!

The 80th anniversary series however is the worst thing ever by far in terms of quality control. EVER!!! I got around 8-10 Blue Note 80th Anniversary pressings and all were either severely warped or had so much scratches everywhere. Literally all of them were very faulty and it doesn’t make sense to me because all the exclusive vinyl pressings I’ve been getting from Urban Outfitters have been pristine.....
Strange, the 3 bn80 releases i have are perfect.

OMG, it’s so serious up in here! I’m such a scaredy-cat that all this “Can I talk to your Manager?”/serious kind of conversation is making me scared! I like that people here are being serious and calling out VMP for the right reasons, but I’m such a baby that it also frightens me as I’m not used to this White-Collar professional talk 🤭🙈😅

I must admit that I’m very happy with the VMP Anthology overall as the records sound amazing and I like the records which were chosen. I think there were definitely things that went wrong (jacket, vinyl label), but VMP corrected them and i think they were sincere with how they went about the issues. I understand why people are disappointed however as there was a bit of a lack of quality control.

I just want to put this out there. The Blue Note Tone Poet Series so far has been excellent and in my opinion, the best reissues Blue Note are involved in! Blue Note Tone Poet is better than VMP Anthology, hands down! 🙌

I just want to put out there that I understand the disappointment in the VMP Blue Note Anthology Series, as there was a lack of quality control. However, this makes me just think of one thing......if VMP Anthology Blue Note series is considered to have lacked quality, the 80th Blue Note reissues are just like 4 Men With Beards quality/no care at all! I’m really shocked with Blue Note’s carelessness with those pressings. Urban Outfitters, I wouldn’t have been shocked, even though their pressings have been great, but Blue Note.....YIKES!
Really? I've heard nothing but good things about the 80th. I heard what you're saying about the 75th, but not 80. I know at least some are AAA and pressed at Optimal. Are you saying the jackets are trash? I need to pick up Ethiopian Nights!

They were most certainly not sincere on the case of Gordon. They claimed that Blue Note sent and approved the wrong artwork, claimed they had scoured the earth for ogs to scan but were unable to and then within a week of pissing everyone off, magically had a source for the right liner notes and cover. They. Lied. Their. Asses. Off.

My one 80th (Herbie) is better than one of my Tone poets (Gil Evans). The 75th are a crap shoot, sorry you had bad luck.

I only have one BN80 so far (Grant Green) and it was great! Not as nice as the tone poets but really good! I haven’t gotten any others but Jutta Hipp is preordered.

Last edited:
Strange, the 3 bn80 releases i have are perfect.
Really? I've heard nothing but good things about the 80th. I heard what you're saying about the 75th, but not 80. I know at least some are AAA and pressed at Optimal. Are you saying the jackets are trash? I need to pick up Ethiopian Nights!
Ahhhh it is the 75th Anniversary pressings I’m talking about! It’s just because I’ve been buying them when the 80th Anniversary pressings are out, I’ve assumed all of them are 80th Anniversary and that I missed out on the 75th Anniversary reissues!

I’ve looked at the list for the 80th Anniversary and the only one I see there that I got was Robert Glasper’s Canvas. I remember one disc being very warped and the other one was good, but I ended up returning it as I was already returning other vinyl from Amazon! Literally all the other 8-9 records were so faulty, and not even minor defects, they all had big defects.

I think I’m going to try out some of those 80th Anniversary reissues if they are good! I love Ethiopian Knights by Donald Byrd! It’s my favourite album of his! I have to get that one too!

All the Tone Poet records I’ve got so far have been really, really good. And I like the packaging from the baggy outside sleeve to the heavy gatefolds etc.

I’m definitely buying the 80th Blue Note reissues then!!!

I just remember all the other Blue Note reissues (which had to have been the 75th Anniversary reissues), being really cheap! But now I know why they were cheap! And I actually remember Canvas but Robert Glasper being more expensive but I really like that album. I was just hungry for more new Blue Note records and thought I was getting a bargain, but what I got was a load of 💩💩💩

Back