Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Bah, that's nothing. I wrote to them again asking about an issue (label on the Akinmusire album) that they said they'd take care of but didn't do what they said they'd do. That was 6 full days ago. Still no response. Had been corresponding with Stephen.
A week went by before I got a response one time, and that’s because I sent a follow up email, so there’s that. If by day 5 you don’t hear back, send a follow up email.

I sent a follow up this morning and Stephen responded that he'd been out of town.

Apologize, put in for shipping replacement asap and added $20 in credit to "lessen the sting of the whole ordeal" since I expressed how displeased I was throughout the whole experience but avoided piling on until now.

The number of fucks I give is zero. Someone else should have been covering for him if he's being truthful. I already moved this box set on to someone else at cost via this forum.

Ya he said since Thursday, which is the morning I sent my initial email. Sooooooo, it doesn't align with your timeline 😬 oops? :LOL:

I sent a follow up this morning and Stephen responded that he'd been out of town.

Apologize, put in for shipping replacement asap and added $20 in credit to "lessen the sting of the whole ordeal" since I expressed how displeased I was throughout the whole experience but avoided piling on until now.
It seems to me that one person being out of town should not cause customer service to be put on hold. Also, does being out of town mean being on vacation? Is he not capable of sending out an email to any people with active issues letting them know that he will be out of town? Is it not possible for someone else to step in and handle things? Why is VMP always reactive and never proactive about these things?

Alright so I compared every version of Schizophrenia I have and the cymbal cut out is on each version of Tom Thumb (1st stereo press, original anthology and repress). So weird! Listen carefully to the cymbals around the 2:20-2:25 mark and let me know what you think is going on. It’s almost like the mic cuts in and out. It sounds pretty jarring once you notice it. For what it’s worth, I like the newer version better. Much more clarity but for some reason the bass is less present than on the OG. Might just be the better presentation of it actually.

This may be unpopular, but I just went through and listened to all 6 records today. Its a great box set and each album sounds fantastic. I know the whole rollout was less than ideal for a lot of people, but at the end of the day, I do have 6 jazz albums I otherwise wouldn't have, at least not sounding this good.

As for the price, I don't believe Storf when he says that the box, book, etc don't factor into the overall cost. It just has to. No business ignores overhead costs like that, it would be irresponsible. I bet they added at least 5-10 dollars onto the total cost of this Anthology.

I'm finding that, the further removed I am from it, I have grown to appreciate the set more. What did we pay, $35 a record? Thats not unreasonable considering the box and book, AAA mastering on the first 5, and the fact that yes, these are extremely exclusive. Dexter Calling, Natural Soul, Schizophrenia, and Heart Emerges Glistening are on pretty consistent rotation in my house. The other two come out every once in a while as well. They all are at the Tone Poet/Music Matters level of quality, though the jackets are obviously not at that grade. This however can be chalked up to authenticity, as they seemed to be aiming for that (sometimes badly).

It sucks to see how much they dropped the ball for so many people, but I can't say I'm not happy with the final product. I think the process was flawed, and in many ways we were guinea pigs. They really need to rethink the rollout schedule and social media aspect of things. Also, I do wish a bit more effort was put into the podcasts, rather than just chopping up one interview into multiple parts.

If anything, they should send all the records at once but keep them wrapped separately. Label them like, "Don't open until phase 2, february 14th 2020" or something like that. That way, people who want to partake in the monthly rollout still can, while other people can just open them all and be done with it. This would also eliminate the extensive delivery issues so many had.

Either way, those are my cents. Not a perfect Anthology, but we got some real nice, high quality wax out of the whole ordeal.

Alright, I'll suspend disbelief for a moment and tell myself that the new member, from Denver, the home of VMP, with 8 posts, all of which are in Vinyl Me Please threads, is not a company plant floating trial messages to gauge reactions here.
This however can be chalked up to authenticity, as they seemed to be aiming for that (sometimes badly).
Nothing screams authenticity like the VMP wingding donut logo on the label of a Blue Note record. I cringed so hard when I first saw that.
If anything, they should send all the records at once but keep them wrapped separately. Label them like, "Don't open until phase 2, february 14th 2020" or something like that. That way, people who want to partake in the monthly rollout still can, while other people can just open them all and be done with it. This would also eliminate the extensive delivery issues so many had.
I suspect that you know perfectly well that people need to immediately open, inspect and play any record from VMP. People who get their records last constantly are told that there are no more replacements, but here's a credit so you can order more overpriced damaged records. Nobody can or should wait before opening a VMP record.

Alright, I'll suspend disbelief for a moment and tell myself that the new member, from Denver, the home of VMP, with 8 posts, all of which are in Vinyl Me Please threads, is not a company plant floating trial messages to gauge reactions here.

Nothing screams authenticity like the VMP wingding donut logo on the label of a Blue Note record. I cringed so hard when I first saw that.

I suspect that you know perfectly well that people need to immediately open, inspect and play any record from VMP. People who get their records last constantly are told that there are no more replacements, but here's a credit so you can order more overpriced damaged records. Nobody can or should wait before opening a VMP record.

Not related to the Anthology at all but I haven't really had a chance to peep any records I've got from vmp for like the last two months and I'm terrified of dealing with the fallout if they're effed up.

Back