Vinyl Me Please Anthology

They were most certainly not sincere on the case of Gordon. They claimed that Blue Note sent and approved the wrong artwork, claimed they had scoured the earth for ogs to scan but were unable to and then within a week of pissing everyone off, magically had a source for the right liner notes and cover. They. Lied. Their. Asses. Off.

My one 80th (Herbie) is better than one of my Tone poets (Gil Evans). The 75th are a crap shoot, sorry you had bad luck.
Ok, that is definitely not sincere! I just haven’t been paying attention closely then. I thought most people were just really pissed off at the label and faulty jacket we got (which they replaced). But that is bad if they are lying. I hate dishonesty like that.....

Ok, that is definitely not sincere! I just haven’t been paying attention closely then. I thought most people were just really pissed off at the label and faulty jacket we got (which they replaced). But that is bad if they are lying. I hate dishonesty like that.....
I think you touch on a valid point and one of the reasons some of us have issue with VMP, the assumption that customers don't know any better. And unfortunately, I think that's what drives their business some times, as far back as I can remember, all that VMP subscribers from the forum, past and present, have asked for was transparency, or at least as transparent as possible, I don't think the majority of us are looking for tax returns, but the things they do screw up, they have an automatic knee jerk reaction of "it wasn't our fault" and inevitably end up having to back peddle because of it.

That being said, it seems like everything is becoming a crap shoot, lol

I’m definitely buying the 80th Blue Note reissues then!!!

I just remember all the other Blue Note reissues (which had to have been the 75th Anniversary reissues), being really cheap! But now I know why they were cheap! And I actually remember Canvas but Robert Glasper being more expensive but I really like that album. I was just hungry for more new Blue Note records and thought I was getting a bargain, but what I got was a load of 💩💩💩
I refuse to buy any 75th pressings. Just double check the year they were released on amazon if that’s where you are buying from and any cheap blue notes before 2019 release date are probably the 75th pressings. I got 3 or 4 75th pressings and all has to be returned. Warping, scratches, noise etc. I get what they were trying to do with that series— cheap introduction copies of jazz classics to get new vinyl collectors into jazz and BN but the execution was really poor. Even Blue Note admitted it. But glad they tried again with slightly more expensive pressings for 80.

I refuse to buy any 75th pressings. Just double check the year they were released on amazon if that’s where you are buying from and any cheap blue notes before 2019 release date are probably the 75th pressings. I got 3 or 4 75th pressings and all has to be returned. Warping, scratches, noise etc. I get what they were trying to do with that series— cheap introduction copies of jazz classics to get new vinyl collectors into jazz and BN but the execution was really poor. Even Blue Note admitted it. But glad they tried again with slightly more expensive pressings for 80.
Hopefully the big labels realize that quality is still important and the "fly by night" enthusiasts always seem to come and go.....then your left with us, and 'Us" don't like crap, lol

I think you touch on a valid point and one of the reasons some of us have issue with VMP, the assumption that customers don't know any better. And unfortunately, I think that's what drives their business some times, as far back as I can remember, all that VMP subscribers from the forum, past and present, have asked for was transparency, or at least as transparent as possible, I don't think the majority of us are looking for tax returns, but the things they do screw up, they have an automatic knee jerk reaction of "it wasn't our fault" and inevitably end up having to back peddle because of it.

That being said, it seems like everything is becoming a crap shoot, lol
I also bought the “we are a new young company just trying to figure it out” for awhile, but if you can’t figure it out in 5 years or so, maybe you’re in the wrong business.

As an anthology owner, at the end of the day, I do like the pressings a lot from it. I don’t think I really got ripped off price-wise. I also didn’t get a bargain. The bigger issues were fixed with Dexter and Shorter. But my view of VMP had been declining and the Dexter jacket put me over the top into probably never buying any VMP products again. @Lee Newman’s description was 100% right. They tried to pull the wool over our eyes while acting like they had somehow rediscovered the original art work for Dexter Calling in a week after scouring the earth for it before it went to print. There are too many good record labels out there for me to spend my money on now that don’t treat their customers as idiots.

Hopefully the big labels realize that quality is still important and the "fly by night" enthusiasts always seem to come and go.....then your left with us, and 'Us" don't like crap, lol
Or at least understand that there are different tiers of collectors! I do know plenty of people who were introduced to jazz through the 75th and ended up upgrading their copies later or buying MM or some other nicer copies as they got more into jazz. Seems like they are understanding that more by having the more expensive TP releases (they seem to be $30-$35 in record stores) and the 80th clocking in at $20-$25. I’m just glad that the 80th are also pressings that I look forward to quality-wise. Obviously they leave something to be desired like the sleeves being thinner and the records being pressed at an okay plant, but I’ll gladly pick up records from either series at this point.

Or at least understand that there are different tiers of collectors! I do know plenty of people who were introduced to jazz through the 75th and ended up upgrading their copies later or buying MM or some other nicer copies as they got more into jazz. Seems like they are understanding that more by having the more expensive TP releases (they seem to be $30-$35 in record stores) and the 80th clocking in at $20-$25. I’m just glad that the 80th are also pressings that I look forward to quality-wise. Obviously they leave something to be desired like the sleeves being thinner and the records being pressed at an okay plant, but I’ll gladly pick up records from either series at this point.
I feel like I only want to start buying jazz on vinyl because it really is the best when you get high quality pressings like the Tone Poet or VMP Blue Note or MOFI releases etc. When 50’s, 60’s and 70’s Jazz, Soul, Funk or Disco albums get a very high quality vinyl reissue, it’s legit the best thing ever!

Like those Chic reissues that Friday Music did (Chic, C’est Chic & Risqué) sound sooooo good and it’s the best spinning it. The amount of joy you get from having classic music like that being brought to life on vinyl like that is priceless.

I also bought the “we are a new young company just trying to figure it out” for awhile, but if you can’t figure it out in 5 years or so, maybe you’re in the wrong business.

As an anthology owner, at the end of the day, I do like the pressings a lot from it. I don’t think I really got ripped off price-wise. I also didn’t get a bargain. The bigger issues were fixed with Dexter and Shorter. But my view of VMP had been declining and the Dexter jacket put me over the top into probably never buying any VMP products again. @Lee Newman’s description was 100% right. They tried to pull the wool over our eyes while acting like they had somehow rediscovered the original art work for Dexter Calling in a week after scouring the earth for it before it went to print. There are too many good record labels out there for me to spend my money on now that don’t treat their customers as idiots.
Thirding this notion. VMP may put out a good product some of the time, but it's they way they run things that is the major problem. The anthology is a microcosm of it all. Not only did they lie more than once, they denied it and deleted the evidence. The only real moderating of that FB page they did was to make sure no evidence of how bad they looked there remained. A lot of people were rightly outraged at having paid such a premium and then being treated basically like assholes by the company themselves. Everything about how they handled the Gordon jacket was horrendously bad, not least of which was how they allowed a group of people to go around attacking and insulting anyone who expressed any disappointment over it. And now people go around saying how great VMP handled the Anthology because even though there were some mistakes they fixed them, completely forgetting that after the very first mistake they lied multiple times, tried to put the blame on Blue Note, then claimed they tried extremely hard and found it impossible to recreate, then magically were able to fix it after a major outcry that they tried desperately to silence. If we hadn't literally FORCED them to fix that mistake, it seems obvious that it follows they wouldnt have bothered with any of the others.

VMP are bullshit artists who talk a talk they're seemingly incapable of walking. It's totally cool if people dig them still inspite of that because they dig the products, but if anyone is under the illusion they are a good, well-run company, or that they are above using deceptive practices, then that person either has has somehow missed a lot of stuff (which is very easy to do actually) or there must be something wrong with them.

I feel like I only want to start buying jazz on vinyl because it really is the best when you get high quality pressings like the Tone Poet or VMP Blue Note or MOFI releases etc. When 50’s, 60’s and 70’s Jazz, Soul, Funk or Disco albums get a very high quality vinyl reissue, it’s legit the best thing ever!

Like those Chic reissues that Friday Music did (Chic, C’est Chic & Risqué) sound sooooo good and it’s the best spinning it. The amount of joy you get from having classic music like that being brought to life on vinyl like that is priceless.
I totally agree with you right now. But when I first started out collecting and listening to vinyl and jazz, I was a poor college student who couldn't afford to spend $40+ on one record. I went to flea markets and thrift stores and bought records for $10 and under. It made me more adventurous in my music listening because if I was only paying $5-10 on a record and I didn't love it, I wouldn't feel awful for having bought it. I assume this is what they were trying to do with the 75th series. Put out albums you probably have heard of jazz-wise (and some you haven't) but for $10 or so a piece, it was a good way to get into jazz music if you had a record player and didn't want to dive right into the MOFI/Music Matters, etc price point.

Sorry in advance for being nosy: Out of curiosity, credited to which account? Only asking because they made a big deal out of Anthology being on a different e-commerce platform, so if I’m understanding correctly, either a) they credited your unrelated store account, which there was no guarantee you’d have since non-members could subscribe to Anthology, or b) they credited your Anthology account and your only chance to use it is to re-sub to the next one.

credited my main account, I suppose since I was a member still?

I totally agree with you right now. But when I first started out collecting and listening to vinyl and jazz, I was a poor college student who couldn't afford to spend $40+ on one record. I went to flea markets and thrift stores and bought records for $10 and under. It made me more adventurous in my music listening because if I was only paying $5-10 on a record and I didn't love it, I wouldn't feel awful for having bought it. I assume this is what they were trying to do with the 75th series. Put out albums you probably have heard of jazz-wise (and some you haven't) but for $10 or so a piece, it was a good way to get into jazz music if you had a record player and didn't want to dive right into the MOFI/Music Matters, etc price point.

Don Was essentially said just this.... that series was targeting new, younger listeners who didn't have the cash for taking risks with albums over $20.

credited my main account, I suppose since I was a member still?
Hm, yeah that's what I figured. Interesting choice to tell customers they can't use store credits to purchase Anthology because of the different platform, then use store credits as a way to placate Anthology customers who experience issues.

Hm, yeah that's what I figured. Interesting choice to tell customers they can't use store credits to purchase Anthology because of the different platform, then use store credits as a way to placate Anthology customers who experience issues.
Eh, I don't find it that odd but that's just me. They used shopify for Anthology. Would have been sketchy if they used the same platform as VMP and wouldn't let people use store credits. My local record store has 3 locations in NYC and they only let me use store credit at the one location I sell stuff at.

And to placate the customers, giving VMP store credit also makes the most sense if you are still a subscriber. They aren't going to give you credit (nor would i want credit) towards the next anthology since it's likely going to be shopify again and there is nothing else in the shopify store to buy.

They always offer store credit first instead of a refund because it's a smart business move. Store credit is essentially worth less money for them than if they refunded you. I stopped my VMP membership shortly after Anthology but still had some preorder arrive with skips, and they were happy to refund my credit card instead of store credit which was nice...

Eh, I don't find it that odd but that's just me. They used shopify for Anthology. Would have been sketchy if they used the same platform as VMP and wouldn't let people use store credits. My local record store has 3 locations in NYC and they only let me use store credit at the one location I sell stuff at.

And to placate the customers, giving VMP store credit also makes the most sense if you are still a subscriber. They aren't going to give you credit (nor would i want credit) towards the next anthology since it's likely going to be shopify again and there is nothing else in the shopify store to buy.

They always offer store credit first instead of a refund because it's a smart business move. Store credit is essentially worth less money for them than if they refunded you. I stopped my VMP membership shortly after Anthology but still had some preorder arrive with skips, and they were happy to refund my credit card instead of store credit which was nice...
Oh yeah, I get why it makes sense from the perspective of locking in more purchases. It’s just a little bit of crossing the streams in terms of how frequently they proclaimed this was a completely different, separate thing.

And what would they offer in the event that someone was an Anthology subscriber but not a current VMP member? Nothing?

Oh yeah, I get why it makes sense from the perspective of locking in more purchases. It’s just a little bit of crossing the streams in terms of how frequently they proclaimed this was a completely different, separate thing.

And what would they offer in the event that someone was an Anthology subscriber but not a current VMP member? Nothing?
They offered refunds to some people who either cancelled or returned it as far as I know. You can always ask for a refund. I know people typically get store credits because that is what is offered, but I have also asked for a refund INSTEAD of store credit and they have never said no to me.

I always thought the "can't use VMP credits to buy Anthology" reasoning was ridiculous. As a customer, you changing e-commerce platforms is really of no concern to me. It's the same company.
I dunno...first example I can think of...but if I have a gift card at Old Navy and want to use it at J Crew, I'm not sure I would be able to even though they are owned by the same company. I sort of viewed it from that angle, but I also didn't have many store credits and can see why people would think otherwise!

They offered refunds to some people who either cancelled or returned it as far as I know. You can always ask for a refund. I know people typically get store credits because that is what is offered, but I have also asked for a refund INSTEAD of store credit and they have never said no to me.
I always thought that was interesting too. In the handful of times I had issues as a VMP customer, even the time when I suggested a partial store credit, I was only ever given a full refund to my card.

I dunno...first example I can think of...but if I have a gift card at Old Navy and want to use it at J Crew, I'm not sure I would be able to even though they are owned by the same company. I sort of viewed it from that angle, but I also didn't have many store credits and can see why people would think otherwise!
Yeah, but being owned by the same parent company and offering a new product at the same company aren't really the same.

Back