Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I always thought that was interesting too. In the handful of times I had issues as a VMP customer, even the time when I suggested a partial store credit, I was only ever given a full refund to my card.
Weird! I was always offered store credit when I was a member (and happily accepted because I used it toward my subscription). But when I cancelled and just had some leftover pre-orders arriving and had issues with those, they gave me a refund. Maybe it just depends on who you got with customer service. The other thing is maybe if you already had a ton of credits, they would rather give you a refund at that point...who knows with how they run things haha Maybe they just flip a coin or throw something at a dart board.

Yeah, but being owned by the same parent company and offering a new product at the same company aren't really the same.
Sure--that's fair. I didn't think it was that big a deal but I can see why some people did. If I had $200+ in store credit somehow, I'd want to use it for something like Anthology. I also still think VMP is looking for investors or to sell the company, so $$ numbers on something like Anthology to have a proof of concept for selling more expensive bundles would be important to them. That's likely the real reasoning behind it...

It is on Elemental which is out of Spain (?), but licensed from Blue Note. Not sure about the mastering and pressing quality. Nothing is mentioned on the Discogs page for this release or any of the other random Elemental titles I looked at.

Edit: It is also available from Amazon.co.uk for about half of what Mr. Bongo Worldwide has it.

Edit2: The Elemental titles are digitally sourced but well pressed. The consensus seems to be that they are better than the Blue Note 75s.

Last edited:
It is on Elemental which is out of Spain (?), but licensed from Blue Note. Not sure about the mastering and pressing quality. Nothing is mentioned on the Discogs page for this release or any of the other random Elemental titles I looked at.

Edit: It is also available from Amazon.co.uk for about half of what Mr. Bongo Worldwide has it.

Edit2: The Elemental titles are digitally sourced but well pressed. The consensus seems to be that they are better than the Blue Note 75s.

I concur. I have a few Elemental records and they sound good for the price (I have a T-Bone Walker, Dexter Gordon Live at Espace Cardin and a few of their Jorge Ben's).

Looks like Bobby Hutcherson's "Montara" is not going to be exclusive to the Blue Note Anthology box. Not that I really expected it, I suppose. New reissue out in Europe if anyone's interested in picking it up that missed out on the box. Fab album!

I concur. I have a few Elemental records and they sound good for the price (I have a T-Bone Walker, Dexter Gordon Live at Espace Cardin and a few of their Jorge Ben's).
I picked this up from Amazon for £10. Its a superb pressing for the price - on par with the BN80 IMO. Im not familiar with the quality of the VMP one, but unless they did something really special I cant see there being a huge difference in quality.

FYI elemental also have released 'Big John Patton - Oh Baby!'. I picked that up at the same time for the same price. Haven't spun it yet but if its as good as Montara I will be happy.

... Maybe they just flip a coin or throw something at a dart board.

I'm picturing someone in the VMP office asking another employee whether they should offer a customer store credit or a refund, and the other employee distractedly responding, "I don't know, maybe just flip a coin or throw something at the dart board." So they consider their options and pick up like a stapler, or a shoe, and throw it at the dart board, and it just sadly falls to the ground on its side, and now they're right back where they started. They're confused and don't really know what they expected to happen when they threw the stapler (or shoe) at the dart board - they hadn't taken the time to decide which outcome of throwing the object at the dart board would result in them giving the customer a refund, or store credit, for that matter. And after realizing the futility of trying to make such a complicated decision, they just decide to head out for the rest of the day because they just did NOT sign up for this shit.

So maybe not a Motown Anthology? Seems odd timing.

Maybe these were five titles offered to VMP that they ultimately didn't choose to go with, like with Blue Note?

Somebody on reddit was arguing that this might actually make it MORE likely to be a Motown anthology since Motown is re-releasing some albums now...but I agree that it seems weird to release this right now.

Somebody on reddit was arguing that this might actually make it MORE likely to be a Motown anthology since Motown is re-releasing some albums now...but I agree that it seems weird to release this right now.

Yeah, I would think this makes it more likely. It was rumored and heavily hinted to be Motown for awhile and now Motown is releasing all this Anniversary stuff.

Also this Motown in Mono appears to be a bundle, not a box set. Not a huge difference but not quite as repetitive.

Back