U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

so if the uturn is fitted for a grado or an ortofon it wont have the right antiskate for a nagaoka?
If you have the original 8.5” unipivot arm, there’s no anti skate at all- by design.

If you have the second generation 9” gimbaled arm, it has anti skate pre set at the factory. Non user adjustable. It’s set to be acceptable for pretty much any $300 and under cartridge one would likely use with it. Nagaoka, Grado, A/T, Ortofon, whatever. And you’ll get good results. Not optimum, but certainly acceptable.

The idea here of course is that few will put an expensive cartridge on an entry level table. Nor should they. An expensive cartridge won’t perform anywhere near its best (if at all- my new cartridge would be worlds off) on an entry level model.

Herb Reichert came to the same conclusion that I did in his latest Stereophile column: you are better off with a really nice table and an inexpensive cartridge than the other way around. You’ll get the best the cartridge can offer, which can be surprisingly good. Then the table is able to scale upwards should you decide to buy a more expensive cartridge.

You are also better off with too little anti skate than too much. Most people set up anti skate incorrectly anyway.

The idea here of course is that few will put an expensive cartridge on an entry level table. Nor should they. An expensive cartridge won’t preform anywhere near its best (if at all- my new cartridge would be worlds off) on an entry level model.
I just am nervous about that destroying my records or something

what one would you recommend?

amazon link please?
I mean a level is a level, you can get a bubble:
UBEI Level tools 32mm x 7mm Circular Bubble Spirit Level for Tripod, Phonograph, Turntable Etc. (4 pack) Amazon product ASIN B07SS4FN12
or like a tiny frame one:
6Pcs/Set Small Bubble Level Frame Mural Hanging 10x10x29mm Mini Square Spirit Level Picture Hanging Levels Mark Measuring Instruments Layout Tools Amazon product ASIN B07VTQG17V
Something like this would be useful for other things:
Magnetic Torpedo Level, Spirit Level 3 Bubble Level Torpedo Magnetic Level Bubble Measuring Tool (6 inch) Amazon product ASIN B07PHGDDWL

I mean a level is a level, you can get a bubble:
UBEI Level tools 32mm x 7mm Circular Bubble Spirit Level for Tripod, Phonograph, Turntable Etc. (4 pack) Amazon product ASIN B07SS4FN12
or like a tiny frame one:
6Pcs/Set Small Bubble Level Frame Mural Hanging 10x10x29mm Mini Square Spirit Level Picture Hanging Levels Mark Measuring Instruments Layout Tools Amazon product ASIN B07VTQG17V
Something like this would be useful for other things:
Magnetic Torpedo Level, Spirit Level 3 Bubble Level Torpedo Magnetic Level Bubble Measuring Tool (6 inch) Amazon product ASIN B07PHGDDWL
Lol I just bought the audio technica one

Is that one a weight as well?
no... thats why i was so unsure, because i was planning on getting a record weight too and i dunno whether to combine them like that or something else (though it was 30 bucks i feel like i made the right decision and i already bought it on amazon so i'll just accept it)

This is weird

Apparently the platter is level
16108282565305533267050341866683.jpg

Was I just freaking out over nothing but a super small deviation?

(I don't have a 45 RPM adapter so I can't put it directly on the spindle)

Back