U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the AT wire lead upgrade. I know you highly recommended but wasn't sure what differences you were hearing.

I "think" everything sounds more polished/rounded. It seems to have taken a sharpness or precision off my sound. Kind of moves me back in the direction towards the 103R cart sound with better mids and a little warmer. But that's just a short feedback experience.
It’s just a better more refined sound. More resolution without becoming analytical. I never would have thought that a quad of 1” wire would make such a difference.

Orbit Theory now available with 2m Bronze.

Is my original U-turn good enough (I heard the stuff like tonearm and antiskate are cheap and maybe that's partially why I'm not listening to my records as often). I am curious about others when one person on a discord said that the project DC was much better and different from the uturn so now I dunno if my uturn is cheap crap or if it's perfectly fine

Is my original U-turn good enough (I heard the stuff like tonearm and antiskate are cheap and maybe that's partially why I'm not listening to my records as often). I am curious about others when one person on a discord said that the project DC was much better and different from the uturn so now I dunno if my uturn is cheap crap or if it's perfectly fine
The U-turn is a very nice entry level turntable. However, it may not be the right table for you. It’s one of two that are considered far and away best for their price. You can spend more money and get a nicer table. Whether or not that means you will listen to more records is any one’s guess. I can tell you I listen to a lot of records and my u-turn has been great and I plan on upgrading one day, but it will be the last thing I upgrade because I like it. Ymmv as always. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a cheap piece of crap.

It's completely fine. I still use mine in my office set up on a regular basis. A Pro-Ject DC is like 2-3 times the price so it better sound better. Either that or whoever bought the Pro-Ject is trying to justify their expense. Don't worry about it. Just enjoy your table.

Its not a cheap piece of crap. But your perception of that is what's most likely fueling your lack of interest in spinning vinyl, that said, you need to understand your budget. In the U-Turn price pool, it's a great quality bang for your buck turntable.

If you're looking for "better", if your not looking to spend in the $700-1000 range on a new turntable, sit tight with the Orbit, maybe give a different cart a try. I know some might recommend going with the Fluance, which is an option, but if you feel the Orbit is a cheap piece of crap, I think you're going to feel the same way about the Fluance in time. I'd still recommend saving for an actual upgrade if you're still passionate about the hobby/vinyl.

Last edited:
Hey @duke86fan something I just thought of… what cart are you using? I found that the ort my u-turn came with was not for me. I found it bright and fatiguing. This was the stock 5e or whatever. Switching to grado was one of the best things I’ve done besides ditching my Atlp60. It’s possible a cart swap may make a big difference (and ultimately is usually cheaper than a table).

Hey @duke86fan something I just thought of… what cart are you using? I found that the ort my u-turn came with was not for me. I found it bright and fatiguing. This was the stock 5e or whatever. Switching to grado was one of the best things I’ve done besides ditching my Atlp60. It’s possible a cart swap may make a big difference (and ultimately is usually cheaper than a table).
@duke86fan likes bright and fatiguing. Didn’t dig the Grado. Different strokes for different folks. 😊

@duke86fan likes bright and fatiguing. Didn’t dig the Grado. Different strokes for different folks. 😊
i realized i actually like things with very bassy but also having a good high end.. when i had grado headphones i had to boost the bass all the term so it distorted.. and now i used the sundaras and now with a 2M blue its pretty easy to listen to everything.. i didn't retry the grado though because thats broken now i think

I wasn’t suggesting he use a grado… lol
i realized i actually like things with very bassy but also having a good high end.. when i had grado headphones i had to boost the bass all the term so it distorted.. and now i used the sundaras and now with a 2M blue its pretty easy to listen to everything.. i didn't retry the grado though because thats broken now i think
Well there you go. Was just a thought.

U Turn Theory review is up at Analog Planet:

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/u-turn’s-orbit-theory-turntable-transforms-high-performance-imaging-dynamics-and-tonality
Was hoping for more of a review of the table and not just a review of the sound qualities of the Ortofon Blue...

You still leaning towards grabbing a Theory?
I think I am. I've been going back and forth with the StudioDeck and the Orbit I have and to be honest I can't get past the motor hum and belt squeak, however slight they are. I also really didn't find as big of a jump in sound quality as the new speakers and preamp gave me. I just find the U-turn more approachable, fits my needs, and is more my comfort zone. I think the Theory will give me enough to play around with new carts and I think I've got more than enough room to grow the the preamp and speakers. Plus the look of it fits the bill for what I ultimately plan in my listening space. I know, I know looks shouldn't matter, but I mean come on I am going to be a sucker for solid walnut.

Back