U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

Side note from Ben at U-Turn, only launching with the 2M Blue, the Bronze may be added as an additional option at some point, but no other cartridges are being considered at the moment.

I suppose the bronze might be a dog but it’s at least the same generator as the black so you could try to flog the stylus and stick a black lvb on there…

Side note from Ben at U-Turn, only launching with the 2M Blue, the Bronze may be added as an additional option at some point, but no other cartridges are being considered at the moment.
Don’t think I’m crapping on the Blue, because I’m not. It would still be a good deal if it came with a Red, if only to make it plug and play.

So considering I got my used StudioDeck with an Art9 for a song. I'm really curious to hear what you three think about this being a side-step?

I do like the StudioDeck but there are jut some things I can't move past like the squeaky belt and the motor hum. Plus it's gigantic. Thinking that maybe even if the Theory is a bit of a downgrade in some ways I maybe get back to some of the fun and carefree attitude the Orbit always gave me. Plus that 3 year warranty seems nice.

So considering I got my used StudioDeck with an Art9 for a song. I'm really curious to hear what you three think about this being a side-step?

I do like the StudioDeck but there are jut some things I can't move past like the squeaky belt and the motor hum. Plus it's gigantic. Thinking that maybe even if the Theory is a bit of a downgrade in some ways I maybe get back to some of the fun and carefree attitude the Orbit always gave me. Plus that 3 year warranty seems nice.
I think the platter and isolation are likely better on the StudioDeck. The Tonearm is also longer, which translates to less distortion. Dunno the relative characteristics of the plinth.

Moving the ART9 to the Theory could be interesting. You could offer the StudioDeck for sale with a new cartridge.

Side step or not, if things bug you with the StudioDeck, then I’d make the move. You interact with your turntable all the time. Get one you enjoy.

Gotta say I hate the name. Like it’s a turntable in theory. Like Spirit Airlines, the worst airline I’ve ever flown. It’s an airline- in spirit.

I think the platter and isolation are likely better on the StudioDeck. The Tonearm is also longer, which translates to less distortion. Dunno the relative characteristics of the plinth.
I’ve given the longer tonearm some thought. Given the same alignment, the MoFi will set the cartridge rearward in the headshell. The Technics will set it forward. Is there really a difference?

Let me share a bit of something. Coming from the stand point of two systems with more than I could have ever wanted, to coming down to one simple question................what do you want?

Little things mean more than we think. When I started looking at what I had, and realistically looking at what I wanted, not only now, but how I wanted to treat this in the long-run, it became a very different journey. I don't think lateral moves are always a bad thing and you can't always equate the move to the price either, especially now a days.

Just bring a little common sense to the decision, you're not talking about going from a SD to an Orbit, you're looking at a very viable alternate to the SD with no blaring down side. Like @HiFi Guy mentioned and what I'm starting to see/hear, these "differences" on paper and backed by numbers aren't always what they're cracked up to be.

Go with your gut and a little insight from the "audiophile" nerds around here and you'll be happy with where you land.

Last edited:
Let me share a bit of something. Coming from the stand point of two systems with more than I could have ever wanted to coming down to one simple question................what do you want?

Little things mean more than we think. When I started looking at what I had, and realistically looking at what I wanted, not only now, but how I wanted to treat this in the long-run, it became a very different journey. I don't think lateral moves are always a bad thing and you can't always equate the move to the price either, especially now a days.

Just bring a little common sense to the decision, you're not talking about going from a SD to an Orbit, you're looking at a very viable alternate to the SD with no blaring down side. Like @HiFi Guy mentioned and what I'm starting to see/hear, these "differences" on paper and backed by numbers aren't always what they're cracked up to be.

Go with your gut and a little insight from the "audiophile" nerds around here and you'll be happy with where you land.
This is exactly what I was wrestling with. I'm not really looking for the "upgrade" now. I think what I found with the StudioDeck was that while it gave me great build quality and room to grow, I stared to wonder if that's really what I want to get out of vinyl in the first place.

Bottom line is that I was never disappointed with my Orbit and if they had come out with this a few months ago before I snagged the StudioDeck I probably would have put this at the top of the list.

For me the price is something I can live with because I have enough carts that selling an Ortofon for a slight loss still puts this in a palatable price range. So comparing a new $1400 StudioDeck with what would probably turn out to be an $800 Theory seems like the move I would have preferred to make.

No one is probably going to talk me out of this. But it's great to hear that people have similar thinking here. Hell even Steve Guttenberg had decent things to say about it.

I’ve given the longer tonearm some thought. Given the same alignment, the MoFi will set the cartridge rearward in the headshell. The Technics will set it forward. Is there really a difference?
Any additional length from the stylus to the pivot will result in reduced cartridge twist with regards to the groove over the course of the record side. The Orbit Theory has a 220mm effective tonearm length (8.6") vs the 10" arm on the StudioDeck, so the difference should be pretty noticeable. I'm not sure you can make up for 1.4" of tonearm length with headshell adjustments.

edit: I'm not suggesting it's a make-or-break issue, but it is an objective difference in favor of the Studiodeck.

I'm not suggesting it's a make-or-break issue, but it is an objective difference in favor of the Studiodeck.
That's kind of what I'm talking about, ya, on paper and even from a practical application it's "Better", but how much the better is worth is going to vary person to person, system to system. That's why I'm leaning towards not getting overly hung up on these sorts of things, valid yes, but not sure if they sway the pendulum as wide as the end number/outcome might suggest.

That's kind of what I'm talking about, ya, on paper and even from a practical application it's "Better", but how much the better is worth is going to vary person to person, system to system. That's why I'm leaning towards not getting overly hung up on these sorts of things, valid yes, but not sure if they sway the pendulum as wide as the end number/outcome might suggest.

Yep people keep saying my little tonearm should be prone to IGD and in 10 years I’ve never have IGD issues. Eventually I just zone out the chatter…

Any additional length from the stylus to the pivot will result in reduced cartridge twist with regards to the groove over the course of the record side. The Orbit Theory has a 220mm effective tonearm length (8.6") vs the 10" arm on the StudioDeck, so the difference should be pretty noticeable. I'm not sure you can make up for 1.4" of tonearm length with headshell adjustments.

edit: I'm not suggesting it's a make-or-break issue, but it is an objective difference in favor of the Studiodeck.
I totally get what you are saying.

There’s a 15/16” difference between the effective length of the Technics and the MoFi. You have to account for overhang. The Technics alignment is closer to Stevenson where MoFi alignment is Loefgren A. If they were aligned the same, the difference would be less.

I’ve always aligned to Baerwald because on paper it offers the lowest average distortion across the playing surface. I listened to 3 alignments when I had the GR and came to the conclusion that I preferred the Technics factory alignment. Despite math and theory, it sounded the best. I’m not smarter than the factory engineers.

What really sets the Theory apart is the magnesium arm. One of the British mags measured arm resonance between the GR and the G. The aluminum GR has the normal 4-5 resonances at various frequencies. The magnesium G has precisely 1. It’s the lowest number of resonances I’ve ever seen. I think it’s a lot of the reason it sounds better than the other 2, including one with a longer arm.

Also, keep in mind the UD, the GR and the G all spec exactly the same, but sound completely different. The UTurn Theory specs substantially better than the Orbit. Given that @folsom_lives was happy with his Orbit, I can’t see a reason why he wouldn’t be thrilled with the Theory with the ART9. The Ortofon isn’t in the same state, much less the ballpark.

is your belt always squeaky? or just on start up? i give the platter a little spin manually (do this with both my TTs) before turning on the motor and don't hear the squeak anymore ever.

can't argue with the size haha. the thing is huge. the uturn is definitely intriguing! love the look of it.

All I can add is, if switching to a new TT, detachable headshell was top of my list and recommended anyone consider it highly.
There are quite a few benefits with this functionality, especially setup ease.
May not be for everyone but cart swaps are so easy with this tonearm setup now.

is your belt always squeaky? or just on start up? i give the platter a little spin manually (do this with both my TTs) before turning on the motor and don't hear the squeak anymore ever.

can't argue with the size haha. the thing is huge. the uturn is definitely intriguing! love the look of it.
Just squeaky on startup. But it’s become kind of a Pavlovian response thing. It annoys me and just doing it every time puts me in a mood.

All I can add is, if switching to a new TT, detachable headshell was top of my list and recommended anyone consider it highly.
There are quite a few benefits with this functionality, especially setup ease.
May not be for everyone but cart swaps are so easy with this tonearm setup now.
That’s part of the reason I switched. A one piece arm has the advantage of far fewer signal breaks though, so there is a trade off.

That’s part of the reason I switched. A one piece arm has the advantage of far fewer signal breaks though, so there is a trade off.
I'm curious about your thoughts on the AT wire lead upgrade. I know you highly recommended but wasn't sure what differences you were hearing.

I "think" everything sounds more polished/rounded. It seems to have taken a sharpness or precision off my sound. Kind of moves me back in the direction towards the 103R cart sound with better mids and a little warmer. But that's just a short feedback experience.

Back