U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

Up and running. All I can say so far is that this table feels like a familiar friend. Everything was in the same place and setup was a snap. I can also see why one of the reviewers focused mainly on the sound qualities of the Ortofon because that’s all I really notice. The table is adding nothing in a good way.

Build quality feels a good step above the Orbit but not light years. The arm is the real star. The counterweight is also good but the scale for weight is not as accurate as I would like. But it does make fine adjustments a breeze.

The motor is dead silent and NO BELT SQUEAK!

So far pretty pleased. I think this’ll be it for me on tables.

Now to hook up an SAE 1000…

View attachment 159082
Congrats! Have enough hours yet to compare and contrast to the StudioDeck?

Congrats! Have enough hours yet to compare and contrast to the StudioDeck?
Gonna give it some heavy rotations tomorrow. I want to say that it’s in the same ball park but I’m sure some people would disagree. For me the ease is use and approachability far outweigh the spec sheet disparity.

For a $1k table and comparing it to a decked out StudioDeck I don’t think is fair to Uturn. But a StudioDeck with feet upgrades a dust cover and installed cart is going for what $1,500 or more? I think the Theory deserves to be in the conversation.

Spinning the recent reissue of Rhum Rhapsodies and I gotta say, some things are clicking into place here.

Adjusted the gain on the Sutherland back down to 40dB since I had to turn the amp way down at 46 with the Ortofon and it was sounding a bit out of control at higher volumes. And man the horns on this are just smooth a silk. Another thing I noticed is that the low-level hum that I had with the Grado and old Orbit is gone. Not that I noticed it over the music anyway, but again just little things that bothered me subconsciously. It's also tapping into something that was missing from what I had before in these Lintons. They seem to be coming to life as well.

The other bonus is the addition of the anti-skate means no more abrupt slide of the cart into the first groove that would happen 2/3rds of the time with the old Orbit.

The speed knob is also really well done and it has a smooth action, not a break-then-make feel of the old rocker switch. There's no loud CLICK and abrupt startup.

I'm starting to see more and more positives about this table. Small stuff but it really adds up to something I feel good about pulling the trigger on.

Spinning the recent reissue of Rhum Rhapsodies and I gotta say, some things are clicking into place here.

Adjusted the gain on the Sutherland back down to 40dB since I had to turn the amp way down at 46 with the Ortofon and it was sounding a bit out of control at higher volumes. And man the horns on this are just smooth a silk. Another thing I noticed is that the low-level hum that I had with the Grado and old Orbit is gone. Not that I noticed it over the music anyway, but again just little things that bothered me subconsciously. It's also tapping into something that was missing from what I had before in these Lintons. They seem to be coming to life as well.

The other bonus is the addition of the anti-skate means no more abrupt slide of the cart into the first groove that would happen 2/3rds of the time with the old Orbit.

The speed knob is also really well done and it has a smooth action, not a break-then-make feel of the old rocker switch. There's no loud CLICK and abrupt startup.

I'm starting to see more and more positives about this table. Small stuff but it really adds up to something I feel good about pulling the trigger on.
Honestly, 9 times out of 10 it IS the little things that add to the end user experience. I'm glad your enjoying it :)

Gorgeous, congrats on this!

I love my Orbit and I'm happy to see U-Turn go up market with such a solid product. I'm not upgrading today, but when I do, this is on the short list of tables.
The best decision they made was not to compete with Fluance-ish table in the "Entry Level" and just go up the chain for the above average enthusiast/audiophile ;)

Anecdotally, last night I was spinning some records and really just sitting back closing my eyes in a dark room.

I found myself disappointed that the record was over, like I just was left wanting more in a good way. I also looked forward to walking up and just seeing the table again. The speed knob and tonearm just have a much more tactile feel and there is this noise of a the spindle hole sliding over the slightly grooved spindle. Not to get too poetic, but like the faint sound of a zipper on your favorite jacket.

I can say I never felt that way about the StudioDeck. From the slight motor hum to that damn belt squeak on startup. The weird click/pop the power button made, the sheer SIZE of it. I just have to say the Theory puts me in that mood to enjoy the music. And I think that is all I really need.

For anyone thinking about the new Theory, U-turn is working on a lighter hardwood plinth option. My guess is it will be flatcut maple like the Special.

Would this anyone be someone we know...?
Someone may have made a request on IG and received a positive response...

I wanted to share, because I hate when I pull the trigger, only to see an option I would have preferred become available shortly thereafter.

Last edited:
Back