U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

I think I am. I've been going back and forth with the StudioDeck and the Orbit I have and to be honest I can't get past the motor hum and belt squeak, however slight they are. I also really didn't find as big of a jump in sound quality as the new speakers and preamp gave me. I just find the U-turn more approachable, fits my needs, and is more my comfort zone. I think the Theory will give me enough to play around with new carts and I think I've got more than enough room to grow the the preamp and speakers. Plus the look of it fits the bill for what I ultimately plan in my listening space. I know, I know looks shouldn't matter, but I mean come on I am going to be a sucker for solid walnut.
I'd be all over that Theory for the price if I didn't already purchase something else.

Are you ordering without a cart? To my ears the Blue is a nice warm cart. The Bronze is a bit bright. It's like red/bronze, blue/black.
No option yet for no cart, but I have some new neighbors who are looking for some new gear.

I still give it a spin, don't get me wrong but I fell prey to a certain HiFi Dude and his SAE cart frenzy... and those were supposedly made by capital G god himself. So I don't really need another cart.

No option yet for no cart, but I have some new neighbors who are looking for some new gear.

I still give it a spin, don't get me wrong but I fell prey to a certain HiFi Dude and his SAE cart frenzy... and those were supposedly made by capital G god himself. So I don't really need another cart.
Ha. Yep I've had my earmuffs on with the the SAE frenzy. Enjoying the Golding that @AnthonyI set me up with and I still have a Grade Gold3/8mz as a backup. You'll be able to move the Blue easily to your neighbor, but you might actually like it. I ran a Blue before I upgraded decks and thought it was a good neutral cart.

Ha. Yep I've had my earmuffs on with the the SAE frenzy. Enjoying the Golding that @AnthonyI set me up with and I still have a Grade Gold3/8mz as a backup. You'll be able to move the Blue easily to your neighbor, but you might actually like it. I ran a Blue before I upgraded decks and thought it was a good neutral cart.
I haven't actually seen the rig he's running yet, so this may be a lost cause. He just caught me raking leaves in a Plaid Room shirt. I think he might be a newbie still but soon he will be one of us...

I haven't actually seen the rig he's running yet, so this may be a lost cause. He just caught me raking leaves in a Plaid Room shirt. I think he might be a newbie still but soon he will be one of us...
Ha busted! I need one of those shirts and maybe a Colemine. I need to road trip down (from Flint/Detroit) to the shop soon.

Ha busted! I need one of those shirts and maybe a Colemine. I need to road trip down (from Flint/Detroit) to the shop soon.
I know. He was looking at my shirt and I was like "eyes up here buddy"...

I was surprised after talking to my neighbors how many actually had a small collection. I then slowly realized I am the only one with "a problem".

😬

Well the holiday bonus looks to be clearing the checking account tomorrow morning. So the question will really become how good it will look and sound with an SAE cart...
Looks are subjective, but I think it’ll look great.

Performance wise, I can’t see a reason why the Theory/SAE wouldn’t be a good combination.

Up and running. All I can say so far is that this table feels like a familiar friend. Everything was in the same place and setup was a snap. I can also see why one of the reviewers focused mainly on the sound qualities of the Ortofon because that’s all I really notice. The table is adding nothing in a good way.

Build quality feels a good step above the Orbit but not light years. The arm is the real star. The counterweight is also good but the scale for weight is not as accurate as I would like. But it does make fine adjustments a breeze.

The motor is dead silent and NO BELT SQUEAK!

So far pretty pleased. I think this’ll be it for me on tables.

Now to hook up an SAE 1000…

42519F79-E29C-4B53-B940-2CCE4D58DD21.jpeg

Up and running. All I can say so far is that this table feels like a familiar friend. Everything was in the same place and setup was a snap. I can also see why one of the reviewers focused mainly on the sound qualities of the Ortofon because that’s all I really notice. The table is adding nothing in a good way.

Build quality feels a good step above the Orbit but not light years. The arm is the real star. The counterweight is also good but the scale for weight is not as accurate as I would like. But it does make fine adjustments a breeze.

The motor is dead silent and NO BELT SQUEAK!

So far pretty pleased. I think this’ll be it for me on tables.

Now to hook up an SAE 1000…

View attachment 159082
I think the SAE’s gonna tickle your fancy.

Back